Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenage girls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I'm talking about guys who are 24/25/26 and upwards going for 15/16/17 year old girls. Different age bracket. I'd say a guy of 19 will have more in common with a 16/17 year old than a guy of 24 and I'd have no problem with that. I was specifically talking about this age difference because that was the age gap of the original poster's situation.

Ah I see you mean of the guy actually wanting those girls that age instead of just happening to like a girl that age. I don't mind that though, let those creeps be locked up.

Oh and to the post after me that you quoted, ignore him/her, it's a trolling post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Ah I see you mean of the guy actually wanting those girls that age instead of just happening to like a girl that age. I don't mind that though, let those creeps be locked up.

No, I'm talking about the age difference. 24 and 16 not the same as 19 and 16. Whether the guy likes her or wants to just have sex with her is irrelevant. It's not a level playing field.

No, I'm talking about the age difference. 24 and 16 not the same as 19 and 16. Whether the guy likes her or wants to just have sex with her is irrelevant. It's not a level playing field.

When I was about 17 in school I'd get on much better with girls about 14/15 then girls my own age. I never was attracted to them but it was just talking to them I was more comfortable with them than hearing about how wasted the girls my age got last night and had their tongues down some fella's throat because they were "locked".

Of course an even playing field depends on the players. If you have a 15 year old that studies hard and is a decent girl compared with the beer swilling "drunk" girl that will go off and have sex with any guy that "likes her a lot" you're gonna be happier spending time with the nicer girl.

Even 24 and 16 can be fair. It just depends on what both players want. I'm 22 myself and I wouldn't seek out a 16/17 year old girl but i wouldn't put it past myself to enjoy spending time and getting on well with a girl that age.

I do see your point, I really do. But you have to understand, unless it's actually "bad", I don't see a problem.

Now I might be 100% wrong in how I saw your point but... you're on about guys that actually go for the younger girls, right? Or do you just mean the age gap in general? If it's the latter then well... it's impossible to say it's wrong 100% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Wowee. Imagine all that effort registering and posting the comment above and still failing to be in any way funny. All that effort and use of your precious time for nothing. :(
    Please don't feed trolls.

When I was about 17 in school I'd get on much better with girls about 14/15 then girls my own age. I never was attracted to them but it was just talking to them I was more comfortable with them than hearing about how wasted the girls my age got last night and had their tongues down some fella's throat because they were "locked".

Of course an even playing field depends on the players. If you have a 15 year old that studies hard and is a decent girl compared with the beer swilling "drunk" girl that will go off and have sex with any guy that "likes her a lot" you're gonna be happier spending time with the nicer girl.

Even 24 and 16 can be fair. It just depends on what both players want. I'm 22 myself and I wouldn't seek out a 16/17 year old girl but i wouldn't put it past myself to enjoy spending time and getting on well with a girl that age.

I do see your point, I really do. But you have to understand, unless it's actually "bad", I don't see a problem.

Now I might be 100% wrong in how I saw your point but... you're on about guys that actually go for the younger girls, right? Or do you just mean the age gap in general? If it's the latter then well... it's impossible to say it's wrong 100% of the time.

Read the original post. I'm saying this situation is wrong in my book. It's not an even playing field.

• Advertisement

Read the original post. I'm saying this situation is wrong in my book. It's not an even playing field.

Well I did look again and sure... generally it's not fair but some girls and young fellas are alright together.

I do see exactly where you come from but you have to admit, not every older guy wants into her pants right away, just like not every girl is giving it away. However yes, you're right I think, about 90% (at least) of older guys hitting on teenage girls are doing it in a bad way, if it's easier to be with them than a more "mature" woman or for sexual reason or whatnot, it's not the best of reason.

I do see exactly where you come from but you have to admit, not every older guy wants into her pants right away, just like not every girl is giving it away.

I'm specifally talking about guys preying on girls for sex like the situation mentioned in the original post. Those guys at the party are not looking for a girl for conversation. This is what the thread is all about.

I'm specifally talking about guys preying on girls for sex like the situation mentioned in the original post. Those guys at the party are not looking for a girl for conversation. This is what the thread is all about.

Well you never said just for sex.

Then I have to admit it's a fetish that's about them being pure and innocent... :rolleyes:

Which they could have got if they kept their eyes out for that type of woman (not girl) their own damn age.

So yes, those guys need to be shot.

Well you never said just for sex.

