Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband, Cork City Center

• 03-08-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I moved into a new apartment in Cork city center about 2 months ago and have been trying to sort out broadband. Initially I tried to go with UPC, and despite it working for the first 20 days (I had a modem and account from the previous address), UPC wouldn't allow me to sign up for an account as the "tap" hadn't been upgraded and therefore the line wasn't of sufficient quality.

Next I tried to go with DSL, specifically Magnet, and while I haven't given up completely I'm pretty much at my wits end. Basically I'm stuck in the Eircom activating the line stage because the phone line runs through a private premises on the ground floor of the apartment block which is owned by a company that now operates out of Dublin and who will only deal with Eircom, while Eircom says its my responsibility to arrange access. Just had another visit from Eircom this morning so its another 14 days at the earliest before they will send an engineer again even if I got a key tomorrow morning, which I can't. So that pretty much rules out all DSL providers.

So firstly I'm wondering if there is anyway to get UPC to upgrade the tap so that I can sign up with them again. I have no idea what this would involve or if it is even something that UPC would consider, but at this stage I'm getting pretty desperate and its beginning to look like they are my last chance for fixed line broadband.

Secondly, if the line that is currently in the apartment is unusable because its inaccessible, is it possible to get Eircom to run a new line?

Finally does anybody know what my options are with regards to fixed wireless broadband. I'm hesitant to go down this route but its beginning to look like I won't have any other choice. I'm using one of those 3G dongles at the moment honestly its almost unusable.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Knasher wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I moved into a new apartment in Cork city center about 2 months ago and have been trying to sort out broadband. Initially I tried to go with UPC, and despite it working for the first 20 days (I had a modem and account from the previous address), UPC wouldn't allow me to sign up for an account as the "tap" hadn't been upgraded and therefore the line wasn't of sufficient quality.

Next I tried to go with DSL, specifically Magnet, and while I haven't given up completely I'm pretty much at my wits end. Basically I'm stuck in the Eircom activating the line stage because the phone line runs through a private premises on the ground floor of the apartment block which is owned by a company that now operates out of Dublin and who will only deal with Eircom, while Eircom says its my responsibility to arrange access. Just had another visit from Eircom this morning so its another 14 days at the earliest before they will send an engineer again even if I got a key tomorrow morning, which I can't. So that pretty much rules out all DSL providers.

So firstly I'm wondering if there is anyway to get UPC to upgrade the tap so that I can sign up with them again. I have no idea what this would involve or if it is even something that UPC would consider, but at this stage I'm getting pretty desperate and its beginning to look like they are my last chance for fixed line broadband.

Secondly, if the line that is currently in the apartment is unusable because its inaccessible, is it possible to get Eircom to run a new line?

Finally does anybody know what my options are with regards to fixed wireless broadband. I'm hesitant to go down this route but its beginning to look like I won't have any other choice. I'm using one of those 3G dongles at the moment honestly its almost unusable.
    Thanks in advance.

Can we call you on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

If you have issues with a phoneline why don't you go for a fixed wireless broadband so you don't have to get a phone line connected. I use Digiweb Metro Home which works for me and has pretty good download speeds - 8MB and so far its been very reliable, Im sure there is others out there. Oh and Im in meath by the way so I am sure they have something in Cork city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Thanks Kathy, it might be what I end up going with in the end but I've been trying to avoid them due to they quite restrictive data caps. I bought well over 40Gb of steam games in their last sale and I haven't been able to download any of them on my current allowance. But it would definitely be a step up from the current 3G package I'm on. I do a bit of online gaming and such which I've had to give up for now because of my poor bandwidth and ping, what kind of results do you get from speedtest.net on metro?

Hi Rory, at them moment my landlord has gotten on to the block management agency to see if they will arrange a key from the owners of the shop on the ground floor. If they refuse or are unsuccessful is there anything that Magnet can do?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Knasher wrote: »
    Thanks Kathy, it might be what I end up going with in the end but I've been trying to avoid them due to they quite restrictive data caps. I bought well over 40Gb of steam games in their last sale and I haven't been able to download any of them on my current allowance. But it would definitely be a step up from the current 3G package I'm on. I do a bit of online gaming and such which I've had to give up for now because of my poor bandwidth and ping, what kind of results do you get from speedtest.net on metro?

Hi Rory, at them moment my landlord has gotten on to the block management agency to see if they will arrange a key from the owners of the shop on the ground floor. If they refuse or are unsuccessful is there anything that Magnet can do?

Can you PM me your mobile number and a time we can call. I am looking into the details now.

PM sent, thanks Rory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Get onto eircom and see if they can run a new line i.e. through a window ledge or a wall.

If you're using a DSL based service, including Magnet and Smart Telecom's unbundled service, the physical phone line is still provided by eircom.

From what I gather, you can get eircom to install a line and not subscribe to any services i.e. no call plan and no DSL plan. The, you should be able to jump over to Magnet, Smart or whoever you want without any issue.

If you sign up for an eircom package, you may have a 6 or 12 month minimum term!

In my experience, it's easier to get the line installed by eircom dealing with them directly rather than via a 3rd party i.e. Magnet/Smart etc.

Also, get onto upc via twitter @WeAreUPC they might be able to arrange something to get that tap upgraded.

Digiweb Metro's pretty good - it's comparable to a good DSL line, however they have fairly strict download limits so if you're downloading a lot / plan to then you might want to consider another option.

However, for surfing and normal use their service is great.

Their system does require access to the outside of the building, preferably the roof, as they will need to install a small antenna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

If at all possible try and get up and running with Magnet. Been using their 24mb package since February and have been very happy. Also I download a lot along with my girlfriend and our other 2 roomates who both have laptops. Not once have I received any warning about cap or nonsense.

I would be the first to complain if I was unhappy with someones service, but I will be just as quick to praise someone if I am happy with the service.

Thanks for the advice, it would probably be a good deal simpler if I was dealing directly with Eircom, however I was under the impression that if I got Eircom to do any work directly I would be tied into an exclusivity contract with them for 6 months which would cost me 6 months of line rental to buy out of (although to be honest at this stage it would be worth it to have this all sorted).

Advertisement