Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting mats

Options
  • 03-08-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

lads do many of ye use shooting mats when out for a bit of plinking, wanted to go for a shoot today but the place is too wet, what would ye recommened

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

jap gt wrote: »
    lads do many of ye use shooting mats when out for a bit of plinking, wanted to go for a shoot today but the place is too wet, what would ye recommened

A cheap jacket :D:D

I got a piece of underlay for plinking in a gravel pit.

You can buy the world of mats, with places for charts etc.
    Normally I just stay out of puddles, a bit of water never killed anyone.

Most useful place for a mat is on the range, as lying on concrete is a bi*ch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

A cheap jacket :D:D

I got a piece of underlay for plinking in a gravel pit.

You can buy the world of mats, with places for charts etc.
    Normally I just stay out of puddles, a bit of water never killed anyone.

Most useful place for a mat is on the range, as lying on concrete is a bi*ch

yea but lying down in wet grass, after rabbits etc for a long time isnt exactly my idea of having fun

yea but lying down in wet grass, after rabbits etc for a long time isnt exactly my idea of having fun

Get a fancy waterproof jacket and trousers, Lakesen or the like :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0Nu2HMweEDW47W3F87p6wRMktx4LC_au45CJ6xCGBwKYUCYY&t=1&usg=__u3_Hv8rsbuUPBBjefuBzNOKErUE=images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz9aHOSM40hhbCDjXn0PbNIV8_jpQAM4V1Hazb44YWbxPnTD4&t=1&usg=__4ibD01uuWJs6xeE72KUg9acStGw=images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUFdtLpiipsn_zyjked49PwhSkiu7HrAa6iW_Le9Lp-cwjpNE&t=1&usg=__rC31nl_A3Re-bPoQX9jBQVLPMpc=

Any of the above would suit for carrying in the field. Each rolls up and has a carry strap so it sits nicely across your back and doesn't (really) interfer with your normal movements.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNrQlkD-ETkEP3jFwlHSwIJEgUbuoVG-qnb11QKMMG1jINHRY&t=1&usg=__Ce_Zselp4LpTdehO7rxOmSC3zAI=images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdDKkjiW3ULa7u9khsBgi2eKdHO23FOWpnMSu73kPbUhE9RHc&t=1&usg=__4C0RJVE3L0vNs0SWqajF4XFpjac=

These two serve 2 purposes. Carry case for the rifle then open up into a mat. Problem with these is they do not roll up and can be awkward to carry, especially through brush and ditches.

I only use a mat at the range. Usually have a light pair of oil skins and a water proof/resistant jacket. All light gear for warm weather shootin, but provides me with some protection. I'd only wear them if it was drizzling or wet fom the night before (i've heavier gear for minter/wet weather shooting). Honestly though i don't do any "long" term lying and shooting. Its usually down, bipod out, range, fire and up again. Even with the oppotunity for multiple shots i never usually get that wet.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah I have a cheap Gelert inflatable sleeping mat that I use. You will get one from any camping shop, I fing it nice and comfy if you are going to spend any time lying on the ground.

• Advertisement

Where do yee boyo's be shooting, Or how wet does it get in the field?:D:D

Where do yee boyo's be shooting, Or how wet does it get in the field?

Its called rain. You know, the wet stuff that falls (seemingly endlessly) from the sky. You never know when you are going to get hit with it or how long you have to lie down.

As said though if it is raining or there is rain forecast i usually just bring waterproofs. Easier and quicker than a mat. Mat is only for the range where i have time to get setup.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What's that top right hand side mat Ez?

ezridax wrote: »
    Its called rain. You know, the wet stuff that falls (seemingly endlessly) from the sky. You never know when you are going to get hit with it or how long you have to lie down.

As said though if it is raining or there is rain forecast i usually just bring waterproofs. Easier and quicker than a mat. Mat is only for the range where i have time to get setup.

yea i think oil skins will be just as handy and cheaper, and tac is there anything you dont have a smart answer for:rolleyes:

johngalway wrote: »

A bog snorkel:D:D:D

Ezri has a serious kit, like a surgeons table of tools ;)

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »

i think its the one on here, scroll down a bit

http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/accessories.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Correct jap gt.

My Laptop decided to suddenly stop co-operating and wouldn't post my last comment. Pig.:rolleyes:

yea i think oil skins will be just as handy and cheaper, and tac is there anything you dont have a smart answer for:rolleyes:

I'm only smart with people I know who won't mind jap gt!

Ezri has a great set up.
    He shoots in the bog, I said bog snorkling as, often rains on the 600-1200 and going to examine the target can often get one very mudy indeed.

Ezri knows I'm only messing!

I'm prob going to get a pair of these for winter! Waterproof & Warm
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RIVERS-WEST-5-Pocket-Trail-Pant-Realtree-AP-Camo-Sz-2XL_W0QQitemZ160383672553QQihZ006QQcategoryZ159031QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_928
    eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=160383672553

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

A good old army Poncho:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

My rifle slip is fleece lined on one side and waterproof on the other so it makes a great shooting mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Irish army poncho and one of these:
    AIMdragbag.jpg

Best yolk ever IMHO.
    Available from John Dean at AIM Fieldsports - Great to deal with and a gent. Plus the AIM Fieldsports stuff is made to last, and last, and last....
    http://www.aimfieldsports.com/MATCOMBO.html

Advertisement