Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houston, Texas

Options
  • 03-08-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been here, may be heading that way soon. Is it really as we see on TV, fat people in SUVs and ten gallon hats? is southern hospitality as they say? Hows the weather? Is everything bigger in Texas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Waestrel wrote: »
    Has anyone been here, may be heading that way soon.
    Yup, we've been here a year now.
    Is it really as we see on TV, fat people in SUVs and ten gallon hats?
    Less fat people than you may think - it is a bit of a soco-economic issue really, you don't see too many fat middle-class people. Lots of people run around my area (at 5 in the morning) and I'm part of a Masters swim team at Rice University which also has a lovely shaded running track around its perimeter. Living here will redefine your idea of what a 'big' car is though, we have a standard 1.5L Kia saloon and I often feel like the smallest car on the road - trucks are popular.
    is southern hospitality as they say?
    Yes people are very friendly, hold doors etc. I had my wallet stolen from my car at Christmas (my own fault I shouldn't have left it there), a women found it but there was nothing with my address but she found a prescription and she contacted my doctor who rang me with her name + number. I got all my credit cards, driving licence back just not the $20 cash.

Hows the weather?
    HOT! It does suck for 8 weeks in the middle of summer, you need the car to go everywhere - but that's what A/C is for and if you have a pool, even better. The other 10 months of the year are great, I wore a dress with bare legs 2 days before Christmas last year.
    Is everything bigger in Texas?
    YES. I live in an area kinda like Ranelagh so I can walk to coffee shops, restaurants, bookshops, grocery stores, pharmacy, post office but that is unusual. You will need a car.

What area were you planning on living in? What job area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Texas is great , one of our favourite states. Houston not great though, just a big city. We could find nothing to entice us to stay in the city. A very nice place to stay in that area is http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/. It's along Galveston Bay.

Texas State Fair is on Sept/Oct - well worth it for the experience if you are near that area, bit of a drive from Houston!!. But a great American day out. It is a MASSIVE event.

http://www.bigtex.com/sft/

If you get a chance, find a rodeo for a good night out.

Advertisement