Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Recovery Prices

Options
  • 03-08-2010 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi Folks,
    I am currently sourcing a HRV system for a new house. I have narrowed my choice down to 2 companies. Proair and Brinks. There is a difference of approx €1,000 in their prices, Brinks being the more expensive. They argue that their system is a better system (surprisingly!) because the ducting and the heat recovery unit are manufactured by the one company allowing them to stand over the complete system should there be issues, wheras other companies use ordinary ducting which can have issues with air loss, etc.
    Their ducting comes in coils and is jointless with ducting converging at two seperate manifolds within the house. They say their ducting is anti-static and because of having no joints it will be easier to clean. They reckon it will need cleaning every 7-8 years. There cowls also sit approx 50m proud of the ceiling level (similiar to smoke alarm) which allows them to generate greater air movement (12m diameter of air movement according to rep. They are to send me on a video clip showing the air movements generated by the unit using smoke as a visual.
    I kind of see their points but as they are only set up in Ireland around 2 months they have no track record in this country in domestic HRV and I am a bit uncertain about them.
    Has anybody out there used their services yet, if so what were they like to deal with during installation? Does anyone have an opinion on whether this €1,000 extra is worth paying in the long term?
    I hope i have followed the rules of posting here (think company names allowed in this section) and that people have their opinions.
    Thanks in advance,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wolfhound14

Hi,

I am not at the sourcing stage yet but I have sent out for a few quotes for budgeting purposes. ProAir are one of the systems I have been quoted for and it is €700 cheaper than the other quote I have.

My main issue with the ProAir quote I received is in their FAQ:
    Q. The system does not have a summer bypass. What can I do to keep the house cool in summer?
    A. HRV system is not a cooling system and can never be, despite what some suppliers might claim. A thermostat can be fitted to turn off the supply fan in summer, thereby giving an energy saving and leaving you with an extract system to deal with moisture. At this time of the year, thermal efficiency will not be an issue and windows can be opened.

I think this is basically advising me to turn the thing off in summer, or open windows. I think this is a real safety issue. What if I shut off and somebody closes the windows; will this lead to an unhealthy environment?

Most of the other systems I have read about have a summer bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Are Brinks listed on the SAP Appendix Q ? Its a good sign to see there unit listed.

Is there ducting flexible ? The general recommendation I have seen is to go with rigid ducting, mainly for cleaning and better airflow as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

tframe wrote: »
    From what I've read linking the technologies so they work together is the best way to go.

I must have been missing that day in school. Any chance of some links to what you have 'read'?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

The ducting comes in coils - is it still rigid ducting? I can't imagine the rigid ducting ever being able to be coiled...

I have heard rigid ducting is better than the felxible - in terms of air flow, gathering dust, etc.
    So might want to factor that into your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

See installed rigid ducting highlighted in red

• Advertisement
Advertisement