Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Accommodation while repairs carried out

Options
  • 03-08-2010 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all,

Long time reader first time poster :)

We bought a house just over 15 months ago and recently discovered an under water leak. It basically lead to rising damp and pricey engineers, plumbers and thermal imaging at the request of our insurance company.

So it turns out that the leak was probably going for a few months and the damage is really bad so the house is not really suitable to live in at the moment. We're pending approval from the insurance company to move out while further tests and repairs are being carried out.

My question is do landlords generally allow month by month rental in these circumstances? It could take up to 2 months for the claim to be settled and repairs completed.

The other problem we have is our dog, do landlords allow pets? I haven't rented a property for over 10 years so am a little out of practice.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Completely depends on the landlord, some landlords will allow a month to month tenancy and pets, some wont. It's a matter of ringing and asking them. Landlord's are generally crying out for tenants at the moment so don't be afraid to ring up ones from ads advertising places for a year's lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As Cathoo said, there are lots of landlords looking for tenants at the moment, so it would be worth your while asking for a month-to-month lease from those who have advertised a year long lease. A tenant in the house, even for a month or two, is better than having it lying vacant. That said, however, be prepared to pay a little more than the advertised rent as shorter leases are often a little more expensive. Don't be afraid to haggle, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jd12345

Thanks guys.

The insurance co. haven't actually said they're going to process our claim yet but is the fact that the adjustor told our loss assessor yesterday that she was seeking accommodation allowance for us a positive thing?

I'm so gutted that all this has happened so soon after my fiance and I purchased our first home :( All our savings went on the deposit and we've spent almost €2000 out ourselves since all this started on all the tests, plumber repairs and engineers.

If they don't pay out I don't know what we're going to do

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It really depends where you are renting ,some landlords will just be happy to get you in others will want you to sign a 6 month or yearly lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially strike a deal whereby you agree at the start what you will pay and that you need to give X notice.

If this is a new property, why isn't the builder / developer paying? If its existing, did you get the property surveyed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement