Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another deposit question

Options
  • 03-08-2010 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

quick one for ye...thanks in advance....im breaking my 12 month lease after six months.....can my landlord keep my deposit??i have givin him the correct amount of notice......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

dazzlermac wrote: »
    quick one for ye...thanks in advance....im breaking my 12 month lease after six months.....can my landlord keep my deposit??i have givin him the correct amount of notice......

what do you mean you have given the correct notice ? is there something in the lease that allows this (break clause) if so and your following the terms then your entitled to it back assuming no damage or outstanding bills

if ther eis no break clause your libel for the full 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Check your lease and see if there was a clause providing for the early ending/breaking of the lease. If there is and you've fulfilled all the requirements, then you should get your deposit back, unless there's arrears in rent, bills unpaid and any damage.

If there is no clause, then your landlord can retain the deposit as part payment towards the rent owing for the remainder of your lease.

If you're in any doubt about your situation contact threshold for professional advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

sorry i worded that wrong......i have given 35 days written notice....no there is no exit clause

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If the landlord is willing to let you off paying the remaining 6 months rent but wants to keep the deposit, I'd say you're lucky enough that he isn't pursuing you for the rest of the rent.

However, that's just my opinion and you would be best to get in touch with threshold, or at the very least take a look at their website - www.threshold.ie - to see if they can give any advice on your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

dazzlermac wrote: »
    sorry i worded that wrong......i have given 35 days written notice....no there is no exit clause

then your libel for the last 6 months rent. I wouldnt expect to get the deposit back if I was you

• Advertisement
Advertisement