Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filthy Neighbours

• 03-08-2010 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully this is in the right forum

I live in a terraced house and have lived in the same home all my life with the same neighbours. We have never had an actual problem with them. As I'm aware a brother and sister are living in the house + theyre in there 50s with no jobs + living off the dole + have done for about 20 years or so.

About 10 years ago their father passed away and since then the house is gone into an absolute state..it wasn't the best beforehand but now it makes me sick that somebody could live in such conditions.

The house is infested with rats + the woman who lives there feeds them (we've seen it with our own eyes + she actually handles the rats..from the street you can see rats in the windows + eating their curtains and everything). Luckily for us we have cats so the rats have never got far in our home. But whats sick is we can hear them under our floorboards...my dad has sealed every hole he can find but theyre still getting in...we've tried poison, traps, Rentokil..no luck when shes breeding them next door.

They stopped paying bin charges so their bins arent being collected and havent been for about 3 or 4 years now. We've seen the woman dumping their waste in public bins at night. waste is also building up in the back garden and theres flies everywhere.

They no longer have running water as 1 day a pipe burst and it got cut off from the mains and they never let anybody enter the house so it never got repaired. We've seen them buying big litre bottles of water on a weekly basis...so they have no water for a shower/flushing the toilet etc.

The garden is completely overgrown..back and front. They have a huge back garden which you now can barely stand in.

The property itself is in tatters...their walls have large visible cracks..the windows are falling out of the frames...

To top it all off theres a rotting car that neither of them can drive in there front garden..windows have been smashed out of it + it makes the house if possible look even worse + the milkman told me he'd seen a homeless man sleeping in it a few times.

We're at the end of our tether now...we can't speak to them because theyre both pretty mad..we've heard them screaming at each other countless times. We've tried Dublin Corporation, the Gardai, the local TD, The Dept of environmental health + theyve done absolutely nothing!

It is a disgrace that people can get away with living like pigs at others expenses + they're living off the money of hard working people.

If anybody new of any other measures we could take that wouldn't involve confrontation that would be very helpful?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We've tried Dublin Corporation, the Gardai, the local TD, The Dept of environmental health + theyve done absolutely nothing!

I suggest you keep trying these people, particularly the dept of environmental health. There is not much else you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Social workers? They may be a little mentally dysfunctional....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hopefully this is in the right forum

I live in a terraced house and have lived in the same home all my life with the same neighbours. We have never had an actual problem with them. As I'm aware a brother and sister are living in the house + theyre in there 50s with no jobs + living off the dole + have done for about 20 years or so.

About 10 years ago their father passed away and since then the house is gone into an absolute state..it wasn't the best beforehand but now it makes me sick that somebody could live in such conditions.

The house is infested with rats + the woman who lives there feeds them (we've seen it with our own eyes + she actually handles the rats..from the street you can see rats in the windows + eating their curtains and everything). Luckily for us we have cats so the rats have never got far in our home. But whats sick is we can hear them under our floorboards...my dad has sealed every hole he can find but theyre still getting in...we've tried poison, traps, Rentokil..no luck when shes breeding them next door.

They stopped paying bin charges so their bins arent being collected and havent been for about 3 or 4 years now. We've seen the woman dumping their waste in public bins at night. waste is also building up in the back garden and theres flies everywhere.

They no longer have running water as 1 day a pipe burst and it got cut off from the mains and they never let anybody enter the house so it never got repaired. We've seen them buying big litre bottles of water on a weekly basis...so they have no water for a shower/flushing the toilet etc.

The garden is completely overgrown..back and front. They have a huge back garden which you now can barely stand in.

The property itself is in tatters...their walls have large visible cracks..the windows are falling out of the frames...

To top it all off theres a rotting car that neither of them can drive in there front garden..windows have been smashed out of it + it makes the house if possible look even worse + the milkman told me he'd seen a homeless man sleeping in it a few times.

We're at the end of our tether now...we can't speak to them because theyre both pretty mad..we've heard them screaming at each other countless times. We've tried Dublin Corporation, the Gardai, the local TD, The Dept of environmental health + theyve done absolutely nothing!

It is a disgrace that people can get away with living like pigs at others expenses + they're living off the money of hard working people.

If anybody new of any other measures we could take that wouldn't involve confrontation that would be very helpful?
    complain the environmental dept and the corporation to the ombudsman. Find out who is the area medical officer or Senior Area Medical Officer SAMO in the HSE and write a regd letter to him her.Copy it to the CEO of the HSE..
    Contact the environmental protection agency and ask if they have any role. And don't waste your time with TD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Just reading that is making my skin crawl.

The rats are a massive health problem that could spread to other houses in the area for starters, whatever about the rest of the problems.That needs to be seriously highlighted.

HSE.Dept of environment.Maybe the county council. And if you can get your neighbours with you, the TD. Make yourself an absolute thorn in their side, email every day, phone every day. Harass them, it's unfortunately the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

That is the most minging thing I've ever read. You poor unfortunate things, how horrific. Surely the HSE must be able to do something? You're going to have to literally hound the authorities, it's unacceptable that you're having to put up with this:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Take pictures and send copies in the HSE and bring them with you to your local socail workers and the enviromental health section of your country council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Dept of health have to do something-the fact that they're putting your family's health at risk by living the way they do.As others said,hound them,don't let up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

My grandmother had a similar experience with her neighbours some years ago. She initially tried your route - complaining to the authorities - but as a single older person, they took no notice of her.

She finally got somewhere when she took the time to call in to all of the other properties adjoining and overlooking the property in question (neighbours on the other side, across the road, directly behind, plus all those directly adjacent to these). She gave them the numbers of the relevant authorities and asked them all to make contact. Faced with complaints from 8 or 9 extended families, the council came and cleaned up the house in question, even though ti was a private house.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭katie99

There are two avenues open to you.

Contact the environmental health section of the City Council. Take photos of everything you have described here.
    This is a serious health issue and threat to all people living on that street.
    So the corpo has to deal with it.

The HSE should also be contacted as rats pose a serious health risk.

Go to the local newspaper and show them the photos. A bit of public exposure will shift the powers that be into action.
    Make a formal written complaint to the above mentioned bodies.

Advertisement