Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a false claim from UPC?

• 03-08-2010 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

vdhapl.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Looks like it alrite, afaik there is a contention ratio of 17:1 or something like that on their 30meg package

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

first its only fibre to the hub in the area as far as i know,and id very much doubt the line is contention free,cos if it was you wouldnt get the usual 6pm-10pm dodgy bandwith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

GHOST MGG2 wrote: »
    first its only fibre to the hub in the area as far as i know,and id very much doubt the line is contention free,cos if it was you wouldnt get the usual 6pm-10pm dodgy bandwith

Unless true it seems to get worse.

UPC now have a speed test on the Irish site with this written under it.

( UPC customers receive top speeds of up to 30Mb and congestion free broadband. ):confused:

Edit speedtest link http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's technically possible to have HFC contention free.

But I have no idea if there are upgraded areas with short enough coax. A coax can be shared and yet contention free. You could have about 80 users on one shared coax with 1:1 30Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

More "clever" (ie: trick) wording.

You don't have contention, you have utilization, which amounts to the same thing really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

More "clever" (ie: trick) wording.

You don't have contention, you have utilization, which amounts to the same thing really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpty_Dumpty
    Humpty appears in Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass (1872), where he discusses semantics and pragmatics with Alice.
    “I don’t know what you mean by ‘glory,’ ” Alice said.
    Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. “Of course you don’t—till I tell you. I meant ‘there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!’ ”
    “But ‘glory’ doesn’t mean ‘a nice knock-down argument’,” Alice objected.
    “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
    “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
    “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master that’s all.”
    Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. “They’ve a temper, some of them—particularly verbs, they’re the proudest—adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs—however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That’s what I say!”[15]

Even when I agree with you,do we still have to argue Dub!:)

I was simply saying that it's a marketing trick.
    Not true but not an outright lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

this is a false claim. I got problems for the last months.... I keep calling to customer support but untill now no solution. They already send over a "technician" but he couldn't find anything wrong. They thought I changed something on my router or whatever. And to top it up they say it is my Apple !!! Wrong even with a Windows machine I don't get the 30MB. Their Cisco modem/router is crap anyway so I use my own router for wifi but even connected by cable my speed is half or sometimes less than they should deliver. I even tried to get some kind of refund but also no response untill now. I don't want to give up and there is no better provider here anyway. Anybody got any thought or same experience ??:mad:

Even when I agree with you,do we still have to argue Dub!:)

I was simply saying that it's a marketing trick.
    Not true but not an outright lie.

And what exactly is an outright lie?

Sadly thats why they can get away with this sort of crap. Let's start calling things that are not true lies again hey? Particularly when they are deliberately not true as in this case? And to call something that misleads people deliberately a "marketing trick" is to buy into this crap that is foisted on us daily.

Lets stop being cynical and saying "well they all do it" and start demanding that companies behave with integrity. Its not too much to ask is it?

After all its lack of integrity that has the country in the mess its in.

dub45 wrote: »
    And what exactly is an outright lie?

Sadly thats why they can get away with this sort of crap. Let's start calling things that are not true lies again hey? Particularly when they are deliberately not true as in this case? And to call something that misleads people deliberately a "marketing trick" is to buy into this crap that is foisted on us daily.

Lets stop being cynical and saying "well they all do it" and start demanding that companies behave with integrity. Its not too much to ask is it?

After all its lack of integrity that has the country in the mess its in.

It's simple.
    UPC don't use a contention system.
    They meassure their network along the lines of utilization.
    It's a different system, so yes it's correct there is no contention, no it's not correct that your line is uncontended.

It's marketing speal, but according to your obsession with the usage of the English language, no it is not a "lie".

Simple.

• Advertisement

It's simple.
    UPC don't use a contention system.
    They meassure their network along the lines of utilization.
    It's a different system, so yes it's correct there is no contention, no it's not correct that your line is uncontended.

It's marketing speal, but according to your obsession with the usage of the English language, no it is not a "lie".

Simple.

It gets even sadder - expecting companies to use words correctly or not to use words in a way which deliberately misleads is "an obsession with the English language"???

Ok so in your view then is it ok for UPC to deliberately mislead people?

fransdev wrote: »
    this is a false claim. I got problems for the last months.... I keep calling to customer support but untill now no solution. They already send over a "technician" but he couldn't find anything wrong. They thought I changed something on my router or whatever. And to top it up they say it is my Apple !!! Wrong even with a Windows machine I don't get the 30MB. Their Cisco modem/router is crap anyway so I use my own router for wifi but even connected by cable my speed is half or sometimes less than they should deliver. I even tried to get some kind of refund but also no response untill now. I don't want to give up and there is no better provider here anyway. Anybody got any thought or same experience ??:mad:

No offence Fransdev, but this is the kinda thing that annoys me about this place.
    You are having a problem, that I'm willing to bet has absoloutly nothing to do with contention/utilization, but you insist that UPC are lying about this, and post the information of your particular problem.

Yes you appear to have an issue, but it is nothing to do with this thread.
    Why insist that UPC are lying about something that has nothing to do with your problem.

I have full speeds all but all of the time on my UPC connection, but that doesn't mean that I assume everyone does.
    Why do you assume that because you're having a problem, that everything about UPC is a lie?!

dub45 wrote: »
    It gets even sadder - expecting companies to use words correctly or not to use words in a way which deliberately misleads is "an obsession with the English language"???

Ok so in your view then is it ok for UPC to deliberately mislead people?

Dub, take off the tin foil hat!

As I've said to you, God knows how many times now, EVERY COMPANY IN THE WORLD ADVERTISES LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!

Dub, take off the tin foil hat!

As I've said to you, God knows how many times now, EVERY COMPANY IN THE WORLD ADVERTISES LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!

And as I have said before on here many many times it is truly sad when otherwise apparently intelligent people use one company's (or many companies's) lousy behaviour to justify anothers's lousy behaviour.

No wonder companies can get away with misleading people when the attitude is "Sure everyone does it".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

I am sorry if I offended you and it almost sounds you work for UPC but anyway it was not my intention to post in the wrong thread. And it is quit possible my situation is affected by contention, not sure. That was also the reason I put it here to ask oppinion and advice.

Advertisement