Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michelin Star Restaurants in Dublin

Options
  • 03-08-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Lads, just wondering have any of you eaten in the following restaurants recently? Chapter One, L'Ecrivain or Guilbaud's

I know they are all quality but would be interested to hear if the have kept up their standards. I want to get a voucher from one of them for a weddding present.

Thanks

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dubmick wrote: »
    Lads, just wondering have any of you eaten in the following restaurants recently? Chapter One, L'Ecrivain or Guilbaud's

I know they are all quality but would be interested to hear if the have kept up their standards. I want to get a voucher from one of them for a weddding present.

Thanks

Mick

Sorry, can't answer your question but I can make some other recommendations which would be more of an 'event' and very romantic.

I've been in all three of these places with my wife and could recommend each of them highly, and equally.

The Old Convent, Clogheen Co. Tipperary

Gregan's Castle, Ballyvaughn Co Clare.

Inis Meain Suites, Aran Islands.

The first two would be more Michelin Star type food and Inis Meain has more simple, beautifully cooked food and is quite magical.

Each of them has fantastic food and accommodation, in beautiful locations but what all of them have going for them is the people who personally run them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Was in L'Ecrivain over the weekend (2nd wedding anniversary), went to Guilbauds for our 1st anniversary. While the food was excellent in both if given the choice to go to either again we both would choose Guilbauds.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Went to Chapter One in February with husband - as a birthday present. Food was really nice, especially the steak, the dessert was amazing. The only thing I did not like that the service was a bit intrusive: we were deep into conversation, and my husband wanted to fill up my glass with water - the waiter literally jumped beside him, grabbed the bottle from my husband's hand and refilled my glass himself. I think that was a bit rude, but otherwise it was a great dining experience which I would like to repeat soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

thanks for all the replies, "food" for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try Salon des Saveurs as an alternative. I ate there a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Pearl Brasserie is another fine restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Chapter One is the best of the three, but Guilbauds is a bit more dramatic if they are into that, portion sizes in L'Ecrivain got too small but have heard they've improved on that. Don't forget Thornton's too - room overlooks St Stephen's Green which could be romantic for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 for Pearl, great place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For somewhere a little more out of the way, there is also MacMean's in Blacklion in Cavan run by Neven Maguire. Was there recently and it really was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭trellheim

Chapter one is awesome every time; that takes some doing. Lecrivain and Guilbauds are pale shadows besides it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Possum66 wrote: »
    Went to Chapter One in February with husband - as a birthday present. Food was really nice, especially the steak, the dessert was amazing. The only thing I did not like that the service was a bit intrusive: we were deep into conversation, and my husband wanted to fill up my glass with water - the waiter literally jumped beside him, grabbed the bottle from my husband's hand and refilled my glass himself. I think that was a bit rude, but otherwise it was a great dining experience which I would like to repeat soon.

rude that the waiter went out of his way to attend your needs.

You can't win em all I guess.

Your husband could have politley advised the waiter he was going to take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

ntlbell wrote: »
    rude that the waiter went out of his way to attend your needs.

You can't win em all I guess.

Your husband could have politley advised the waiter he was going to take care of it.

Sure, next time he is going to do so. I don't mind an attentive waiter, it was just the way he had jumped beside the table and took the carafe from my husband.

But apart from this, everything was great there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

One Pico is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Chapter One is by far my favourite - it gets all boxes ticked IMO. I had two experiences in Guilbauds, one great, and one terrible. So not sure if I'm going to go back to spend that amount of money to decide again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Swampy wrote: »
    One Pico is also excellent.

Agree here.

Been there a few times and have not been disappointed.
    (it hasn't got a Michelin Star iirc)

Been to Chapter One - again this was excellent all round, food service and atmosphere.

Also went to Thorntons a few months ago - got the tasting menu - unbeleivable. Only thing missing from Thorntons is a bit of an atmosphere. Very quiet. But nice views of the Green and good if you want a quiet place to dine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

I got them a Chapter One voucher in the end. I didn't know they closed the for the first two weeks of August. The office was open so it was no problem getting a voucher.

Anyway, our friends were delighted with the voucher. I'll report back when they go, I'd imagine it won't be too long after their honeymoon.

Thanks for all the recommendations. This thread has turned into a handy list of the best restaurants in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Chapter One's is head and shoulder above every restaurant in Ireland - you'll never have a bad meal there.

Even the 2-Star Guilbaud's is a level behind it, IMO.

I've heard L'Ecrivain has gone downhill badly (though I haven't been in years), and that Thorntons is fantastic or mediocre depending on the evening.

When you're spending the large amount of money these restaurants charge, you want to be sure of a great meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

duckworth wrote: »
    Chapter One's is head and shoulder above every restaurant in Ireland

The Cliff House Hotel; McNean's and Deane's? The offerings in Chapter One are very conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

The Cliff House Hotel; McNean's and Deane's? The offerings in Chapter One are very conservative.

I'm not sure what you mean by conservative? Do you mean classical?

If you mean classical, I think you're wrong. It is Irish/French combined in what I think is pretty unique in the country. L'Ecrivain is much more classical.

If you mean by conservative its not Molecular Gastronomy or Avant garde, then no it isn't - but there's been nowhere truly innovative since Mint went. Cliff House Hotel pretends to this I think, but I have yet to be impressed.

I've never been to Deane's (it's abroad...), and Neven Maguire is the epitome of conservative from my experience!

Advertisement