Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moaning and Sad Stories: The Drugs of choice for the Irish?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine from the UK decided to pay a visit to these shores a while back, and as I was driving him from the airport I switched on the radio, which was playing Joe Duffy at the time. He found it hilarious, saying that the ridiculous sad stories and moan-ology being peddled would not have had much of an audience in the UK, and was shocked when I informed him that it was actually one of the most popular shows on Irish radio.

I had never really thought of this too much until then, but do we as a country have an unhealthy fixation on such whinging and negativity to a larger extent than people of other countries?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I had never really thought of this too much until then, but do we as a country have an unhealthy fixation on such whinging and negativity to a larger extent than people of other countries?

Why do the likes of your 'mate' and others in the UK have such an unhealthy fixation on us???

You don't see us with a Jeremy Kyle style show over here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I dread to think what he would have thought of "Funny Friday".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

A mate of mine from the UK decided to pay a visit to these shores a while back, and as I was driving him from the airport I switched on the radio, which was playing Joe Duffy at the time. He found it hilarious, saying that the ridiculous sad stories and moan-ology being peddled would not have had much of an audience in the UK, and was shocked when I informed him that it was actually one of the most popular shows on Irish radio.

Have you not been reading AH lately? Does this actually surprise you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

kfallon wrote: »
    Why do the likes of your 'mate' and others in the UK have such an unhealthy fixation on us???

True, they do have that aweful show I suppose.

And it's no fixation on his part as such - he was in the car and was surprised that the Joe Duffy show was a popular as it is, it was an off-hand comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Actually, you do have the Jeremy Kyle show over here. :confused:

Yep, the UK has such a fixation on ireland, there are no irish channels shown over the water but you bought the rights to all theirs...go figure. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

ridiculous sad stories and moan-ology being peddled would not have had much of an audience in the UK,

Really? I thought they were known as the 'Whinging Poms' in the Antipodes for a good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Strange Loop

The British have their Herren Moralen whilst we Irish are still mired in our Sklaven Moralen (slave morality) which tends towards pessimisim and scepticism, a la Nietzsche.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can we get a moaning forum for moaning and moaning about moaning?
    The British have their Herren Moralen whilst we Irish are still mired in our Sklaven Moralen (slave morality) which tends towards pessimisim and scepticism, a la Nietzsche.

Bietzsche Nietzsche, as he was called in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The Jeremy Kyle show is bloody hilarious.

Happen across it sometimes.
    The other day the name of the show was ''I'll take a lie detector test to prove that I only spelt with one other person while you were pregnant.''

And then last week the show was about a woman who was looking for help for her teenage son who was out of control (the kid was like 13 or 14). Then as the end of the show nears and she has poured her heart out about how she is having trouble with the kid....they go and talk to the kid about everything and he says he will try his best to be good if the mother calms down on her drinking!!
    English chavs are bloody great.

Also, I really need to find a job...

Yep, the UK has such a fixation on ireland, there are no irish channels shown over the water but you bought the rights to all theirs...go figure. :P

Yip we show the UK Channels and they took our Country for 800 years, fair swap wasn't it!

We don't make the Jeremy Kyle show, that's the point I'm making. UK guy comes over and laughs at the rubbish on Joe Duffy but what about the people on Jeremy Kyle....most of them have the brains of a retarded budgie! Yet viewing figures for it are probably thru the roof each morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Reaction..

Yip we show the UK Channels and they took our Country for 800 years, fair swap wasn't it!

We don't make the Jeremy Kyle show, that's the point I'm making. UK guy comes over and laughs at the rubbish on Joe Duffy but what about the people on Jeremy Kyle....most of them have the brains of a retarded budgie! Yet viewing figures for it are probably thru the roof each morning!

But could the rubbish on Jeremy Jyle really be compared to rubbish on Joe Duffy? As far as I can tell, the pull for Jeremy Kyle is the whole shouting at dysfunctional yobs stuff - Joe Duffy doesn't really do that...

But could the rubbish on Jeremy Jyle really be compared to rubbish on Joe Duffy? As far as I can tell, the pull for Jeremy Kyle is the whole shouting at dysfunctional yobs stuff - Joe Duffy doesn't really do that...

We don't do it cos we've got more class.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Another reason to hate the recession: floods of plaintive, national self-analysis.

Thank God there was no Internet during the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Shut up whingebags. Getting on me wick yiz all are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Joe Duffy = old ladies giving out about the queues in the post office.

Jeremy Kyle = chavtastic cream crackers possibly beating an old lady to death in the queue of the post office having just ridden some bird, who is now looking for a DNA test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No-one whinges in the UK, they go to Australia to do that i.e. whinging poms.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy = old ladies giving out about the queues in the post office.

Jeremy Kyle = chavtastic cream crackers possibly beating an old lady to death in the queue of the post office having just ridden some bird, who is now looking for a DNA test.

Jeremy Kyle participants cannot have anymore than 5 teeth, must not have washed in over 3 weeks and must have the obligatory 'Love Hate' tatts on their knuckles!

I think it's safe to say that the reason Jeremy Kyle is on during the day when most people are at work or in education is precisely because what is left at home is the minority demographic they are aiming at. If JK had a prime time slot and huge viewing figures, you'd have a point.

I think it's safe to say that the reason Jeremy Kyle is on during the day when most people are at work or in education is precisely because what is left at home is the minority demographic they are aiming at. If JK had a prime time slot and huge viewing figures, you'd have a point.

College students?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

The UK population is approx 10 times more than ours, too large and diverse an audience to address the issues that Joe Duffy does on national radio.

They also have way more regional radio stations, they probably have similar shows to Joe Duffy that the local audience can relate to.

College students?

I don't think that's their target audience no, any more than sick people or women on maternity leave - but it has now become hilarious viewing for anyone else who happens to also be at home during the day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

where the hell did you get that notion from :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Jeremy Kyle participants cannot have anymore than 5 teeth, must not have washed in over 3 weeks and must have the obligatory 'Love Hate' tatts on their knuckles!

Don't forget nails bitten down to stubs, a few chunky gold chains, maybe something classy like a diamante encrusted ring from argos that spells 'Mum' or 'Dad'.
    And of course it wouldn't be Jeremy Kyle without the universal scumbag uniform of white reebok classic, white socks, tracksuit bottoms tucked into the socks, some form of a soccer jersey & a baseball cap tipped at a 45 degree angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Don't forget nails bitten down to stubs, a few chunky gold chains, maybe something classy like a diamante encrusted ring from argos that spells 'Mum' or 'Dad'.
    And of course it wouldn't be Jeremy Kyle without the universal scumbag uniform of white reebok classic, white socks, tracksuit bottoms tucked into the socks, some form of a soccer jersey & a baseball cap tipped at a 45 degree angle.

and that's just the women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

hilarious viewing

You're a disgrace, Madam. Get off my stage.

And as the rest of you, LOOK AT ME, MAN TO MAN. When are you going to GROW UP and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for your lives?

/pauses for cheap applause

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

What I love the most about Jeremy Kyle is when someone from the audience pipes up with an opinion like 'I think what you done is 'orrible, shágging your wife's sister' and then they all cheer wildly like the person's just made some fascinating, well thought out point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    The Jeremy Kyle show is bloody hilarious.

Happen across it sometimes.
    The other day the name of the show was ''I'll take a lie detector test to prove that I only spelt with one other person while you were pregnant.''

Also, I really need to find a job...

The Irony...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

i can't believe i'm going to say this but the joe duffy show can actually be quite useful for showing up genuine wrongdoing that otherwise would have went unnoticed. it can really show up bad practice by the likes companies but obviously many callers ring in with pathetic "grievances" and ruin what is otherwise a decent concept

Advertisement