Ah come on...that's fairly obvious what were talking about here. I'm hardly talking about older guys preying on younger girls for a game of Tiddlywinks now, am I? ;)

Ah come on...that's fairly obvious what were talking about here. I'm hardly talking about older guys preying on younger girls for a game of Tiddlywinks now, am I? ;)

A lot of guys like the "innocent girl" that older than the age of 20 or so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

A lot of guys like the "innocent girl" that older than the age of 20 or so...
    This is quite true, In our culture of casual sex, Some men are attracted too innocence. If the girls they are interested in are underage it is just wrong. The idea of a grown man seeking out women under 20 seems extremely strange.

It's not the "innocence" they want. It's the fact that they're kids. There's a big difference between wanting a woman that said no to sexual acts and a 15 year old girl that never had the chance to say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

I think men who take advantage and prey on underage girls should honestly be in jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I just read the whole thread. I cannot believe there is such sick men out there. I am 32 and my sis in law is 20. I treat her and her mates like babies not women

That must be pretty annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

CDfm first off, I know you have a 17 year old daughter so if I say anything that bothers you at all, I'm very sorry.
    I think you're misunderstanding me a bit.
    I understand that you're a father (I'm only 22 without kids) but let me ask you a question. .

You are alright and your simple post was thought provoking and got me thinking.
    Would you be more likely to say something to the guy that asks your daughter out after knowing that he's asked out 10/11/12+ girls around the age of your daughter or the guy that just met her at some social thing and just got on well with her?
    Keep in mind that the first guy has tried to date one or two of her friends and she knows this herself and still chooses to go out with him. Whereas with the second guy he just happened to like some nice girl that's also your daughter.

I was driving my daughter and my 20 y/o son and assorted friends to her ma's on Sunday and the issue came up about a guy who hangs around with young girls.

I didnt say anything but conversation went like this "X bit of a paedo"
    Personally, I think the first guy is a bit of a creep. The second guy could be too or he could just be a nice fella that didn't really care about the girl's age/maturity level.

A guy who is sensitive enough not to care about age is sensitive enough not to be in the situation. Creepy well you hope people acquire the life skills by 17 to identify that.
    I know you can't keep them from the dangers of the world but quite frankly if a girl that's 15/16/17 knows that the older guy wants her for her age and whatnot and she doesn't care, she's just happy that she has an older guy liking her*, someone has to step in.

*I don't mean a girl with low self-esteem who;s happy a guy likes her, I'm talking about the girls that likes that an older guy likes her.

You have to step in - but you actually can only step in if you know what is going on and you would hope that peer pressure , friends and a bit of common sense keep people safe.

So stepping in is more like " whoa there Neddy -you are only on the sidelines of my life anyway buddy and you only see what I allow you see".My post was really along the lines of it isn't an exact science and luckily enough I am friendly enough with my daughter to go clothes shopping with her etc.

My favorite saying is that " you can lead a horse to water but after that its up to the horse".

I dont have any sage wisdom here but she knows I wont/dont judge but I hope that after 17 years she has the life skills to know whats what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I have no idea why they would.
    A guess:
    Is that they lack the emotional maturity to date more mature women.

Those guys are usually really childlike and 16 is about where they are at personality-wise anyways.

They normally consider 24 year olds stuck up because they can't "score" them.
    Generally its because they act like fools and the 24 year old girl doesn't want to date a guy who acts and speaks like he is 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The-Rigger wrote: »
    That must be pretty annoying.

Glad someone else pointed it out. I'm the 'baby' in my family, ie: the youngest of the generation. All the cousins are significantly older than me and they treat me like I'm still 7. It is very frustrating to be treated as a child when you are in your 20s.

angelxx wrote: »
    I think men who take advantage and prey on underage girls should honestly be in jail.

Thats the law and no-one here has disputed it.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Glad someone else pointed it out. I'm the 'baby' in my family, ie: the youngest of the generation. All the cousins are significantly older than me and they treat me like I'm still 7. It is very frustrating to be treated as a child when you are in your 20s.

Hiya Galvasean
    As a divorced Dad my kids grew up and I am accutely aware that my son at 20 is a man and should be treated accordingly. I agree with - you accept it only if they give you money:D

A 17 year old girl/woman etc is in a similar position -whats your take on it as to their individual responsibility.I don't think you can treat women as children in this context ,no matter how it seems.

Whats your takle on this thorny issue.

CDfm wrote: »
    Hiya Galvasean
    As a divorced Dad my kids grew up and I am accutely aware that my son at 20 is a man and should be treated accordingly. I agree with - you accept it only if they give you money:D

A 17 year old girl/woman etc is in a similar position -whats your take on it as to their individual responsibility.I don't think you can treat women as children in this context ,no matter how it seems.

Whats your takle on this thorny issue.

I agree that there is,by and large, a vast difference btween a 17 year old and a 20 something.
    I think I've posted in this thread ages ago, but I'll reiterate for convenience's sake. I'm 24 myself. It would be very weird for me or someone my age going around looking for 16-17 year olds. It seems like quite predatory behaviour in my eyes. Generally speaking, for me anyone whose age ends with 'teen' is off limits.
    I generally end up going for/with women a couple of years older than me, although thats just personal choice. I find most women my age tend to either act like immature teens or have had a relationship or two and have been scarred with 'emotional baggage' which they havent fully recovered from yet.
    (last paragraph was somewhat off topic, but I thought I'd include it for clarification purposes)

Thanks Galvasean - I always find your take on these things fairly straight up and level headed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Thanks Galvasean - I always find your take on these things fairly straight up and level headed. :)

science mods :cool:

I agree that there is,by and large, a vast difference btween a 17 year old and a 20 something.
    I think I've posted in this thread ages ago, but I'll reiterate for convenience's sake. I'm 24 myself. It would be very weird for me or someone my age going around looking for 16-17 year olds. It seems like quite predatory behaviour in my eyes.

+1
    Generally speaking, for me anyone whose age ends with 'teen' is off limits.

And I agree here. I agree with the law.

My son has a friend 20 & who is fairly shy and if there was a party in my house and he was there. You have an appearance by Little Miss Sunshine (you know who) .

He is not a predator and he is not in charge.

Now I am not saying that its a booty call and they chat away quite happily-what I am saying is that she has the power.
    I generally end up going for/with women a couple of years older than me, although thats just personal choice. I find most women my age tend to either act like immature teens or have had a relationship or two and have been scarred with 'emotional baggage' which they havent fully recovered from yet.
    (last paragraph was somewhat off topic, but I thought I'd include it for clarification purposes)

Is that typical of girls your age.

A relationship is a two way street and like it or not a woman brings a lot of sexual power with her. That brings some level of responsibility to the woman for her behavior with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jibblybitsy

yeah in fairness confident lads will be the do-gooders in this thread. while lads who dont have confidence could be swayed to go for a younger girl. lots of grey areas too as some people look/act older and younger than they are.

thread over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I think I've posted in this thread ages ago, but I'll reiterate for convenience's sake. I'm 24 myself. It would be very weird for me or someone my age going around looking for 16-17 year olds. It seems like quite predatory behaviour in my eyes. Generally speaking, for me anyone whose age ends with 'teen' is off limits.

Same age, same way of thinking to be honest. Though I know of others who'd happily chase girls in those age brackets (17-19). It isn't my cup of tea.
    yeah in fairness confident lads will be the do-gooders in this thread. while lads who dont have confidence could be swayed to go for a younger girl. lots of grey areas too as some people look/act older and younger than they are.

That's a fairly broad generalisation. I'm most certainly not the best looking guy in the world and my confidence probably couldn't be much lower. I still have my take on it, as per the above.

I think you are missing out on where girls take the initiative.

They may think the act is the way to go in a femme fatale way.

A bit off topic, my son had a house party in my house and a former classmate who is gay asked could he bring his friend from accross the city. No problem there and it was their first social event & I was fairly delighted they thought highly enough of me.

Now I do not know what my reaction would have been to a much older woman or guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jibblybitsy

ah ya if you are full of confidence rejection means nothing.

if she is thinking in a femme fatale way fair enough wont bother me. i always wonder where is the disapproval of 'cougher's' is gone. im just up for fun but no doubt women have the choice at the end of the day, whichever way you want to twist that for your own gain.

i was in no way generalising maybe you are the one generalising as you dont believe teenagers can be mature

CDfm, my mouse is broken and I'm too lazy to quote bits and pieces so I'll just reply in general.

I understand that if a grown man is hanging out around with teenage girls, it's creepy. It's like the 20 year old woman that dresses to show off some clevage for boys about 13/14 because she likes the attention.

About when I said not caring about her age, I meant it in a way of after an hour or two of talking, he finds her age but he'll still have fun with her. I don't think it would be right to persure a relationship. I just meant that the fella that is happy to hang around with the girl still even though the age is too much.

It's a bit hard to explain but imagine having 3 hours parties, one once per month and the first time he meets a 16 year old and he finds out her age but on the other two parties they still talk to one another like friends, then I have no problem with it.

But as for not caring about the age gap and still going for a relationship, I think that's wrong. Kids are kids, they should be allowed to grow up themselves, not be trust into an adult world without getting to be a kid first.

While I admit most guys, even teenage guys want sexy I think the maturity level is far different and it's easier for a younger girl to see what a younger guy is after. Whereas with older guys they can "charm" the girl easily.

As for stepping in, I do see your point. But imagine if she was 14 and some guy about 20/21 was interrested in her. Surely then you'd step in, right?
    I understand at the age of 17 she's more of a woman than a child and you have to let her have her own life but I mean it's not any different a freind that's an alcoholic. If she is making horrible decisions and is needing help but not wanting it, you would have to help.

Chaotic Forces - I am a bit of an insomniac.

I hope you are not going to take this the wrong way but I found you post a bit patronising. I posted here not in the hypothetical but in the real life situation as a Dad of a teenage daughter.Not in the hypothetical but reality.

In the real life of my 17 y/o had decided at 14/15 that she was going to date a 20 year old she would have done so in a clandestine way.

She went to a supervised New Years party at that age (which wasn't actually supervised) and got mad drunk and I collected her after a friend of hers , a young lad, phoned me at her request.She had an older friend Liz blah blah... So yes I am aware of the dangers and we sucessfully navigated that period of life without becoming a grandpa.

So your point here is what -that I am not aware of the dangers -well thank you very much for your concern. Teenage girls can lie :eek:

You cannot control every area of their lives but you muddle through trying to provide some type of a value system that you hope will equip your daughter (or son for that matter) with skills.

My daughter and I are close now -but being divorced - well go figure.

So when I see Galvasean posting about stuff well I am going -kick back CDfm you went to boarding school yourself so were out of circulation at that age -you just may learn something.

The point has been well made that there are predators out there, its been made that girls who appear mature may not really be, and that guys who may find themselves socialising with teens should possibly be growing up themselves and moving on to more grown up company.

I have made the point about individual responsibility not only for girls/women bit also for the guys. Is there anything in my daughters life on this front that needs intervention - no.

However, as Galvasean says -there are a lot of young twenty something women out there who have "emotional baggage & are scarred" from their teen experiences. Counsellors might syereotype them as "willing victims" but that assigns blame.

So the part of the discussion that interests me is the 17 to 20 part as .that is the stage of life my daughter is in.

It also strikes me that if a young woman finds herself in a ****ed up relationship without the skills or maturity to deal with it and that gives rise to issues -then -its worth pointing such things out.

Is that typical of girls your age.

It could just be the ones I end up with. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

As I always say, its up to the girl more (no matter what age) to look after herself. Theres nothing wrong with older guys and teen girls, and imho theres no taking advantage unless there are mind altering drugs involved (not alcohol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    As I always say, its up to the girl more (no matter what age) to look after herself. Theres nothing wrong with older guys and teen girls, and imho theres no taking advantage unless there are mind altering drugs involved (not alcohol).

not alcohol? :confused:

CDfm, my point wasn't about the dangers for teenage girls. My point was that regardless of what age they are, you still need to step in eventually if it's needed.

It's not about them telling lies or whatnot. I just don't see a difference from you as a father, to her friend stepping in if it's needed. Someone who's an alcoholic needs help, even if they don't think need it. Someone who's being taken advantage of it, even if they don't think they need it.
    I'm not saying that teenage girls need to be watched 24/7 and basically be babied non-stopped. At the end of the day they're still humans, if an older guy is taking advantage of her it's wrong. Just like it's wrong if she's taking advantage of an older guy by having him buy her things. His friends should say something eventually, just like her friends should say something.

Chaotic-Forces -in an ideal world well maybe so. Girls have been conning their dads for millenia. What should happen and what does are two different things. Its human nature -I cant change it and I am not Daddy Taleban.

It can't always be someone elses fault. A young adult should be able to acquire street smarts otherwise what is your role as a parent.

Years back my ex's sister left her passed out friend passed out somewhere and no one was ever sure whether she was raped or had sex or what. Now common sense tells me if the ex's sister and her friends did that then my daughter at the same age faced with the same situations may use the same judgement or lack of judgement. So the rule is call no matter where you are or condition you are in. No questions asked but a few smart comments in the morning. You have to be pragmatic and practical.

