Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get ahead of DAFT...

Options
  • 03-08-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to look for a larger place to move than where we are, but DAFT seems to be slim pickings in where we want to be [ D4/D6, 3-bed semi-d or better, garden for dog, offstreet parking for 2 cars, not mad money , just the two of us, both working , tons of references, if we find a place we'll be there for years ].

Now most people will focus on the "Mad Money" - well I don't mean 15,000 per month but it's not the rent per se, but the complete lack of anything above pure, classic shoeboxes for decent money

My last 3 rentals have been zero problems but not agency, individual landlords by word of mouth. but this time it seems like there is nothing out there.

My question : Can I get on Estate/letting Agents lists , is it worth it, if it is, can anyone recommend an agency ? Is there a charge

My intent is to be the guy they call when a good property comes in.

or do I have the wrong end and just check daft every 10 seconds ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

If you think finding a nice place for 2 people is tough in D4/6, you should try looking for 1-person properties. Bloody nightmare. In general, considering the building frenzy we've just been through, the quality of rental accommodation in Dublin is absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

If you think finding a nice place for 2 people is tough in D4/6, you should try looking for 1-person properties. Bloody nightmare. In general, considering the building frenzy we've just been through, the quality of rental accommodation in Dublin is absolutely shocking.

Not to derail the thread, but a lot of the stuff for sale is equally shocking.

OP, asking prices are still way too high for rental (and sales). However, I'm sure deals are there to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

trellheim wrote: »
    Now most people will focus on the "Mad Money" - well I don't mean 15,000 per month but it's not the rent per se, but the complete lack of anything above pure, classic shoeboxes for decent money
    I take it you mean €1,500 a month? I take it you're looking for a place for maybe €1,200 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is mad money at 15,000 per month : http://www.daft.ie/2844111

Thanks for posting that but it's what I was trying to say : student flats in the 2nd. the first is a decent link and we're trying to get that sort of thing. but very very rare on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

student flats in the 2nd.
    Places that take animals also take students, it seems :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Trellheim, there's no need to check Daft every 5 minutes.

You can set up an email alert from the bar just below your search criteria on the results page.

Or if you click on the RSS button (orange) just below the search criteria, you will get a notification on Google Reader (very intuitive) as soon as a property that fits your criteria is posted on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I PM'd you there, trellheim.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

D4/D6, 3-bed semi-d or better, garden for dog, offstreet parking for 2 cars
    Most of D4 & D6 is in older properties which don't conform to the above description.

You'll find lots of 2-bed mews and terrace houses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Agree with Victor - D4/6 is not a place many semis got built as it was already mostly developed. You might be better off moving out a postcode or two.

Secondly, offstreet parking for 1 car, never mind 2, would be considered a big luxury in any part of Dublin where there is paid for on street parking (i.e. a sure sign of major parking shortages).

Try out around Terenure, Tempelogue, Churchtown directions - you'll surely find more "traditional" property there.

I would say though, that requiring dog space might limit your options somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

We've been looking for a 2-3bed place in D6, D6W for a long term rental and the quality isn't great alright. We've only seen one suitable place in months of looking now. At this stage our criteria have loosened and our budget has gone up, but still no joy. :rolleyes:

But what is driving me bananas is that the letting agents never answer emails, even when they specify email contact only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement