Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is in the building this week???

Options
  • 03-08-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this to, but here goes.

Back in the dim, distant past some offices had a board that showed who was in or out of the building that day.

I need a cyber version of this, and I'm sure that there must be something out there like it.

We have around 20 employees, and would like to show a week at a time's worth of info.

I suppose I could set up an Excel Sheet, but think that would be a last resort.

Really it would need to default to 'In', with options for 'Annual Leave', 'Ill', and 'Off-site'.

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated!!!!

Speedy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Keycard or biometric scanner .. these come with a computer software interface for logging in/out and can be gotten from China on the interwebs for buttons these days :)

Ideally you'd place the scanner/lock on the main entrance obviously...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Think hes looking more for something that flags people currently off and planned absences more than just at this moment.

We have our own in house solution for this.

Time attendence system then ;)

Sorry edit ..

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/101407206/Chronos_Time_Attendance_Management_System.html

100 bucks ... cant go wrong think it has everything you need there might be some OS ones out there though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Do you actually need to display this information publicly somewhere (like the lobby) or do you just want people to be able to know whether people are in or out at any given time? If it's the latter, I would think that whatever calendar solution you use would facilitate this e.g. if you're using Microsoft Outlook people can update their calendars with their annual leave and share their calendar out. Pretty sure Google calendar could do this too but perhaps you are looking for something more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how about a small web app
    where they have to check in upon starting work
    then check out when they leave

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you're using Windows Server then you're already licensed for SharePoint (Windows SharePoint Services or SharePoint Server Foundation depending on your version of Windows Server). Sticking with the most basic options, you will get a basic intranet team site, and it will be very easy to add a calendar(s) to let users post up their leave/absences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Have a look at http://www.whosoff.com/

Forgive the intrusiuon,

But an Outlook / Calander / Computer login system will only tell you who is "supposed" to be in the building and logged in ... not who is "actually" in the building if it is for security or fire purposes.

Where a keycard / Bio system tell you who is actually on site based on them having to use a card or fingerprint to gain access.

The OP specified who is in the building, not who is working, although maybe he does not require that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions.

We are currently changing our telephone system to a method where everyone in the office is supposed to answer incoming calls & transfer (we're losing our receptionist). Now, people will know if someone in their department is on leave/off-site/ill, but not necessarily elsewhere. So, a need for a centralised calendar of sorts.

I don't think that the Outlook Calendar will work (was my first thought) as sick-leave needs to be added by others.

But I will look at the Sharepoint option (we run Windows Server 2003) and possibly Google Calendar.

Everyone signs in at reception for security/fire reasons, this is solution is required so that people don't need to leave their desks to see if someone is around, particularly if they are on a different floor.

Thanks again,

Speeds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just another thought, Windows Live Messenger or Office Communicator will include presence information (Available, Busy, Away, Offline etc). So you can see at a glance what someone's status is. It also integrates with Office and SharePoint so you can see the presence information against contacts there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

There's two systems (built by an Irish sw development company) www.annualleave.com and www.vacationtracker.net both have free sign-up and I think they are free if your have < 5 users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie

Thanks Sean^DCT4

I think that www.annualleave.com will do the job nicely, and great to support Irish companies.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Glad to have you onboard. If you or anyone else signs up for the paid subscription I'm sure I'll be able to get boards.ie discounted rates ;)

Advertisement