Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another "Where Should I Live?" Thread

Options
  • 03-08-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello All-

I will be moving to Dublin in a few weeks with my girlfriend. I'll be doing postgrad at Trinity and she'll be working as a chiropractor. We'd like to know any suggestions on where to rent. We don't need the Taj Mahal but we don't want a dump either. We prefer places with some character, not shiny new flats with stainless steel and marble. We'd like a two-bed with its own door. What areas have some character, are safe enough for her to walk alone in the evenings, are easy to walk/bike to campus?

Any help and opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well it's pretty easy to get to Trinity from anywhere since it's in the middle of town, but you didn't say where your girlfriend will be working. That'd help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 captnc

Good pont- She isn't quite sure where she'll be working as of yet. I suppose our preference is to stay fairly central.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Rathmines near the canal is about 20 minutes walk, Ranelagh is another option then the town end of Donnybrook/Ballsbridge but probably a bit more pricey. Northside isnt an option for you as cycling though town is a pain imo.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NiamhTCD

captnc wrote: »
    Hello All-

I will be moving to Dublin in a few weeks with my girlfriend. I'll be doing postgrad at Trinity and she'll be working as a chiropractor. We'd like to know any suggestions on where to rent. We don't need the Taj Mahal but we don't want a dump either. We prefer places with some character, not shiny new flats with stainless steel and marble. We'd like a two-bed with its own door. What areas have some character, are safe enough for her to walk alone in the evenings, are easy to walk/bike to campus?

Any help and opinions are appreciated.
    Why did you feel the need to mention that your girlfriend will be working as a chiropractor?
    Anyway summerhill, parnell street or eastwall should be ideal for your girlfriend considering she doesn't attend TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

NiamhTCD wrote: »
    Why did you feel the need to mention that your girlfriend will be working as a chiropractor?
    Anyway summerhill, parnell street or eastwall should be ideal for your girlfriend considering she doesn't attend TCD.

:eek: I wouldn't live in any of these areas. Unless your girlfried is good at self-defense, I doubt she'd be happy. NiamhTCD- you're not a native are you? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

NiamhTCD wrote: »

troll.jpg&t=1

Troll, banned, a month for being so blatant.

Take it elsewhere

silverharp wrote: »
    Rathmines near the canal is about 20 minutes walk, Ranelagh is another option then the town end of Donnybrook/Ballsbridge but probably a bit more pricey. Northside isnt an option for you as cycling though town is a pain imo.

I'll look into Rathmines and Ranelagh. I've heard good and bad abouth the northside, but I suppose that's the way it is with any area. Any opinion on the Smithfield area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I'd second Rathmines. I've been living here for about 4 years and absolutely love it. Will be sad when I buy my own place and have to move out of here!

It's got 4 supermarkets, cinema, pubs/bars, restaurants...all you need really. A lovely 20 minute walk into town too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Des wrote: »
    troll.jpg&t=1

Troll, banned, a month for being so blatant.

Take it elsewhere

Given her recent Dundrum thread/troll in After Hours I'd say you were lenient.

Personally I'd rather not have her here - permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I'll look into Rathmines and Ranelagh. I've heard good and bad abouth the northside, but I suppose that's the way it is with any area. Any opinion on the Smithfield area?

like you say yourself its like that with any area, there are good and bad areas south and north of the liffey, its how you live, not where.

raheny is a nice area, its very close to the city, has excellent transport links, good shopping, is close to the M50 and has the beach on its doorstep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 techyness

Did a postgrad in TCD last year myself. I live in Drumcondra - about a 20min walk from where i live in a two bed red brick terrace to Trinners. Nice area - close to Croker - good transport links - train station and plenty of buses. Glasnevin and Phibsboro might be good options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Another +1 for Rathmines/Ranelagh from me. Also look at Harold's Cross too, it's very close to all the amenities in Rathmines but it's a little quieter. I rented there for years and I loved it. I'd move back in a heartbeat, finances permitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

As stated Rathmines and Ranelagh are both lovely and have excellent amenities, Harold's Cross as mentioned is also a nice spot, it's a lot quieter than the other two, with less amenities but has good bus routes. I would also recommend Rathgar and Terenure areas (both a little further out) but I personally love them both and would remain there forever.

Had friends living in Drumcondra and it really is a great location north of the river, going through town might be a bit of a pain though. Also a prime spot if you are into GAA as it's very close to Croke Park.

Smithfield is mostly new buildings and not alot of two beds with there own door and really all have very little character, but location wise it is pretty hard to beat. Everywhere in town would be within walking distance.

As for saftey and your girlfriend walking on her own in the evenings, my advice would be the same for any area in Dublin, be vigilant and don't wander into any areas to far off the beaten track (laneways and places with little to no lighting) as long as the places you are looking at are in areas with a decent amount of human traffic and she should be fine.

Best of luck in your search! :D

Thank you all for your help. We have found a few places online we will view when we arrive. Is there any truth to idea of two different prices, one for Irish and one for foreigners? I know it does happen here in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thank you all for your help. We have found a few places online we will view when we arrive. Is there any truth to idea of two different prices, one for Irish and one for foreigners? I know it does happen here in the States.

Look on http://www.daft.ie/ and you'll see the prices actually listed, also pictures of the places and maps showing where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Is there any truth to idea of two different prices, one for Irish and one for foreigners?

I'm not sure on that one, as someone also said, look on Daft, all prices are listed so they can't really decide to up the price once it's advertised as something else.

What I will say though is that everything is negotiable at the moment. The sooner you can move in the better your chances of negotiating a better rent. So if it's advertised as €1100, say "is it negotiable if we were ready to move in immediately?". Majority of the time they'll say yes and you're likely to get it down as far as €1000 in many cases. That's what my OH and I did. Good luck!

Thanks again for all the advice! I came across an ad on Craigslist:

http://dublin.craigslist.org/apa/1883552361.html

Is this a decent part of town and furthermore does this price sound reasonable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Southside: Ringsend/Irishtown/Sandymount.
    Northside: Phibsborough/Drumcondra.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Is this a decent part of town and furthermore does this price sound reasonable?

I used to work on Barrow St and it's not that long of a walk to get to TCD from there. Good access to the DART too, so anywhere along that line (along the coast) will be easily accessible to you. For public transport to the rest of the city, most of your options will involve going closer into town and then coming out again.

It's not a terrible part of town. There are a few shops and restaurants in the area, not many though, you will have to travel to a decent supermarket. Google are based on Barrow Street and at least one big law firm so the footfall 9-5 Mon-Fri keeps it safe enough. I haven't been around there much at night but any time I was, it seemed safe enough.

That price isn't too bad if the house is exactly as described. Shop around and bargain hard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I absolutely love that part of town - I lived in Ringsend just a few minutes' walk from there. It's true there isn't any major supermarket, but the Spar next to Google is pretty decent and there's that Fresh place on the docks (if it's still open?) plus it's so close to Baggot Street. Would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement