Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Staff, Pit etc..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

I see pictures of peoples babies next to their staffs. I think this is very dangerous

:confused::confused: Sorry but i dont agree with that statement. Staffies are actually known as the nanny breed and are great with children so you cant generalise with a statement like that. Any dog has the potential to do harm to a child, a staffie in a pic beside a child is no different than having a pic taken with a child beside a collie or a labrador...

Its statements like that that give these fab dogs a bad reputation if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks for all the replies.

I got the answers i expected and i doubt i would of started off again with a staff.They really are a needy dog and arent as cruel as the media and old wifes tails make out.

Ive one morething. Its hard to imagine a dog (Even a well trained) not barking or going for person in its lifetime even if provoked, if a little terrier attacks a child it most likely not kill a child but pits and staffs are so strong and could potentionally. I see pictures of peoples babies next to their staffs. I think this is very dangerous

I think you've missed the whole point :rolleyes: If you are unable to train and control a dog properly (any dog, any breed!!!!) you have no business owning a dog (any dog, any breed!!!) 'Little Terriers' as you call them have pretty sharp teeth, the combination of an incompitant owner and a quick lunge at the artery in the neck and you have a dead child in no time at all. Again I would not recommend any terrier breed other than a Staff to you, Staffies have a natural affection towards children that no other breed comes close to. An awful lot of 'little terrier' breeds have quite the opposite attitude to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

T
    Ive one morething. Its hard to imagine a dog (Even a well trained) not barking or going for person in its lifetime even if provoked, if a little terrier attacks a child it most likely not kill a child but pits and staffs are so strong and could potentionally. I see pictures of peoples babies next to their staffs. I think this is very dangerous

100% correct, killer's - every last one of 'em.. In fact I changed Richo's name to 'Larry and Ruby's to Murphy' by deed poll today.

Worst thing I ever done was get a bull breed, I live in perpetual terror now.
    Yes, I've given up justifying my dogs to these comments now.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

If a human can kill a child then a animal (staffs included ) can.
    Im looking for an insight not criticism because people have the need to defend their dogs.

I see i wont get any help with a query so im not gonna bother lame internet bullies anymore.

In regards to this q. being done repeatedly, its a public forum not a private conversation if you dont like the question asked dont bother clicking.

How can you pretend to be good owners when you automaticaly shoot down a human. Sad

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Johnny infracted.Consider this a warning.Next time Ill ban you for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

If the owners of both the dog and the child have done right by them and trained each of them in the correct way to behave with each other and others, then the worst that's ever going to happen to that child is that they get a severe face licking or are stared at eagerly by the dog while they watch tv, until they get up and take it for a walk or play fetch with it.

Personally, I think the pictures that people have posted of their dogs and kids are fantastically adorable. They show how well the dogs have been integrated into the family unit and how the kids regard them with affection and respect. Keep them coming, I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

if a little terrier attacks

You have obviously never seen a little Terrier at work. :D

As for the rest:

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2008/01/fatality-victim-justin-mozer-killed-by.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

EGAR wrote: »
    You have obviously never seen a little Terrier at work. :D

As for the rest:

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2008/01/fatality-victim-justin-mozer-killed-by.html

You just can't win though can you, reading that link. A JRT kills a child, but they have to mention the fact that a pitbull also lives at the same house. It had nothing to do with the attack, but it has to be mentioned, and then some of the people commenting on the story drag it back to bull breed attacks again even though it wasn't the pit that did anything.:confused::rolleyes:

I would never leave a dog unattended with a child, any dog. Huskies were bred to work during the day and sleep with the children at night to keep them warm, but I still wouldn't ever let any of my dogs sleep with a child. Yes, my 15 year old son has a dog sleeping in his room at night, and has had for a couple of years, but he is not a small child. Obviously if someone is taking the photos that have been put up on here, then there is an adult in the room, unless all of you have amazing remote controlled cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Lol, usually if a different breed attacks then it's a freak accident.

Of course the Pit Bull whispered into the JRT ear: kill kill kill....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

The first comment on that article makes me laugh or cry i dont know. They say straight away to check the bite marks as they are sure it was the pit bull. How can you change peoples minds when you have a report saying it was JRT and they will not believe a bull had no involvemt.
    Id hate to see that person on a jury as id say they dont really listen to facts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement