Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 Tonne Isuzu truck trade in?

• 03-08-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

my old man has a 2006 Isuzu NPR 6.2 tonne pickup in very good shape, and very low mileage.

However, neither myself nor my brother are licensed to drive it, and would prefer to get a 3500kg class pickup instead.

From ads I have seen the truck is woth between 13-15,000.

In anyones experience, would a dealer ever be interested in a straight swap, or would we be better off trying to sell.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You certainly might be able to swap, but it'll depend on whether or not the dealer's looking for an NPR for stock or not, and they might have a limited selection of their own stock that they'd trade out.

Pick up an autotrader and make a few calls and you'll probably get something that'll keep you and the brother happy, especially if you'll travel for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Would the OP not just get their C1 licence.

It is a piss easy test, probably easier than the car test IMO and at least you can then carry a load in comfort of not being overweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Slidey wrote: »

It is a piss easy test, probably easier than the car test IMO and at least you can then carry a load in comfort of not being overweight

We have been toying with this idea, but (and correct me if I am wrong please) I think the following fees will apply:

2 x lessons ~ €1600 total
    2x Medicals ~ €120
    2x eyesight tests ~ €120
    2x CPC ~€140
    2x Theory Tests ~ €120
    2x Licenses ~ €80.

Total: ~€2200.

It might be worth it, but I am really have the need for it. A 3500kg tipper might be more useful to us in the long run.

Thanks.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    We have been toying with this idea, but (and correct me if I am wrong please) I think the following fees will apply:

2x Medicals ~ €120
    2x eyesight tests ~ €120
    2x CPC ~€140
    2x Theory Tests ~ €120
    2x Licenses ~ €80.

It might be worth it, but I am really have the need for it. A 3500kg tipper might be more useful to us in the long run.

Thanks.
    The medical should cover you for the eyesight report.

There is a bit of expense involved but you will have the licence for life and you never know when you might need to drive something bigger.

If for instance you wanted a 3.5t NPR you would have a legal payload of about half a tonne. People (including Sligo Co Co who have 3or 4 Canters like this) have been getting away with it for years but the RSA are starting to clamp down on it in a big way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You raise some good points there Slidey.

Will give it some more thought.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Slidey wrote: »

You're better off getting a C licence. All the same costs but you have even more options in the long run. I'd say there are more schools that do C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Budget Marketing

Are medicals and the other things really that expensive? I dont think so...

Doubt you would get a medical done in Dublin for €60 anyway

@Del2005, you are right of course about getting the C licence when they are at it. The only advantage to just doing the C1 is that they could use their own wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Budget Marketing

If you do get rid of it just bear in mind you'll never have one again in all likelyhood and they are good machines. Just make sure you definitely can do with going for the smaller sized rig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Pkiernan wrote: »

2x Medicals ~ €120
    2x eyesight tests ~ €120
    2x CPC ~€140
    2x Theory Tests ~ €120
    2x Licenses ~ €80.

The full medical will cover the eye test, I had this argument nearly 25 years ago getting my first licence.
    Would a man need the CPC to drive his own vehicle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement