Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grainne/sile seoige worst presenter on irish radio

• 03-08-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Just was listening to the tom dunne show this morning on newstalk.
    One of the seoige sisters was filling in for him. (i think sile)
    Anyway it was one of the worst performances I ever heard, she seemed to get everything wrong, cutting across everyone and seemed to make a fool out of herself the whole time. She asked the most idiotic questions to guests as well. Think she introduced some guy as an 18 year old and then proceeded to ask him his age :pac:
    Anyone else listen. It was strangly entertaining how wooful she was. I don't like the tom dunne show but she made him seem brilliant in comparison.
    Is this her first time presenting???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

adamski8 wrote: »
    . Think she introduced some guy as an 18 year old and then proceeded to ask him his age :pac:

lol! fail...

anyway, no problem with the OP, OP, but just to remind posters of the admin thinking on threads where public figures get critisised:
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    This seems to have been missed.

As I understand it (and I'm not a lawyer), the fact that what you say is true may be a defence in a defamation action. The problem is, if a poster says something nasty about a public figure, and the public figure sues boards.ie for defamation, then it becomes boards.ie's problem to try to create a defence by establishing the truth of the allegation. Part of our role as mods and admins is to try to prevent the website from getting sued, because getting sued isn't fun.

I'll reiterate what Tom Dunne has said: I don't understand the need to be abusive when criticising someone.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055985102

basically, feel free to criticise, but just be careful you don't cross the line to abuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

She's cute though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

That's what you get when you put a person presenting a radio programme who isn't a radio presenter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

That's what you get when you put a person presenting a radio programme who isn't a radio presenter...

Sile Seoige or Tom Dunne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I think Tom Dunne was (nearly as) bad when he started out but has improved much since. His show would be my preference over Today FM and 2FM 9 - 12 shows.

Síle was very bad I think, probably mostly due to nerves, but also due to lack of preparation, subject knowledge and possibly interest!

It reminded me of show's such as TV3's morning show where they have demonstration segments in which the presenter is so worried about time than listening to the demonstator!

It wrecks my head to have to watch these when you can feel the tension between the two!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

tbh wrote: »
    basically, feel free to criticise, but just be careful you don't cross the line to abuse.
    yeah fair enough, I have nothing against her, it was just her once off performance today i was talking about.
    It might not have been all her fault of course, the producing was probably a major cause. She had a few bad lines and one got dropped as well. It was quite car crash.
    Anyway I'd be amazed if newstalk let her present a 3 hour long show without thinking she can't do the job.
    Anyway im gonna tune in and hope she is still filling in tomorrow so i can have more of a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Just to clarify adamski, there was no problem with your post. It's just... These threads can bring out the worst on people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

This really is the silly season. Sile Seoige filling in for Tom Dunne again for a week later on in the month merits a news article these days. Or is this super agent Noel Kelly at work?

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/sile-gets-coverted-holiday-slot-on-radio-2282808.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

You mean this Noel Kelly?

It does kinda deserve a bit of an article! Give her a listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sile Seoige had a nightmare filling in the other day, odd to give her a full week based on that.

However, The thread title is a bit unfair to Grainne Seoige, can't blame her for her sister's performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

yeah fair enough, I have nothing against her, it was just her once off performance today i was talking about.
    It might not have been all her fault of course, the producing was probably a major cause. She had a few bad lines and one got dropped as well. It was quite car crash.
    Anyway I'd be amazed if newstalk let her present a 3 hour long show without thinking she can't do the job.
    Anyway im gonna tune in and hope she is still filling in tomorrow so i can have more of a laugh

Another example of a PD making it up as they go along, why they cant give a chance to someone who already works in radio a at a local or regional level is beyond me. This purely smacks of a PD taking the lazy option of getting a 'celeb' to fill the gap for a week in the hope that her previous media experience and celebrity will carry her through. The same could be said of Kathryn thomas filling in for Tubs, it just isnt working. While I cant blame sile or kathyrn for saying no if offered work, I find it exceptionally annoying that sile, kathyrn etc resort to radio when their chosen format, tv, has turned its back on them. (granted thomas is still on in some form but , no frontiers has been pulled). If the product they both offered on radio was of a high standard then the respective PD's decison to parachute them into a slot may be easier to justify, but when standards suffer as a result of their inclusion, you really gotta feel for the many genuine radio presenters out there around the country screaming for a fair crack at the big time even if it is only for a week.

Yeah I tend to agree. Much like Kathryn Thomas and Lucy Kennedy over in RTE, their TV presenter careers are based largely on their looks. But that all becomes a bit redundant on the radio.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Yeah I tend to agree. Much like Kathryn Thomas and Lucy Kennedy over in RTE, their TV presenter careers are based largely on their looks. But that all becomes a bit redundant on the radio.
    Credit where it's due - Kathryn Thomas is a damn sight better than the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Wow, was that Sile? I remember listening to her on the way into work, thinking "jesus, did they just pull some randomer out of their office cubical to present the Tom Dunne show this morning in there or what?".

She was very nervous and very self critical of herself in places. It was a train wreck, no doubt about it ... but look we're only human at the end of the day. Personally, I couldn't do it !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Just was listening to the tom dunne show this morning on newstalk.
    One of the seoige sisters was filling in for him. (i think sile)
    Anyway it was one of the worst performances I ever heard, she seemed to get everything wrong, cutting across everyone and seemed to make a fool out of herself the whole time. She asked the most idiotic questions to guests as well. Think she introduced some guy as an 18 year old and then proceeded to ask him his age :pac:
    Anyone else listen. It was strangly entertaining how wooful she was. I don't like the tom dunne show but she made him seem brilliant in comparison.
    Is this her first time presenting???

I find it hard to conceive of somebody worse than Tom Dunne. I stopped listening to him on 5 March last when he had some arsehole with an English accent named Julian ranting and raving against the Irish language. All Dunne could say was "I agree" "Yeah" and the like. He didn't even make an attempt at being impartial. It was just a cowardly gang-up on the Irish language. Definitely lost me that day.

Anyway Síle is a babe in any weather.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Sile Seoige filling in for Tom Dunne again for a week later on in the month merits a news article these days.

Is she filing in a moderator too?

For a radio presenter career that spans 3 hours, it sure is getting a lot of media attention.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/station-chiefs-have-sile-on-the-radar-as-beauty-considers-radio-2285266.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

For a radio presenter career that spans 3 hours, it sure is getting a lot of media attention.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/station-chiefs-have-sile-on-the-radar-as-beauty-considers-radio-2285266.html

Slow news week I guess.

The most common sound to be heard on Irish radio these days is that of a barrel being scraped.

messymess wrote: »
    ... but look we're only human at the end of the day. Personally, I couldn't do it !
    True. But you're not getting wads of cash for it. It's the management's fault at NT. They put her in there with little live radio experience. They seem to be in a daze there for some reason?
    The most common sound to be heard on Irish radio these days is that of a barrel being scraped.
    Sad... but true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

It appears to me that we have these two 'lovely' sisters from the wesht of Ireland, who speak fluent Gaeilge to boot, and they seem to be owed media careers as some kind of right of course.

Except that nobody can seem to find the right vehicle for them. Their tv chat show together was a disaster, and individually, they don't seem to last long anywhere. Yet they keep reappearing constantly, on all kinds of programs, that they just don't seem to be able to establish a following on.

As somebody else said, there must be hundreds of personable amateurs out there crying for a bite at the big time, yet we keep pulling back the two ice queens in the hope that one of them will find a slipper that fits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

paddyland wrote: »
    It appears to me that we have these two 'lovely' sisters from the wesht of Ireland, who speak fluent Gaeilge to boot, and they seem to be owed media careers as some kind of right of course.

Except that nobody can seem to find the right vehicle for them. Their tv chat show together was a disaster, and individually, they don't seem to last long anywhere. Yet they keep reappearing constantly, on all kinds of programs, that they just don't seem to be able to establish a following on.

As somebody else said, there must be hundreds of personable amateurs out there crying for a bite at the big time, yet we keep pulling back the two ice queens in the hope that one of them will find a slipper that fits.

but neither of them are ice queens , grainne is an absolute dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

True. But you're not getting wads of cash for it. It's the management's fault at NT. They put her in there with little live radio experience. They seem to be in a daze there for some reason?

they did this before, when sean moncreiff was off for a week, they had a different presenter every day. most of them were shocking. brian dowling and jennifer maguire ffs? it's amazing what'll get you a job on the airwaves these days, but being told you're fired by alan sugar is one way to do it.

and... sile is 32??!! bloody hell, thought she was much younger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Sile Seoige only got a job in media because of her sister. She is the ugly duckling - not rotten but not as nice as Grainne.

Sile and Grainne have a fakeness about them and I'm not talking about their breasts. They wear low-cut top to display themselves, woo men acrosss the country and then are presented as broadcasting beauties.

paddyland wrote: »

Grainne had a good opening at Sky News. She presented the evening bulletins on Sky Ireland and did quite a bit of presentation on the main Sky News channel as well but she gave it up to come back to RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Grainne had a good opening at Sky News. She presented the evening bulletins on Sky Ireland and did quite a bit of presentation on the main Sky News channel as well but she gave it up to come back to RTE.

Wouldn't disagree with a lot of what's being said here but ITV obviously fell for that fake charm as well . Grainne is going to itv brekkie in next couple of weeks. whatever Sile has , I don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Lahm wrote: »
    Sile Seoige only got a job in media because of her sister. She is the ugly duckling - not rotten but not as nice as Grainne.

Sile and Grainne have a fakeness about them and I'm not talking about their breasts. They wear low-cut top to display themselves, woo men acrosss the country and then are presented as broadcasting beauties.

your right , they need to get thee to a nunery pronto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Station chiefs have Sile on the radar as beauty considers radio switch

I hate inaccurate reporting.. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Lahm wrote: »

WTF? What have their breasts got to do with their ability to engage a listener's attention?

For that matter, why is Grainne being dragged into this discussion? If she's a talentless fake, she's doing a damn good job of feigning ability - isn't she off to GMTV now? ITV is hardly in the grip of the gaeilgeoir media mafia, or do you know something we don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ok folks a quick reminder to keep this discussion radio related. I think it was made clear earlier that this post is about Sile as she was the one presenting on Newstalk. This is not the place to discuss GMTV or peoples body parts. Any more off topic and I'll have to close it off.

• Advertisement

This media campaign to get Sile a job is getting beyond ridiculous now. Some eejit actually asked her if she thinks she could be a possible replacement for Claire Byrne (did they not hear her one and only show?).

Newstalks CEO Frank Cronin said last night... "We're taking it one step at a time. Sile is doing Tom Dunne's programme for us next week. After that there will be discussions between Sile and Newstalk to see what the future holds for both sides".

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/sile-reveals-surprise-at-finding-love-new-love-2295595.html

Sile Seoige is not the answer to Newstalks problems Frank. If she gets a permanent gig on the back of this, it will really be the triumph of "celebrity" over any discernible talent at presenting a radio show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It's a worrying trend alright if it does happen. Why are they hell bent on replacing a female with a female? I can't think of one female celebrity that Newstalk could seduce from celeb land. A real news reporter or presenter is required. The public don't want fake they want the real thing from a real radio presenter.

Cathy Creegan comes to mind. Maybe there are others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I think she works well on tv, more personality

This media campaign to get Sile a job is getting beyond ridiculous now. Some eejit actually asked her if she thinks she could be a possible replacement for Claire Byrne (did they not hear her one and only show?).
    Claire Byrne/Sile Seoige... What's the difference (apart from the hair colour) Neither have the ability to do hard hitting news or political interviews.
    bbability wrote: »
    It's a worrying trend alright if it does happen. Why are they hell bent on replacing a female with a female? I can't think of one female celebrity that Newstalk could seduce from celeb land. A real news reporter or presenter is required. The public don't want fake they want the real thing from a real radio presenter.

Cathy Creegan comes to mind. Maybe there are others...
    There are a few that could be good: Cathy Creegan as you said, Fiona Looney, Jenny Huston has been doing a great job in G Ryans slot. She could do well on NT in Tom Dunne's slot... Though she'd hardly leave RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Well one of the sisters was filling in for that Saturday morning OK Magazine type program on Newstalk. The one before Down to Business. She was so much better then the normal presenter any bad points people mentioned here werent noticed by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

bbk wrote: »
    Well one of the sisters was filling in for that Saturday morning OK Magazine type program on Newstalk. The one before Down to Business. She was so much better then the normal presenter any bad points people mentioned here werent noticed by me.

If the "normal presenter" is Orla Barry, then Sile could hardly be any worse. I still get the shivers when I think of the ad she did for Newstalk where she recounted her interview with Colin Firth is his hotel room. I'd say the poor guy still needs counselling.

• Advertisement

If the "normal presenter" is Orla Barry, then Sile could hardly be any worse. I still get the shivers when I think of the ad she did for Newstalk where she recounted her interview with Colin Firth is his hotel room. I'd say the poor guy still needs counselling.

Oh my, what happened? Her show makes me cringe. Its just bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

One man's bad presenter is anothers genius, that's the nature of the
    game. The seoige sisters are very experienced broadcasters at this stage.

Nerves appear to have been in play with the ops observations, who knows what the circumstance were, she may have been thrown in the deep end with little time to do her prep work for the show.

The Muppet wrote: »
    One man's bad presenter is anothers genius, that's the nature of the
    game. The seoige sisters are very experienced broadcasters at this stage.

Nerves appear to be been in play with the ops observations, who knows what the circumstance were, she may have been thrown in the deep end with little time to do her prep work for the show.

Considering what I heard on the Saturday show I was talking about then I imagine that is most definitely the case. She did a grand job on that show. It is once a week so Id say the prep work and in at the deep end effect had parts to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

I had my Sile moment this morning.
    She had a report on Fota island.Myles Dungan mentioned it was the anniversary of the first grey squirrels introduced into Ireland.Myles asked:
    "Guess how many there were?"
    "One" answers our heroine.

Er Sile,surely there'd need to have been at least two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I wouldn't be a particular fan of Síle's but listening to her covering for Tom Dunne these last few days while I'm on me hols . . . I don't think she is doing too bad a job. Nice to hear a little bit of gaeilge too on mainstream day time radio. Didn't hear her on her first day but perhaps it was nerves.

Generally, the Seoige sisters tend to be best watched on TV; with the sound on mute.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    The seoige sisters are very experienced broadcasters at this stage.
    Yes. TV Broadcasters where the majority of what Sile does, anyway, is recorded and scripted to the last dot and can be edited and re done if necessary so she can't go wrong. Radio, especially a live,flowing talk show is totally different. The topics can change quickly. If a big story breaks in the news the topic carries on in the next segment meaning a broad general knowledge is required... Or at least an ability to bullsh1t and wing it if you have to.
    cml387 wrote: »
    She had a report on Fota island.Myles Dungan mentioned it was the anniversary of the first grey squirrels introduced into Ireland.Myles asked:

Oh dear! So was she on Radio 1 and Newstalk at the same time? Jays! No wonder there's so many broadcasters struggling for work. The prospects don't look good if she can land two slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ive nothing against the sisters but im seriously getting pissed off with whomever is supposed to be sourcing talent.

where the hell is it wrote that being pretty on telly means you can do live radio?

especially as the format of radio means being pretty is fecking redundant !

byrnes been bleeding atrocious from day one on the breakfast show, and a disruptive influence to boot going through co hosts at a rate of knots. ive never heard anyone get their co hosts back up so much as her and now she's going i reckon theyre breating a sigh of relief in the production room.

ive liked sile on telly , she did some great stuff on nationwide. any girl that can get hand on shearing a sheep is ok in my book. but that doesnt mean she knows her arse from her elbow on radio and its been painful listening to tom dunne show this week. she's just too eager, jumping in and mouthing off too loudly.

maybe it is nerves and she'll settle down .

but as someone else posted theres no shortage of people on local radio all around the country that could step in straight away with no breaking in period to calm their nerves to give us a professional show.

whoever the hell is responible for talent flow, across all the national stations including RTE , has alot to answer for.

The way things are going i wouldnt be surprised if jedward get a bloody slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i like tom dunne, but i think it is an age think - i am close to his so i get him.
    anyway she is awful, awful. there is a terrible word used in limerick and cork to describe an awful woman and it is in my head whenever she speaks.

So we had Sile on Newstalk last week and she was doing her slot on Radio 1 (Today PK) this morning. What's the story with her? Has she got some juicy dirt on the bosses at NT and RTE? Or is the radio industry in Ireland so bereft of talent that she's in such demand from the National Broadcasters? Sorry, but she just doesn't do it for me. Grainne is good alright but not Sile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Apparently Síle is starting a new show on Newstalk on Saturdays between 12-2pm. She was on with Tom Dunne earlier today talking (briefly in fairness) about it. Conspiracy theorists . . . . let's hear yiz !

garbanzo wrote: »
    Conspiracy theorists . . . . let's hear yiz !

OK, here is my theory - Noel Kelly's client Clare Bynre heads off to RTE. Newstalk take on another client of his, not necessary for her brilliant broadcaster skills, but because being on good terms with Kelly would no doubt be useful to them in the future.

As with all conspiracy theories, this may well be nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

cml387 wrote: »

Maybe the Seoiges breed asexually by splitting in two? In a couple of years, Orla and Una Seoige will appear out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Heard Newstalk this morning talking about their "Star signing" like it was a football player. Sile was absolute rubbish when she filled in there recently but this is the way radio is going now so get used to it...plenty more "star signings" on the way whilest real jocks dont get a look-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i think its a "branding" thing.

i.e if your any old gobshyte but a semi household name theyll give you a show irrespective of whether youve any ability or not because it "highlights the profile" of the station or some other such bollocks.

they did the same thing with claire byrne.

im sure sile is a lovely girl and she very attractive, but looks mean **** all on radio and she's no track record of doing any quality work on radio.

TBH they may as well randomly pick someone up off the street now from what i can see of their broadcaster selection strategy.

it must really frustrate people that can actually DO the job of presenting better on local radio.

its speaks volumes that the programme description is so fecking vague as to be practially useless. it looks like the orla barry "weekend blend" show all over again and i never listened to THAT either.

personally im pissed its replacing the down to business show, usually i'd be turning over to that right now, two chance of me listening to seioge and slim just left town.

Advertisement