Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research masters with little knowledge of subject area

Options
  • 03-08-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I'm interested in doing a research masters in an area slightly removed from my undergraduate degree. I done my BSc in Bioanalysis but have always had an interest in ecological and evolutionary biology. Seeing that I have little knowledge in these areas is it feasible to embark on such research and how much, if any, help would be given to me regarding the subject area throughout my research. I have been accepted to a taught masters in evolutionary biology, would it be a better option for me to complete the taught masters before the research masters?? Any advice would be really appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There was a woman in my taught masters who was an engineer and the masters was an arts programme, so that was a big change. She wasn't really given any help to make the transition any easier, if anything I imagine you would get less help with a research masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

TaOcrasOrm wrote: »
    Hi, I'm interested in doing a research masters in an area slightly removed from my undergraduate degree. I done my BSc in Bioanalysis but have always had an interest in ecological and evolutionary biology. Seeing that I have little knowledge in these areas is it feasible to embark on such research and how much, if any, help would be given to me regarding the subject area throughout my research. I have been accepted to a taught masters in evolutionary biology, would it be a better option for me to complete the taught masters before the research masters?? Any advice would be really appreciated

In my experience of doing a Research Masters, I had no classes as such just meeting with my supervisor. I managed to gain access to a psych case conference in St Vincent's Hosp, it's part of certain clinical training; however, I only gained access to it as it was relavent to my topic. In most cases there was no access to any of the taught modules. Also in order to be accepted a 2.1 in that area was required.

I don't know if it would be different in your area. My understanding is that Research Masters are for student who have a solid understanding of their area AT undergraduate level.

Advertisement