Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

• 03-08-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

i live in a crouch built house 1960,am thinking about getting it insulated with the the exterior insulation i know its approved and a grant is available,but would like to know if there are any pit falls with this type of insulation if you had it done would you recommend it,thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

spatchco wrote: »
    i live in a crouch built house 1960

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think he may mean cruck built or crutch built - http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/events-places/cruck-frame-buildings/
    and the external insulation proposed is like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV8kPtE0Oko

But I'm not sure, and don't have any experience of external insulation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

Crouch was the name of a building firm that built houses in the Dublin area,it was an english firm, at the time a crouch built house was the best at the middle price bracket ,very well built ,but now very cold,so that why i was asking about external insulation,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah! ok. Just as a matter of interest why would you not use pumped insulation? And have you got underfloor and attic insulation? We just brought our 60s house from a D2 to a C1, it would have just been into the Bs but the first double glazing we got was not as good as the second half of the house. We have found over the years that eliminating draughts made a lot of difference, the draughts were coming up through the walls, from the suspended floor area.

Sorry if you have done all this, just interested, but I don't know anything about external insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

just to put you in the picture,,,we have our attic [loft] lol converted so that is well as can be insulitated,the walls were built with 9 inch cavity blocks so even if we filled with insulation we could not get a proper cavity fill ,as for the under floor heating,the floors are suspended wooden floor with approx 2 ft between floor and dry core,so i have seen the external dry lineing and it seems to be the way to go ,and i want to get it done before the grants are done away with

• Advertisement
Advertisement