Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London for college

Options
  • 03-08-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hey

I know there's probably loads about moving to London on this - sorry!

I've just been offered a place on a postgrad course in London so I'm moving over for the start of September. I've had a look on gumtree for accom but are there any other good sites? Also is it worth it to contact an agency?

I also need to open a British bank account - any ideas which one is the best to go with? I've also been told that I need a National Insurance number - how do I go about getting one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

sarmer wrote: »
    Hey

I've just been offered a place on a postgrad course in London so I'm moving over for the start of September. I've had a look on gumtree for accom but are there any other good sites? Also is it worth it to contact an agency?

I also need to open a British bank account - any ideas which one is the best to go with? I've also been told that I need a National Insurance number - how do I go about getting one?

For the bank account, they are all as bad as each other tbh, but if you are a student, look for the ones with the best goodies. I bank with Natwest who are ok. You will need ID, proof of address such as electricity bills etc and a reference from your Irish bank won't go amiss.

to get a NI number, work out where you will be living and get an interview at the local benefits office or job centre plus. directgov has all the info http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_10014073

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

sarmer wrote: »
    Hey

Moved over last September to do a postgrad as well :) Staying now as I've fallen in love with the place!

Re: accommodation: my best advice to you would be to book yourself on a flight for a day or two and come over. The turnover (especially at this time of year) for rented accom is ridiculously high. Places posted in the morning will literally be gone in the afternoon. Check if your college has housing services (most do) which can advise you on searching. If you're attending a Uni of London uni (made up of a lot of London unis) there is a housing search engine, but you need to contact them to ask for a username/password (you need to provide proof that you'll be a student - eg confirmation on a course etc).

Also, when in London, you can grab a copy of Loot which is sorta like Buy and Sell but with accom listings. Gumtree can be good, but remember to keep your wits about you and if it sounds/looks too good to be true online then it most definitely is a hoax. Do not, under any circumstances, hand over any cash w/o having viewed the place.

Have a read up on British housing laws - just so you can throw a few things about (like gas checks and deposit schemes) when you do meet with the landlord to see how legit he/she reacts. There are lots of scams, and I personally know of a few people who have been scammed and they're not idiots, but still got done over by crooks. Just be careful! :)

Agencies are a bit dodge in my experience; they can be ok but be prepared to pay for their services (usually a month's rent or so is the fee iirc). Also, they might sometimes show you places that you don't really want but insist that these are the only places left just so they can get it off their hands. Depending on what college you're going to, just remember that whatever the cost of your rent you have to add on travel costs and time.

Sometimes while the rent might be more expensive in a more central location you may be able to cycle/walk to uni instead which will save a packet on transport and therefore will equalise with living further out. The Tube is ferociously expensive and bus journeys, while the services are good, can take long routes that take ages. Just something to keep in mind!

Regarding a bank account, you can't get one without an address so sort out the accom first! They're all much of a muchness tbh, but as a student check that you've free banking. Also, check the cost of transferring money from Ireland (and check with your Irish bank if they charge). You'll need at least a debit (same as Laser, sorta) card/ATM... I remember some banks only offered ATM to "international" students, but other banks didn't consider Irish students to as international as others...! I went with Lloyds TSB in the end. No difference really although yer one gave me a free folder and some stationery when I opened the account... :D

You'll only really need an NI Number if you're planning on working, and as you're Irish the whole process is more of a formality than anything else. The only way to get it is by attending an 'interview'. Ring them to make an appointment (my appointment was about a month later); they ask a few questions like are you entitled to work, etc. At the interview you just need to bring identity docs, the usual formal stuff and evidence that you're looking for a job and actually need a NIN. Takes about 10mins. They give you your actual number on the spot and the plastic card (like the PPS cards) is sent out a few weeks later in the post. Simple :)

London is very student friendly, flash your student ID everywhere - it'll nearly always get some sorta discount. Similarly, if you are interested in theatre and are under 26, sign up for the National Theatre's Entry Pass card: it's free and you can then get £5 tickets (and an allowance for one £7.50 ticket for an u26 friend) for all NT productions. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sarmer

Thanks for the info! It's really helpful!

The theatre pass sounds great but unfortunately I'm 27 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

HSBC have a bank acc you can open with a Irish proof of address but will cost you..

What I did was when I moved in was get the water bill in my name and once it came in the door changed it back to the landlord.. They took that as proof for me.

That national theatre card is class just ordered one.. You can also get an under 26 rail card for £25 which gives you money off even on the underground. Any other cards about?? Or should we set up a london bargains thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

You'll only really need an NI Number if you're planning on working, and as you're Irish the whole process is more of a formality than anything else. The only way to get it is by attending an 'interview'. Ring them to make an appointment (my appointment was about a month later); they ask a few questions like are you entitled to work, etc. At the interview you just need to bring identity docs, the usual formal stuff and evidence that you're looking for a job and actually need a NIN. Takes about 10mins. They give you your actual number on the spot and the plastic card (like the PPS cards) is sent out a few weeks later in the post. Simple :)

Regarding the NIN; wait-time for the interview is listed as approximately six weeks; so a month might be optimistic. Great if you get it, but there ye go. They also wouldn't entertain an appointment until I was living in the country - I rang them when I'd been given the job offer (so I'm not a student).

Can't recall if they handed my my NIN on the spot at the interview; but a formal letter was sent out a day or so later with the number on it (not the card).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cheetara

high heels wrote: »
    HSBC have a bank acc you can open with a Irish proof of address but will cost you..

Tried a few banks but these were the easiest to set up a bank account with. I didn't even have an address over here when i set it up just needed to show my passport.
    Yes you have to sign a 12 month contract which costs between £6 and £8 a month but it's definitely worth checking it out esp. if you don't have accommodation set-up.

Advertisement