Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you use baby shampoo on your dog??

Options
  • 03-08-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

just wondering this ive heard of people using head and shoulders for dandruff on their dogs and apparently it works...johnstons shampoo for babies is very mild would it be possible to use it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I use johnsons baby shampoo on my westie all the time. Haven't heard of anyone using head and shoulders, think I'd ask the vet about that one if it was me. My vet said the johnsons is perfect for their skin, and I can confirm that my fella has never reacted to it and his coat is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Yep I use baby shampoo on my dogs especially the no tears ones around their eyes etc with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I regularly use baby shampoo for my dogs, its fine, just dilute it a little(50/50 is fine) and rinse well. They do a conditioning one too, smells lovely and leaves the coat easy to brush. It was recommended to me by the breeder of my older dog. Vet also said its ok, and great if dog has skin issues, as its so mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

ah good i was thinkin because it was so mild it would be ok:)smells nice so ill give it a go;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Nope, I don't recommend it. Dogs' skin has a different pH to ours, so you should always use doggy shampoo. Human shampoo is too drying.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I've wondered about this and meant to ask the vet...

So is that a yes or a no to the baby shampoo
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Actually baby shampoo is way milder than a lot of dog shampoos. I've never had any problems with it and I have a westie and they can be prone to skin problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

I checked with the vet and its grand to use on dogs its very mild:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We use it, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'd be looking for a groomer's advice on this, not a vet's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have asked a groomer, she said she used it on her own dog as it had skin problems(Westie x Bichon). She said it was milder than the dog stuff, just dilute it by adding it to a jug of warm water and pour over the dog while rubbing it in, and always rinse well.
    I have also used it on a cat(washing a cat is not recommended unless its an emergency and if you want to keep all your limbs) and it was fine.

OP I would never use head and shoulders on a dog, way to strong, and dandruff in a dog is usually due to diet or a skin condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

boomerang wrote: »
    I'd be looking for a groomer's advice on this, not a vet's.

That's debatable. I'd have thought that a vet would be more qualified in knowing what is good or bad for a dog in most cases, including this one. They have probably come across lots of cases of dogs with skin problems due to owners using human shampoo.

Advertisement