Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to golden retrieve or not to golden retrieve?!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Connavar wrote: »
    however I do not feel that they should be kept in all day except when they need to go to the loo

I dont think they mean have it in all day and bring it to the shops with you in a little designer handbag like you would see on MTV :D

What they mean is the dog lives inside as in sleeps there, eats there and has a bed there - but has full access to the outside area/garden and can come and go as they please. They most likely will spend most of their day outside even though they live inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I dont think they mean have it in all day and bring it to the shops with you in a little designer handbag like you would see on MTV :D

What they mean is the dog lives inside as in sleeps there, eats there and has a bed there - but has full access to the outside area/garden and can come and go as they please. They most likely will spend most of their day outside even though they live inside.
    I was beginning to think that I misunderstood them in this way too when reading back over the posts. It just really annoys me when I see people treating animals like you mention as MTV(I have seen people doing this in real life)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry, but thats not true, as in its healthier for them to be outside. Theres no health rules to say its better for them to be outside plus saying they belong outside is not true either, that may be your opinion but i dont and majority of other dog owners on here will not agree with you either.

A dog belongs in the home with their owner/family etc. Yes some dogs like being outside but to just leave a dog outside all the time is very unfair on any pet so no point in getting a dog if its going to be just outside, cruel in my opinion.

Dogs are social animals so thrive on company and attention so how can they get this if they are stuck in a garden on their own all the time.

I own a rottweiler who lives inside and is very healthy. He doesnt like being outside and really only goes out in the garden to go to the loo etc but if he had a choice he stays inside with me when im at home.

They do not necessarily need a big garden to run around either, as i dont have one, but my dog gets plenty of exercise on his walks so when hes at home hes usually chilling out and sleeping beside me not wanting to run around the garden.
    SukisMam wrote: »
    Connavar and andreac, you really are shocking me with your comments. With all due respect, you haven't a clue. If any dog welfare people were on here they'd be enlightening you on a fair few points. ShellyG knows what she's talking about. Golden retrievers are companion animals and thrive on human contact. If you truly believe otherwise then I genuinely worry for your animals.
    As for the reply re rescue centres, I know what I am talking about when I say they will not place a dog with someone who plans to leave it outside. Clearly they know what they're at so why do you think you know better?

Did you even bother to read andreac's post? I'm sure she'll be on here soon enough to reply to you, but as its her birthday, maybe she's off having a good time instead:D I have met her dog many times and trust me, you do not need to worry for him, he is one of the most spoilt dogs I know, but then if you'd actually read what she'd written, you'd see that yourself.

I totally agree that GRs need to be with their families, I rehome huskies, and have no problem with them living outside, as most of them prefer it, however, I expect their new owners to allow them in the house for social interaction, not just keep them outside all of the time. I don't know what the point is of getting a dog and then just dumping it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SukisMam

There's no point in trying to twist my words, I never said or implied that the dog should be locked up in the house. I said the dog should live as a family member and be included in the household and live inside with the family. The garden is for playing in, not living in.
    I don't think there's any point in us continuing this conversation because clearly you have your views which I completely unreservedly disagree with and object to.

Please tell me your not serious. It is more healthy for the dog to keep it outside. Especially big dogs. And saying that no rescue centre in the country would give a dog to someone who isn't going to allow the dog live inside is plain ridiculous. Its actually the opposite. They need space to run around which they can't get indoors. Now I have no problem with them being allowed inside at times but they belong outside.
    Connavar, you really have the most backward views. You shouldn't be allowed have a dog at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Connavar and andreac, you really are shocking me with your comments. With all due respect, you haven't a clue. If any dog welfare people were on here they'd be enlightening you on a fair few points. ShellyG knows what she's talking about. Golden retrievers are companion animals and thrive on human contact. If you truly believe otherwise then I genuinely worry for your animals.
    As for the reply re rescue centres, I know what I am talking about when I say they will not place a dog with someone who plans to leave it outside. Clearly they know what they're at so why do you think you know better?

HUH????:confused::confused:

Please read my posts again as i think you have mixed them up with someone else. I am the one saying the dog SHOULD be in the house with the owner/family and not left outside on its own. So please read my replies properly before attacking my posts. If you read my posts you would see that my dog DOES live inside with me and is rarely in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Connavar, you really have the most backward views. You shouldn't be allowed have a dog at all.
    I phrased that badly. Please read my later posts and then you will understand what I am trying to say. And you have no right to say that I shouldn't have a dog. My dog was well cared for and given piles of attention. He was allowed inside, just not kept inside(slept in a kennel unless it was stormy or too cold and he ate inside)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

SukisMam, I think you're mixing andreac up with someone else....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Connavar and andreac, you really are shocking me with your comments. With all due respect, you haven't a clue.
    andreac wrote: »
    Sorry, but thats not true, as in its healthier for them to be outside.

I think you misread the first line there ;) Please read it in context with the post she quoted and the rest of her post.

Also, I think the OP has left the building.

Andreac - Happy belated birthday! :)

I'm sorry but I now have a vision in my head of a woman lugging a great big suitcase on wheels around with a golden retrievers head sticking out of the top :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

I'm sorry but I now have a vision in my head of a woman lugging a great big suitcase on wheels around with a golden retrievers head sticking out of the top :D

it would need to be some size of a suitcase :D

my Goldie is currently lying under the kitchen table asleep .... means no space to push chairs in :rolleyes: lazy git - he has been out all morning and is enjoying his comforts inside now .... had enough running and racing for a while :)

sure isnt that what having a dog is all about- they run and race and then sleep at your feet while you relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

This statement is totally ridiculous. Are you really saying he shouldn't he have a dog because he keeps it outside. My two dogs arent allowed inside the house. they're trained not to go inside. they have a pumphouse and an enclosure where we put them to bed at night. during the day they're left out around the garden (about two acres of land) and they are two of the he the healthiest dogs you will ever see. One reason for me having two dogs is because i like for them to always have a companion. And also what gives you the right to tell him he cant have a dog?

Please tell me your not serious. It is more healthy for the dog to keep it outside. Especially big dogs. And saying that no rescue centre in the country would give a dog to someone who isn't going to allow the dog live inside is plain ridiculous. Its actually the opposite. They need space to run around which they can't get indoors. Now I have no problem with them being allowed inside at times but they belong outside.

You haven't a clue. Please stay away from dogs.

You haven't a clue. Please stay away from dogs.

Red card, not yellow!

Locking thread, One year old arguments need to stay in the past :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement