Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need a bike .. advice

• 03-08-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

okay im doing a few triathlons and bits n pieces have been on a borrowed bike up to now but have been taking the p*ss a bit with the amount i have it so i need to purchase..
    i dont do a lot maybe 2-3 times a week and maybe 2-3 tri-s / adventure races planned for this year - one done - 2 to go.. might do more next year
    dont want to break the bank could go to 300-350
    halfords ( i know ) have a carrera something around the 350 mark
    a local bike shop i rang today have a dawes something ( wasnt listening ) that was 600 odd going for 450.. if i get it on the cycle to work scheme this work out round 350 as well.. dont know a thing about road bike brands which would be better dawes i presume ?
    is 300 / 350 odd a bit low ,
    the bike im using at the moment is as old as i am, my mate got it for 100 euro, brought it in to get new tyres as a thank you for having the use of it and the guy in the shop told me hes sold it a rake of times to people as their start off bike.. nothing special but it seems fine to me.. i actualy prefer it to a new giant bike that i also have the loan of from time to time..
    so the questions are..dawes or carrera or can anyone recomend a reasonable halfway decent road bike around the 350 ish mark
    and is there any chance id pick up a reasonable second hand at 350..
    apologies for long post..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Russman

If you can use the bike to work scheme, something like a Giant Defy 4, http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=31155

Specialized Allez or Felt Z100 would be in or around that price range.

Sorry, I can't find links to the others.

With my limited knowledge I'd say they'd all be better than the Dawes or Carrera, but am open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah thanks for the advice but thats up at the 450 range, out of price range altogether..350 is the top end.. at least your filling me in on which brands are better though so cheers for that..

Advertisement