You use the example of an alcoholic and maybe thats true but even they need to want the help and cooperate otherwise -no sale. Otherwards in the words of the prophet "Da -you're killin da buzz"
    It could just be the ones I end up with. ;)

Friends of Wibbs :D

tbh wrote: »
    not alcohol? :confused:

My thoughts too and candy gal -I agree with you except for the alcohol bit

druids-taste-lge.jpg

It may be up to the girl but things that can seem fine when you're young and fearless can leave you in trouble later on. You think, yeah nothing bad will ever happen to me.They're young enough not to be able to anticipate it, not having seen it in themselves or peers.
    You have to let them grow up but not leave them to fend for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

This debate is already fair extensive- but I'll stick my oar in anyway, since I'm that sort of guy. ( a twat, in other words)

Basically, I think it's illogical that the idea of a "gap" in ages between two partners being a bad thing has absolutely no merit whatsoever- it really only matters to the two in the relationship (or one night stand, whatever the case). Outside of that, it's kinda ridiculous for anyone else to decide who is "too old" for whom. ("you're old enough to have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Just not that one, as they have been around longer than you have")

On the other hand, having "relations" with anyone under the age of 17 is illegal as hell, which is a point that is extremely worthy of note.

Just to put things in perspectives. For the lads here- when you were about 16, did you ever score with anyone older than you? Were you exploited?
    Well then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Good Captain - its probably not as obvious but I reckon its around the same. Its one of lifes things. Thats not a criticism of women by the way -its just that some stuff is publicised and other things are not.

The most important thing here is that boys cannot get pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

yeah i met an older bird over in france after an ireland game. i was only 16 at the time and she was 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

yeah i met an older bird over in france after an ireland game. i was only 16 at the time and she was 23.

Yes but what happened? Do you feel she "took advantage"? Was there an emotional connection or were you just focused on the physical elements?

Girls who are 15/16/17 do not enjoy sex (yes guys I know you don`t want to believe this to be true but it is). Their behaviour is fuelled by some other need - attention, love, self esteem - which inevitably in this situation is not met. They also do not have the ability to comprehend the need that the guy is trying to fulfill.

The girls who are exibiting this self destructive behaviour need help. They need to learn that they are worthy of respect.

• Advertisement

theg81der wrote: »
    Yes but what happened? Do you feel she "took advantage"? Was there an emotional connection or were you just focused on the physical elements?

Girls who are 15/16/17 do not enjoy sex (yes guys I know you don`t want to believe this to be true but it is). Their behaviour is fuelled by some other need - attention, love, self esteem - which inevitably in this situation is not met. They also do not have the ability to comprehend the need that the guy is trying to fulfill.

The girls who are exibiting this self destructive behaviour need help. They need to learn that they are worthy of respect.

I agree with you here and would include boys there too probably.

The other thing I want to point out is that not all guys with younger girls are sex crazed lunatics trying to take their virginity. Girls and guys develop at different paces and discover the opposite sex differently.

Maybe even some of these guys will loose their virginity to the teen. I know some who have. I know one guy who lost his virginity in college at the time of his graduation to an 18 year old and she was competing with the football.A very nice guy who didnt really know what was going on and they continued for years till they married.

That is not excusing teen behavior or guy behaviour but I think the stereotypes are a bit cliched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Even in that situation the needs being met do differ. I am by no means saying that these girls are virgins, not sure where you read that, but even when they are being proactive and give an impression that they are empowered its not authentic. Its a patern of behaviour used to attempt to meet a need.

And no all guys are not the same but to a greater degree they have a sexual drive at a younger age.

theg81der wrote: »
    Even in that situation the needs being met do differ. I am by no means saying that these girls are virgins, not sure where you read that, but even when they are being proactive and give an impression that they are empowered its not authentic. Its a patern of behaviour used to attempt to meet a need.

And no all guys are not the same but to a greater degree they have a sexual drive at a younger age.

I am not an expert but I think it is a bit of a two way street and of course I am a lot more comfortable with my daughter dating guys her own age.

