Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Bruen Adaptation on TV3 last night

Options
  • 03-08-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I thought it was just ok, a big fan of the books, good to see Galway involved in a TV drama.

Funny as the guard pulled up beside Jack Taylor in Eyre Sq, the car must have been on the grass in the square.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

It was WAY too short. Ads aside it was 1hr 20/25mins. So the second half just seems to move too quickly. Should've had another 15/20 minutes.
    Also keep in mind The Guards is the poorest of the series IMO. I can't wait for Priests, Cross and The Dramatist. They're all class.

Also read that Dominic West was signed up for this before Iain Glen but because of Centurion he had to drop out just as it was about to shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chris.b

really enjoyed it. Geographically inconsistant if you know the town, one minute driving towards Moons and the next driving away from it, and running down the canals to spot the bag in the river.....but to name a couple. Felt that the city is really a great setting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I loved the speed at which he walked from The G Hotel to The Claddagh lol. I dont think it did Galway tourism many favours tho. People getting murdered everywhere, corrupt cops, dodgy factories etc. The G wasnt exactly complimented by it either. I know its fiction but some people believe these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I loved the speed at which he walked from The G Hotel to The Claddagh lol. I dont think it did Galway tourism many favours tho. People getting murdered everywhere, corrupt cops, dodgy factories etc. The G wasnt exactly complimented by it either. I know its fiction but some people believe these things.

In fairness, it's drama , not a Bord Failte prosentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Donyboy

It was superb. Lucy - the girl pulled out of the water at Nimmo's Pier was stunning. She did a fabulous job ! Who is she ? She was not named in the credits. Anyone know her ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Donyboy wrote: »
    It was superb. Lucy - the girl pulled out of the water at Nimmo's Pier was stunning. She did a fabulous job ! Who is she ? She was not named in the credits. Anyone know her ?

Friend or relative............ or Lucy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Jack Taylor's accent was poor. He sounded like a wannabe plastic Paddy. Otherwise, it was a reasonably good production.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Anyone got a link to watch it online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think there is a TV3 Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Worst drama I have seen in a while. The main character had an american accent, not a Galway accent in sight and the acting was shockingly bad. Watched 40 minutes of it which was 35 minutes too long. There was a great scene of the body being discovered and then stretchered away 20 seconds later. Nothing like art imitating life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

dec25532 wrote: »
    Worst drama I have seen in a while. The main character had an american accent, not a Galway accent in sight and the acting was shockingly bad. Watched 40 minutes of it which was 35 minutes too long. There was a great scene of the body being discovered and then stretchered away 20 seconds later. Nothing like art imitating life.
    I dident notice any american accents dont forget Ian Glenn is Irish anyway i thought the acting was quite good and i thought it was quite entertaining my openion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dont forget Ian Glenn is Irish anyway

Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Jack Taylor's accent was poor. He sounded like a wannabe plastic Paddy.

Thought the same and i'd always pictured Jack Taylor as older from the books :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No Galway accent to be heard anywhere, unforgivable

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

It was well shot and a fair bit of money and effort was obviously put into it, but the results were fairly poor. It was full of cliches, some woeful acting, and pretty poor story development. As someone said early, it could have done with being longer to build the story better, but the thing is it was hard enough to watch the length it already was.

The inexplicable changes between day and night in the middle of scenes is fairly unforgivable though.

I enjoyed it cos it was fun to see Galway in a televised drama. Jack Taylors monologue about the G hotel was hilarious- " "The G hotel, the last monstrosity built before the bubble burst, but what does the G stand for? Is it for galway, is it for grandiose, or is it for gay?" haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No Galway accent to be heard anywhere, unforgivable

Nora Jane Noone who played Kate and Tara Breathnach who played Anne are both from Galway whilst Padraic Breathneach is a founding member of Macnas and grew up in Connemara. There was also a guest appearance of Galways own Eamon Cunniss (He was the receptionist in the G hotel) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The main actor's accent just grated with me but I assume choosing a non-Irish lead was done to make it an easier sell across the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

The 3 minutes i saw were pure rubbish. The scene with the female garda struggling with a guy was terrible. Surley if she was a guard she would have the training to flatten him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm a bit confused..
    There were THREE Ken Bruen pieces shot around the same time.

Jack Taylor, The Guards and another one
    Two were Jack Taylor related.

'Guards', for TV3 was directed by Graham Cantwell, Emmett Scanlon (the actor not the Galway singer of the same name!) is in this one

I know Páraic, Tara and a few people were in Jack Taylor (THE Guards?), it also screened at the Fleadh.

Are we all talking about the same one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

EDIT: Spoiler Warning - may give away too much apparently! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I would seriously throw up a spoiler warning above that video.

That gives away far to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Done, haven't seen the full show yet myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Donyboy

mikom
    d) none of the above.

Just wondering who she was. Thought all the young actors were pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I can't find this to watch online anywhere. It doesn't seem to be on Tv3 catch up. Does anyone know a link?

Advertisement