Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Towel Shave: Experiences?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Well for a birthday treat from a family member, went to a barbers (not going to say where at the moment) and went for my 1st hot towel shave.

Now i have pretty sensitive skin and i told the person who did it about my skin who said its no problem.

Got the 1st hot towel on and felt great but when the person started shaving with the straight edge razor, they were TEARING the hair out of my face and they seem to start going against the grain. they could see I was uncomfortable and after the 1st pass and the put the towel back on, they completed the rest of the shave with a MACH 3 razor.

After it was all over, my face and neck was red raw and looked swollen. It was actually painful to touch and went I went to my sister who has been a beautician for the last 14 years she was shocked to see the state I was in and had to put some balm on my skin to remove the redness.

I will NEVER go back to that place but its left a doubt in my mind about getting a hot towel shave again.

Now i know I shouldn't let one back experience put be off, so the next time im in dublin, im going to head to the Walforf Barbers for a proper Hot Towel shave for comparison.

Have many here had a hot towel shave and what was your experience?

Cheers
    V
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

This is what I expected.

I got freddy kruger instead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I'd lodge a complaint. Hot towel shaves are supposed to be an extremely pleasurable experience. I saw a guy in Turkey get one and he looked totally chilled out afterwards.

I'd lodge a complaint. Hot towel shaves are supposed to be an extremely pleasurable experience. I saw a guy in Turkey get one and he looked totally chilled out afterwards.

After it was done i didnt notice the redness, but after the 5 min walk to my sis shop, it was like i was on fire.

Its not a place I went before and as it was my 1st time, i wasnt sure if the was the norm for sensitive skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I last got one a few months ago and it was great. I felt awesome afterwards... really refreshed! :)

You should certainly make a complaint.

Dord wrote: »
    I last got one a few months ago and it was great. I felt awesome afterwards... really refreshed! :)

You should certainly make a complaint.

I couldnt be bothered as I never intend to set foot in the place ever again. Im just waiting to get to Dublin and try the Waldorf barbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finishing with a Mach 3? Seriously

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cabaal wrote: »
    I was thinking the same! I got one there a while ago in a certain southisde shopping centre, a very relaxing experience I must say. Yes the skin can be a lit red afterwards but should not be sore to touch:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

How much is the waldorf does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

I got them done several times when I was in India and China.....basically it was cheaper than buying Gilette blades and a good social experience. When i think back, they were really really good. There was a bit of ceremony about it, they would always open a new blade out of the envelope and then flame it to show you it was completely clean and sterile. I'd have fairly sensitive skin and I don't remember being cut at all. I always looked forward to getting it done, which at the time was about once a week.

Have never had it done here, too expensive.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've had two experiences here. The first was pretty good, although I was a little surprised at the use of a disposable blade (which made sense when I thought some more about it). The second, more recently, used a standard straight razor, but he didn't strop it before the shave and it wasn't as clean a shave as I can get myself with DE. Still, it was a pretty pleasant experience.

• Advertisement

yup and ive heard reports the same place did the same with others using a BIC disposable razor. :O

brightkane wrote: »
    How much is the waldorf does anyone know?

rang them last year. 35euro as far as I can remember

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yup and ive heard reports the same place did the same with others using a BIC disposable razor. :O

wtf, what the hell is wrong with these people.
    :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I get a hot towel shave every two months. I use an electric one everyday, and find the wet shave is a real stress buster. I went to Knights in Dundrum twice, they're nice but a bit expensive. Maybe €45. I go to The Mens Room in Naas now, living down there now, and get a haircut and wet shave for €25. Always ask for the same guy, Paul, and he does a class job. Heard the Waldorf is nice.

wtf, what the hell is wrong with these people.
    :mad:

Now i didnt name the place as it seems to be just one person in the shop that does this from what I heard, so not sure what the other staff are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Does the Waldorf offer a 'gift coupon' for a hot towel shave? I'm thinking of giving one away as a present.

A coupon where a set service would be visible on it, but not a cash value, if you get me.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Does the Waldorf offer a 'gift coupon' for a hot towel shave? I'm thinking of giving one away as a present.

A coupon where a set service would be visible on it, but not a cash value, if you get me.

well thats what I got for that place I went to, just the service, no price so im sure other places would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭whimsey

Waldorfs would be my favourite the grooming rooms are nice too. However
    my beard is very heavy and I do suffer from redness afterwards. Its the same even when I have it done in London in places like Trumpers/Truefitt and Hill.

But it an experience for sure.

Whimsey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056008656

Current Boards offer might be of interest. Hot towel shave and haircut for half the normal price.

Anyone have any experience with The Grooming Room? It looks like they use a shavette.

It's not much of a bargain for me, as a slaphead I don't have much need for a haircut.

A lot of places I've seen use shavettes rather than straight razors. It's more hygienic.

• Advertisement

If I lived in Dublin I'd consider it, oh well.
    Not worth spending two hours in the car to get the hair cut/get a shave

It might be a good deal for those wishing to check out the Grooming Room (which does look quite nice!). However, in my opinion I don't believe it's a great deal... just a good one. I've gotten a hair cut and hot towel shave for under 30 euro in Dublin and it wasn't a special offer.

Was just thinking, I wonder if its an idea to make a sticky for recommendations for where to go for Hot Towel Shaves etc by Region.

Eg

Dublin: Waldorf Barbers (for example)
    Cavan: ?
    Meath: ?

But only recommendations by people who have actually BEEN there and had a shave. No 2nd or 3rd hand recommendations that may not be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Anyone have any experience with The Grooming Room? It looks like they use a shavette.

They do as do most places. Not for hygiene but for ease of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Disco Volante

I was going to a place for a while and I was really enjoying it. I have sensitive skin too the barber knew about it and always took a bit of care with me so I continued to go back. One day I went in and he was by himself I asked if he would mind giving me a shave as I hadn't booked in. He said it was cool but about a quarter of the way through the shave the place started to fill up so he began to rush and took off a lair of skin along with having me look like I botched a suicide attempt.

Needless to say I was less than impressed and told him I wasn't paying the full price for it. I think the price was 30 I gave him a tenner and told I wouldn't be back again for a hair cut or a shave. I found it completely unacceptable that he rushed it and cut me and left me red raw. I know cuts will happen but this was a joke I was left walking to the car with blood all over my neck and the collar of my shirt.

I didn't have a shave then in over six months found a new place and it seems to be the real deal. I think you need to have a level of trust in the barber too! They are great for de-stressing! I get one every 4 or 5 weeks!

I was going to a place for a while and I was really enjoying it. I have sensitive skin too the barber knew about it and always took a bit of care with me so I continued to go back. One day I went in and he was by himself I asked if he would mind giving me a shave as I hadn't booked in. He said it was cool but about a quarter of the way through the shave the place started to fill up so he began to rush and took off a lair of skin along with having me look like I botched a suicide attempt.

Needless to say I was less than impressed and told him I wasn't paying the full price for it. I think the price was 30 I gave him a tenner and told I wouldn't be back again for a hair cut or a shave. I found it completely unacceptable that he rushed it and cut me and left me red raw. I know cuts will happen but this was a joke I was left walking to the car with blood all over my neck and the collar of my shirt.

I didn't have a shave then in over six months found a new place and it seems to be the real deal. I think you need to have a level of trust in the barber too! They are great for de-stressing! I get one every 4 or 5 weeks!

Where is your new place now to get a shave?

That's ridiculous and would totally turn me off getting a hot towel shave. Thankfully my first such shave was with a great barber who took his time and seemed to know what he was doing. I do agree that there is a great level of trust involved so you expect that the person will acknowledge that and make you feel comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

The missus bought me one for Xmas 2009, I still haven't used it yet, after seeing what they did to poor Kenny Egan (look at the gash in the mirror) I think I'll stick to my DE.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055735691&highlight=kenny+egan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I've gotten 2 hot towel shaves. Both were really relaxing experiences but the quality of the shaves weren't great. They didn't cut me or anything but the shaves were very patchy. I had to tidy up the last one I got with my own DE when I got home. Having said that it wouldn't put me off getting another one....just not in the places I've gotten them in before.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    The missus bought me one for Xmas 2009, I still haven't used it yet, after seeing what they did to poor Kenny Egan (look at the gash in the mirror) I think I'll stick to my DE.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055735691&highlight=kenny+egan

I've had 3 or 4 of them over the years in different places, nice and relaxing but as shaves go fairly sh1t. After a good gym work out and 10 mins in the sauna I get a far closer shave with a Gillette fusion with no irritation or razor rash. I reckon most of the hot towel places are not as good as they should be.

Advertisement