Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicycle parking at city centre DART stations

• 03-08-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have done some thread searching but nothing popped up to answer my question.

I'm seeking the safest place to leave my bike at one of the DART stations (between Connolly and Sandymount) in order to go to Dalkey for the evening (yes yes, I could ride but don't want to wear the legs out for an evening of rock climbing biggrin.gif)

I saw the delapidated bike shed at Grand Canal Dock - limited space, have to haul bike up stairs (that little channel thing doesn't seem to work) and some of the lock points had already been snipped. So seeking alternatives!

Suggestions?

If a lot of negative feedback comes back I'll resort to riding home first as I'm still going through the honeymoon phase as its a new purchase. wink.gif Not ideal, but better than a stolen bike..

Many thanks!
    Paul.

p.s. Have put this thread in 'Commuting & Transport' Forum also. Apologies if you've seen it there and hope the mods don't mind. Trying to capture best audience.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

just cycle it, its only an easy 30mins on flat coastal roads, probably quicker than the dart too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Aside from the on-street options in the city centre, your best bets would probably be:

Tara - Don't bother. I only use the railings outside the station if I'm drinking in Kennedy's where I can keep an eye on my bike.

Pearse - Inside Trinity, behind the Crann Building (the one with the Science Gallery on the ground floor- there's parking behind it, under the DART line).

GCD - you've covered it.

Lansdowne / Sandymount / Sydney Parade - railings on the ramp/path up to the ticket office (though afaik this is not officially permitted).

There are a few good poles near Sydney Parade, but Sydney Parade Avenue is being dug up at the moment and there are construction vehicles everywhere, so I wouldn't fancy your chances.

I'd say Trinity is your best bet, or maybe the Merrion Centre near Sydney Parade- it has good railings in full view of the road. The railings on Sandymount Green (outside 2Wheels) usually have a few bikes too- cafes and restaurants nearby for overlooking, and only 5 minutes from Sandymount Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

Monkeyslayer - depends on my energy levels, I may well do!
    Doctor Bob - appreciate the detailed reply. Many thanks! Indeed Trinity does seem like my best bet; I'll pull out the two good locks for it nonetheless.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Drury Street car park and walk up to dart station. Its a short enough walk

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055704580&highlight=drury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Nah Drury street carpark is miles away from the dart station. I'd recommend Fleet street carpark then walk to Tara street. Its a more convenient location, bike rack is located near enough to the booth so its generally safe, its sheltered and the carpark is open 24hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Drury Street and then take a Dublin Bike to a DB station near a convenient Dart station?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doctor Bob wrote: »

Lansdowne / Sandymount / Sydney Parade - railings on the ramp/path up to the ticket office (though afaik this is not officially permitted).

There are a few good poles near Sydney Parade, but Sydney Parade Avenue is being dug up at the moment and there are construction vehicles everywhere, so I wouldn't fancy your chances.

Do not lock it up near Sydney parade, used to live beside it, as you'll see from the ramp up to the station, a thieves wet dream for wheels or frames. If you go as far as hear, lock it outside the Merrion Inn or the petrol station (basically along Merrion Road). Despite the areas reputation, it is too dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Nah Drury street carpark is miles away from the dart station. I'd recommend Fleet street carpark then walk to Tara street. Its a more convenient location, bike rack is located near enough to the booth so its generally safe, its sheltered and the carpark is open 24hours.

Nice one cOrk3r. Wasn't aware that this carpark had bicycle parking in it. Good to know for other occasions as well. More comfortable leaving it here than at Trinners also. Cheers!

Advertisement