What I am saying is what I see with my own eyes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

Strange, at that age as a teenage girl you do get a lot of crushes on slightly older guys, often because they are more further on with their lives than you and have things like cars and wages, yet me and my friends couldn't get any attention from them! We certainly felt like they wouldn't consider us because they thought us too young, and looking back that was totally right and to do anything else would have been taking advantage of our naiveity. But then most of the guys I know of 24 or so have left home and wouldn't be at parties with 16 year olds - they'd probably think it was like going to a kid's party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Where I live, the girls always seemed to go for older guys (the nicer girls anyway). So you had a situation that when I was 15, the girls my age would be with 17/18 year old fellas mainly because of things like having a car etc, so basically we never stood a chance. This then started a cycle where the girls our own age became unavailable so we had to look to girls a year or two younger than ourselves! I'm not saying this is right, but thats just the way it was! Things are still the same to a certain extent but being in college should level it out

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Look - the way i see it is this - I'm 30 and have been back to lots of house parties in my time. If there was a girl same age as me that was so drunk that she set her hair on fire, that kissed 3 blokes and the went off and slept with another - it would be wrong. And that's at 30.

I would try to move guys away from her (even if I didn't know her) - she obviously doesn't know whats she's doing. Where are her friends to say "you're hammered" and look out for her? I know if I did that the next day I would be dying inside and would be thinking why didn't anyone stop me?

It's about respect and obviously the OP's mates don't have any. Regardless of age that child was passed around that party like a piece of meat - get your kicks and screw it she looks older - acts older - it can't be wrong. I've had my fun screw it.... but she's still only 16.

There is a lot of emotional and mental development left before she gets to that stage herself. Does nobody care anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

why? I mean she a consenting adult If you were 34 and she was 29 would you feel the same way?

no shes not, she is a young Adult and still a child in the eyes of the law. When she is 18 and legal to vote, I think then you can say she is a consenting adult, not now as she is still a child!! Her body is still growing. Sure we were told some girls only start periods at 16!! I know most are younger. But if your own body is not ready, then why would your mind.

Also theres plently of time to have legal sex, people at 16 should enjoy that age. Because when they are 30 they could be still single, partying and having sex!! So I dont see the rush into it anyway because you can never be 16, and young again.

Nision wrote: »
    The Dutch system is the best i believe, (austria, germany and many others have similar)
    Age of consent 16, "Sexual acts between persons who have reached the age of 12 years, however, are widely tolerated by the courts and the Dutch Public Prosecution Service if the difference in age between the two partners isn't too great. The latter is determined at the discretion of the court, though usually three years is deemed acceptable."

Ireland actually has the highest age of consent in Europe apart from Gibraltar and Malta.
    The Vatican City ironically enough dosnt specify one.

Ie, of course people have sex at younger than 17.
    Whos still a virgin at 17 ffs?
    The point is wheter or not someone is being taken advantage of.
    So 16 and 19 is ok, but 16 and 24 is not.
    The courts do have discretion and it dosnt criminalise what teens are going to do anyway.

Whos still a virgin at 17?? Actually lots of people are and into their 20s too. I was nearly 22 and nearly everyone I knew was still a virgin, even guys.

Mr.S wrote: »
    If its consensual, then I don't really see a problem with it tbh.

Technically its "rape" but its not rape if the girl fully sets out to sleep with an older guy is it?

Sure its a bit weird when you hear about a 20 something sleeping with a 16/17 year old but its hardly shocking, if shes up for it and fully knows what shes getting into, then I really don't see a problem.

Of course its not ok if the girls pissed out of her mind and doesn't know where she is!

If it was the other way around though, a 24+ year old women getting with a 16 year old guy, then no one would be saying anything :rolleyes: If anything, the guy would be congratulated.

:rolleyes:

There is a huge difference between a 12 year old, and a 16 year old. And you know it.

No actually women get a worse reputation for this. I think I was about 23 when I snogged an 18 or 19 year old guy and the about of slack I got for that for weeks. Even more recently I think I snogged a very old looking 21 year old and im 29...again there were quite alot of jokes from everyone about it.

It also works for guys...my 24 year old housemate snogged I think a 38 year old woman and he got some slagging about being with an auld one. People also said he was so desperate he couldnt get someone he's own age.

So I dont think its a gender thing when it comes to age gaps.

I do agree 16 year olds are young. My brother went out with a 14 year old when he was 16 and so they were together for 4 years. By the time she was 18 she was fed up living the life of a married 35 year old and actually wanted to be single and catch up on the life she missed when she was 14 - 18. She just wanted to hang out with friends etc. I think people try to grow up too fast...but realise that acting like a 35 year old is actually quite boring and acting your age is far more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Wehn i was 16 I would have done anything to get with a 24 year old, thankfully though nothing ever happened, most guys knew it would be wrong. I think most girls like the older man and maybe its hard being a guy and having to turn down a girl I dont know, but in my opinion they should turn them down. If nothing else they might be physically ready but mentally and emotionally ready they are not!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement