Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lough neagh tri turn out?

• 03-08-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

competed in this olympic dist.tri at the weekend,
    well organised, good conditions, fast course, national series race.
    yet only 130+ competitors took part,
    checked out previous years,
    08=280+ starters
    09=190+ starters
    10=130+ starters
    for a well run race why the decline,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Wow, that's not good :confused: Definitely a well run race!

Perhaps with the sackload of races on down here people aren't as willing to travel?

I did this race every year (I think) from 2003-2008 and always really enjoyed it. Coincidentally not last year as I did IM and got lazy after, this year I've done no races..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cantswim

4/5 years ago this was one of the biggest races and quite a few others very popular ones were in the north. Interesting that now there are few enough races up north with 200 plus people entered compared to down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Too far a drive I reckon. I did it for a few years (05 to 07) and drove up and back on the day, but its pretty tiring. There are heaps of races closer to everyone's homes IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

competed in this olympic dist.tri at the weekend,
    well organised, good conditions, fast course, national series race.
    yet only 130+ competitors took part,
    checked out previous years,
    08=280+ starters
    09=190+ starters
    10=130+ starters
    for a well run race why the decline,

I know I stopped going to it or recommending it due to the congestion on the bike course and lack of draft marshals.

On that course it meant huge packs of riders riding 4-5 across and if you encountered them on the bit where riders are going up the right hand side of the road and down the other side its potentially very dangerous. you either overtake and potentially hit oncoming riders or try and ride through the pack.

In 2007, the last year I did it, there were over 300 people in the race. I wasn't a strong biker then and I still ended up confront the dilemma of through or around a few times, enough that I've not gone back.

Pity cause I really enjoyed the race the few years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭too much trifle

plenty of draft busters on the course this year,
    but i guess it is'nt such a problem with less than half the competitors of previous years
    for spectators it's certainly one to recomend, 4 lap bike , 4lap run ,
    you get great support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah great race. did it for the first time myself. its funny that people mention the drive as a reason for not doing it as from dublin its closer than galway, kerry, limerick, mullaghmore and plenty other races which many based here do. They did also have shed loads of draftbusters and seemed to be taking it seriously enough but i cant see increased numbers causing a congestion issue at parts

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I did it on Saturday too & honestly one thing you have to say is that they took drafting much more seriously than any other race! They said they had 8 motorbikes on a course which is 4 laps of 10km that's a lot of draftbusters... and it really did feel like there were that many - they were constantly up behind you and I never saw one person drafting.

That said - some of the roads are narrow a bigger field & it could become a problem but in fairness, I've never seen drafting so well policed!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Think publicity and the current economic climate may have something to do with it , Planned my few tri's for 2010 in about April and I had not heard of this race until about a month ago . I know it was on the Tri websites but aren't they all !!

With a family in tow these can be expensive .
    Looked great on the website and have marked it in for next year as it would be great for the BH weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Wow, a lot of multisport races that weekend:

Ballyhoura Blitz (75)
    Ballyhoura Beast (?)
    Rosses Point Triathlon (270)
    Tri795 (95)
    Lisburn City Tri +Aquathlon (190)
    Lough Neagh (130)
    Focus Ireland (130)

So there were just short of 1,000 people in the country involved in multisports events in Ireland at the weekend.

Advertisement