Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush- an opportunity

Options
  • 03-08-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Ok so we have the whole Eirgrid debate and its galvanised local interest in the community and the environment here which are all good things in my book. But I like to move forward by starting a new thread concerning Rush itself and how you would like to use the monies from Eirgrid for the area of Rush itself. Now I have heard the figure of 90,000 euros mentioned and that FCC will be handling the money. So I am asking the question what would you like to see FCC use the money for that benefits Rush and the community?

Now this is a once off opportunity so when its gone its gone so can we avoid any suggests to repair roads and paths or provide more speed ramps or street lights as in my view thats the normal day to day expenditure that FCC should be doing anyway for Rush and its people.

So a little more thinking needed, now your idea might cost more than 90,000 euros but you may be surprised with what funding you can get with the right idea. I hope then for one of the more technically minded boarders here to volunteer to set up a poll on here and perhaps our fellow boarder the councillor could bring the result and other popular ideas to the attention of his fellow councillors. This is open to anyone that has a good idea even if your a Goat from Skerries:), i don't put geography in the way of a good idea! Now to start it off I have three ideas

1. Millbank Mill renovation- already a symbol of Rush N.S, FCC renovated the mill a number of years ago from a derelict building to a shell but further renovation to the level of Skerries Mills.
    2. Allotments- North East Fingal is the homeland of market gardening in Ireland and Rush is at the heart. In past years the Rush people would grow for market in there large back gardens. Establish public allotments garden near the town.
    3. Foot and cycle bridge from Rogerstown to Portrane- part of the coastal walk of dublin was to walk along the railway line, this is a much safer and picturesque option for locals and tourists alike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

1) That cycle walk bridge is a great idea. I suggested something similar but it was along the lines of a Fingal coastal walk.

2) I would support the allotments great idea and with the history Rush has in Market gardening it would be great. Perhaps an old horse draw plough mounted on way into Rush. We need a few reminders of what it was like here not that long ago. I remember James Harford using a horse about 20 years ago and Pat Flynn from Dempseys Corner likewise.

3) The mill at junction of Spout Rd and Beau hill would be on my list. While its privatley owned it would be fantastic to see it working again and could be a good tourist attraction.

4) Would like to see some native trees planted with a little placque beside them. Would also like to see the woods at St. Catherines just inside the wall at Kings gap cleaned and maintained for families to enjoy.

And dare I say it some speed ramps on Lower Main Street,
    BTY There are 13 ramps on Channel Rd not 8!!

The planting of native trees could be done with the local community and also a nice idea would be some road signs made out of old (safe) slashooks. Saw these in Rathbarry near Roscarberry Co. Cork a few years ago and they were really nice. If I can find a print I will post one. We have been so neglected €900,000 would help us a do a bit more;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would be all up for the money to be used on asthtics. basically if you build it they will come. we could use the money for tourism.

fancy signs. flowers . spruce up the harbour.

bring the tourists in and make fingal realise that there are people in rush and there are people who like visiting rush.

(( give me time to thing about it though i will come up with some good examples)

Martron wrote: »
    i would be all up for the money to be used on asthtics. basically if you build it they will come. we could use the money for tourism.

fancy signs. flowers . spruce up the harbour.

bring the tourists in and make fingal realise that there are people in rush and there are people who like visiting rush.

(( give me time to thing about it though i will come up with some good examples)

Go on Ya boy Ya!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Great idea for a thread, and the cycle/walk bridge is an excellent one, even if it could be built close to the existing railway line, as the structure would be there to work off.

I think looking at getting some of the electrical wires around main street down into the ground would be an idea, although that might be a bit much in terms of the size of the project. But they are kind of ugly.

Allotments is an excellent idea. There's no shortage of land.

A few benches around the green area in front of the gates across from the Church (can't remember what it's called, sorry) and maybe in the Church grounds for people to sit on after Mass, walking etc. Put them in full view of the road, and the garda station to avoid anti-social activity.

Playground. There's a lot of green space to develop a great playground in one of a number of locations around the town.Preferably somewhere that's easily accessible to families, maybe with a cycle lane/marked walking route to it. Not somewhere isolated, which would create a perfect area for groups of teenagers etc to hang out.

For the teenagers - how about a small skate park or something, like they have in Swords? Grafitti artists eat your heart out, and the one is Swords is always busy with kids of all ages, it looks like it's a complete success.

I'll be back later - my brain is being overloaded at the moment with ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aledoux

Rush is definitely missing things for the kids and teenagers for sure. I agree a walk from Rush to Portrane would be great but kids really have nothing in Rush. You see them hanging around the church, the Park and other Park but nothing to keep them fit like as stated above a skate Park or Basketball court or tennis courts or BMX track

Allotments, I agree would be a great idea but 90k wont give us much land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

aledoux wrote: »
    Rush is definitely missing things for the kids and teenagers for sure. I agree a walk from Rush to Portrane would be great but kids really have nothing in Rush. You see them hanging around the church, the Park and other Park but nothing to keep them fit like as stated above a skate Park or Basketball court or tennis courts or BMX track

Boxing club in Rush, Soccer, GAA and there is more sports stuff so there is more than nothing in fairness, but it would be good to have something extra for them.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i agree there is plenty of things for kids. there is a playground near lambay view. and there is plenty of playing space for kids to play football or what ever. i think people have gone mad with having to provide entertainment for kids.

all i had wehn i was a kid was a bike and a football where a game of squares could last for a whole day.

i think the bridge although is a good idea. surely it will take people away from rush ...... ha ha.

i think increase the profile. i said already about the signs . but i think rush needs a marketting boost. if you cant make it fake it. market rush as the new malahide of dublin. steeped in history, an oasis of calm in the capital county. Laid back and easy going. spruce up the harbour, make it trendy coffee shops, flower baskets, invest in the chamber of commerce. Have a weekly farmers market at the gates of the park, selling local produce. ( similar to what they are doing in point village. ) have entertainment on the weekends, outdoor preformances. ( i am sure the local business would top up the 90 k if they though you could increase the volume into rush) boat trips to the local islands?

use the empty shops as galleries for art , photography........

do things to make rush stand out as the diamond in the rough..... ( not say lusk or loughshinney is rough :0)

Maybe i am talking crazy but there is no reason rush cant be a desirable place to visit let alone live.

i would love the idea of allotments too.

ramblin over..... for the time being

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JIZ

aledoux wrote: »

Your Not buying the land, the people would pay a yearly fee for there allotment. Plenty of empty land in Rush, im sure some of the land owners would be more than happy with the rent. Just need to insure Parking, water etc etc.
    I have one in the Naul. 10th of an acre for €320 a year. 63 in total.
    Great idea for Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aledoux

Ok when I said nothing in Rush I meant nothing Free. All the sports stated needs a license or fee. I know families that can only put food on the kids plate so paying money for their kid to do sports is not a priority. Basketball court, tennis court, skate parks, cross country cycle tracks are free activity that anybody can enjoy at anytime of the day and whenever they want.

Allotments I agree with those but I don't think the money from Eirgrid should be used for that as it would benefit only certain people. The land wouldn't need to be bought I know so why are farmers not doing that already ?

Making Rush Main Street and Harbour area more touristy would be great. I like the idea of having galleries in the not used buildings.

I heard Skerries was talking about making a nice cycling network around skerries and more. Could we team up and maybe link theirs with a cycle path in Rush which would link Rush to Skerries by bike. And also maybe around the Rush-Portrane estuary making a cycle-walk path all the way (I did it over the weekend but got stuck at the Lusk super-dump).

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Building a walkway across the Rogerstown estuary along the railway line is a great idea, similar to the plans for Malahide. The only caveat would be the fact that both Broadmeadow & Rogerstown Estuaries are designate Special Areas of Conservation (SAC) which have very strict guidelines about building anything on or near them. Cost is also prohibitive as (in the case of Malahide at least) Irish Rail engineers have said that any structure could not be "bolted on" to the existing bridges and would have to stand alone, thus adding considerable cost.

The "free" to use community facilitates as mentioned would be great for any community. I assume someone has emailed their local Councillors with these suggestions?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Building a walkway across the Rogerstown estuary along the railway line is a great idea, similar to the plans for Malahide. The only caveat would be the fact that both Broadmeadow & Rogerstown Estuaries are designate Special Areas of Conservation (SAC) which have very strict guidelines about building anything on or near them. Cost is also prohibitive as (in the case of Malahide at least) Irish Rail engineers have said that any structure could not be "bolted on" to the existing bridges and would have to stand alone, thus adding considerable cost.

We were looking for popular ideas before proposing any ideas to councillors, sometimes things get lost in translation and the least popular get selected. So we are collecting ideas, when everyone is happy that enough ideas have been proposed we will conduct a poll of the most popular from the posts. With the wonders of technology we can email the link for this debate to the local councillors and they can read peoples proposals and the thinking behind each proposal. That way its a more focused democratic approach to over worked councillors. Dont you agree that would be more efficient approach?

It always struck me as kind of "no brain" to have a dump located in an SAC even if the dump was in existence before the area was declared a SAC. At least you would have the thought the council would have closed it down before it looked like Mordor in the distance from Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Corsendonk wrote: »
    We were looking for popular ideas before proposing any ideas to councillors, sometimes things get lost in translation and the least popular get selected. So we are collecting ideas, when everyone is happy that enough ideas have been proposed we will conduct a poll of the most popular from the posts. With the wonders of technology we can email the link for this debate to the local councillors and they can read peoples proposals and the thinking behind each proposal. That way its a more focused democratic approach to over worked councillors. Dont you agree that would be more efficient approach?

It always struck me as kind of "no brain" to have a dump located in an SAC even if the dump was in existence before the area was declared a SAC. At least you would have the thought the council would have closed it down before it looked like Mordor in the distance from Rush.

Certainly very considerate of you to collate the ideas and I'm sure your local Councillors will appreciate it, I know I would.

SAC is designated by Europe via Department of the Environment so Fingal have little say on it but yes, it doesn't make a lot of sense to designate it at this point. I think once the entire site is capped, grassed and cultivated the overall appearance will improve. Putting a marina in it isn't the best idea either, in my opinion. (See Fingal Development Plan)

Great this is being discussed.

I noticed coming into Lusk at the roundabout there is a cast of a Raven and Skerries has a few also. Were these put up by Fingal or by tidy towns?

I would like to see a monument or 2 to the history of the town, farming and fishing, which could be an old horse drawn plough with a horse and put up on the green accross from the church or out the Whitestown Rd. I have seen a few boats around the country filled with flowers. There is the piece of open space at the slip, just down from the harbour bar wwhich has an old pump on it.

I am sure a tennis court could be built at the end of the mill bank nearest to Church car park or on the space at Rogerstown which is right mess at the moment.

I brought this up before but I would like to see a Fingal coastal walk from Howth to Balbriggan. The cost would be substantial but it would be a great tourist attraction for all Fingal. Paths would only be needed in some areas as there are a good few roads close to the beach to miss out other areas.

While Rogerstown estuary is an S.A.C Plans are well advanced for new Marina at Rogerstown Estuary and if the will was there a foot bridge to run along side the railway bridge would be a great attraction. The marina will be a great boost to the area so Rogerstown estuary needs to be accesible by foot all the time. With wildlife making a comeback this would also draw in a lot of enviromental tourists and could be a flagship project for Fingal C.C. Perhaps in time the old tip will become some kind of park or reserve????

ME POOR MIND IS RUNNING WILD:):)

LeoB wrote: »
    Great this is being discussed.

I noticed coming into Lusk at the roundabout there is a cast of a Raven and Skerries has a few also. Were these put up by Fingal or by tidy towns?

I would like to see a monument or 2 to the history of the town, farming and fishing, which could be an old horse drawn plough with a horse and put up on the green accross from the church or out the Whitestown Rd. I have seen a few boats around the country filled with flowers. There is the piece of open space at the slip, just down from the harbour bar wwhich has an old pump on it.

I am sure a tennis court could be built at the end of the mill bank nearest to Church car park or on the space at Rogerstown which is right mess at the moment.

I brought this up before but I would like to see a Fingal coastal walk from Howth to Balbriggan. The cost would be substantial but it would be a great tourist attraction for all Fingal. Paths would only be needed in some areas as there are a good few roads close to the beach to miss out other areas.

While Rogerstown estuary is an S.A.C Plans are well advanced for new Marina at Rogerstown Estuary and if the will was there a foot bridge to run along side the railway bridge would be a great attraction. The marina will be a great boost to the area so Rogerstown estuary needs to be accesible by foot all the time. With wildlife making a comeback this would also draw in a lot of enviromental tourists and could be a flagship project for Fingal C.C. Perhaps in time the old tip will become some kind of park or reserve????

ME POOR MIND IS RUNNING WILD:):)
    agreed

JIZ wrote: »
    agreed

wow!;) So maybe would be kind enough to add a suggestion to what has been mentioned

wow!;) So maybe would be kind enough to add a suggestion to what has been mentioned
    lol...yep understand.

I would also love to see a coastal walk or cycle bridge put up.
    Your idea of a Tennis court is a great idea, just not to sure of the location you recommended. I would love to see something done with Kenure woods, maybe a kids playground, something along the lines of Ardgillan castle, but would it be destroyed by Teenagers at night?

Empty boats filled with flowers is a great idea to make the town look more attractive.

I would like to give a big thank you to Rush community council who have painted the derilict houses on the main street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I would like to give a big thank you to Rush community council who have painted the derilict houses on the main street.

Yes very good work by the town council but surely there must be some civil requirement for the owners of these properties to maintain there own properties. The particular offending area is across from the strand bar which is in full sight of all traffic that passes through the town. These properties have been boarded up even before the dreaded NAMA came about. Perhaps someone knows the rules with derelict properties and can clarify this. If you look at the location on google maps you see quite a substantial green space behind the properties with poor access that would be improved if any of the properties had to be knocked down for health and safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As long as the buildings are structurally sound then I don't think the council takes action.

lol...yep understand.

I would also love to see a coastal walk or cycle bridge put up.
    Your idea of a Tennis court is a great idea, just not to sure of the location you recommended. I would love to see something done with Kenure woods, maybe a kids playground, something along the lines of Ardgillan castle, but would it be destroyed by Teenagers at night?

Empty boats filled with flowers is a great idea to make the town look more attractive.

Agree I think the Community Council have done a good job and fair play to the people who done the work and the local business people who paid for it.

Having looked at tracks and trails on R.T.E 1 last night the coastal walk or cycleway I would put top of my list. Both Kenure woods and St. Catherines wooods should be developed. Both should have marked nature trails which would be good for all sections of the community. Now keeping them vandal free is another issue!!!

Would worry about a playground unless it can be lock ed up at night. The boat could be put at Eurospar or on the Millbank. A site for a tennis court? Not sure where would be best but accross from Strand Bar where there are a number of houses derilict has plenty of adjoining ground and could house a tennis court and Basketball Court. There is also a Tennis court in the grounds of the Nun's residence on Convent lane, could a deal of some sort be done there?

Hill Billy wrote: »
    As long as the buildings are structurally sound then I don't think the council takes action.

Funny Enough i belive all these houses are going into NAMA. They would have been protected buildings and would not have been able to be knocked down if developed.. Strangely they have all been set fire to at least once, thus making them structurally unsound....a developers dream. Just a thought.

If they could be knocked down and the street widened and more onstreet parking put in . it would make the town a dream........but that's it ...only a dream.:(

• Advertisement

Funny Enough i belive all these houses are going into NAMA. They would have been protected buildings and would not have been able to be knocked down if developed.. Strangely they have all been set fire to at least once, thus making them structurally unsound....a developers dream. Just a thought.

If they could be knocked down and the street widened and more onstreet parking put in . it would make the town a dream........but that's it ...only a dream.:(

Maybe not a dream at all, did you have a vision last night or toooooo much wine??:)

I heard before there was plans for some off street parking along there. Not sure if they are protected building in the sence of structurally important buildings or of historical value except the old post office? There is quite a bit og ground behind them building and it would be interesting to see if the community council could come up with a plan for them.

Not sure of exact ownership;) but would be suprised if they were going into NAMA. But IF they were would this be an oppertunity for F.C.C and Rush C.C. to make aa bid to hhave some of the land zoned for recreational use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Probably the easiest thing to do with both a skate park and a playground, is to put them in a wide open space, in full view of roads and houses.Teenagers then tend to be less inclined to congregate around them, as they have an audience..

I didn't really mean that the railway line across the estuary be used as part of a structure, but I'd question if it can't be used to facilitate some of the work. It would be a big job though, much bigger than the budget we would have.

I still think skate park and/or a big playground, combined with flowers/benches would be good. The raven at Lusk roundabout was put there by the tidy towns committee in Lusk. Cycle/walk tracks could definitely be developed through St Catherine's/Kenure.

We can make the town look prettier with flowers etc but it would also be nice to do something with some of the money that people who live here could actually use and benefit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Maybe not a dream at all, did you have a vision last night or toooooo much wine??:)

I heard before there was plans for some off street parking along there. Not sure if they are protected building in the sence of structurally important buildings or of historical value except the old post office? There is quite a bit og ground behind them building and it would be interesting to see if the community council could come up with a plan for them.

Not sure of exact ownership;) but would be suprised if they were going into NAMA. But IF they were would this be an oppertunity for F.C.C and Rush C.C. to make aa bid to hhave some of the land zoned for recreational use?

I believe (things could have changed) that most of those buildings were purchased by an individual, and possibly developer, and there was talk about a 'mall' type development being proposed with off-street/under-ground parking, similar to what is in Swords where McDonalds is. I also think some of the buildings might be protected, alright. Prime development land in the center of a town, rail links, etc., can't see it going to NAMA?

I would love to see something done with Kenure woods, maybe a kids playground, something along the lines of Ardgillan castle, but would it be destroyed by Teenagers at night?
    dan_d wrote: »
    Probably the easiest thing to do with both a skate park and a playground, is to put them in a wide open space, in full view of roads and houses.Teenagers then tend to be less inclined to congregate around them, as they have an audience..

+1

Perhaps consider putting the playground on the grass area outside the woods in full view of everyone passing and the police station. Or alternatively on the flat area of the Millbank. Or use both, one for playground, and one for skate park.

Coastal walk - I would also be in favour of, I would like to see the North and South beaches linked, and would love to be able to walk from Rush Sailing Club to Loughshinny harbour.

Outdoor Basketball Courts - erect 1-2 basketball courts in the Church carpark for when not in use. Should require minimal investment, apart from the backboard/hoops, and some ground markings. Many kids seem to already play football there, so this could be another alternative, with minimal impact on parking space? If combined with a skate park / playgroud at the Millbank/Woods, it would become a nice kid friendly zone in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kickstart

Wow, love this thread..never let a little thing like money get in the way of new ideas I say!! Love the idea of renovating the Old Mill out at Spout Rd in particular and the Coastal Walk too.

While not everyones idea of a good investment, I do think we need to get those wires on main street underground asap along with new 'old' style street lighting..I think this could make a huge difference to the main street appearance...look at what a lick of paint and hanging baskets has achieved already. Start from the centre and work out from there I say.

A playground and tennis/basketball courts down at the green area in Rogerstown would be great too. Its land just sitting there wasted if you ask me.

Now if they really had money to throw around (:rolleyes:) purchase the land at either Drummanagh/Martello Tower for the new 'Red Island' or else at Knockdromin House (along with 29 acres) on the Lusk Rd which is currently up for sale...great views down to Rogerstown Estuary i imagine. Its times like these that a bit of forward planning and seeing beyond the budget could realise huge potential for the area...yes they might not have the money to develop all in one go but rome wasnt built in a day. The Knockdromin House site could also benefit Lusk residents.

LeoB love the ideas re old style signs, the plough, boats full of flowers etc Definitely something for the Tidy Towns to add to their list. Was in west cork recently and every town there looks just amazing and they all have such pride in their own town. This is what we need to work at if our litter problem is anything to go by....it doesnt cost anything to use a bin or even worse bring it home shock horror! Also, the junction of Old Rd & Whitestown Rd and front of Kenure Gates should be planted (again) & used to its potential as they could be focal points to the entrance of the town. Nothing like a first impression. By the way, anyone know what happened to the chains/railings that used to be around the green area at the front of Kenure gates years back?? Never understood why they were taken away... I think they should also be re-instated.

Thats it for the moment, typing as I was thinking so probably a bit of a ramble, sorry!

Thats a good reply Kickstart.
    The chains appeared to have vanished like a lot of stone. My info on this is the chains were lost or misplaced in another town. But they were apparently found. Dont know the current status.

I parked in Loughshinny last night and walked to Drumannagh with kids but we turned back as youth were on top of the Martello Throwing stuff off it. Its a grand walk on a nice evening. I think that field is a protected site, are they trying to link it to Lambay? There were archioligists digging there a few years ago and they got evidance of an early settlement of some sort.

The green area in Rogerstown is a good spot for development but more for a picnic area with some tables, its not a heavily populated area, all the building was done at the other end of town. Church carpark is a good spot for Basketball or tennis. The entrance to Kenure woods Im not sure I would put a playground there but if you look across from the church there is a raised area with some trees that I am sure could be developed.

The purchase of Knockdrummin House is a great Idea, if not even all the place but say 15 acres. Not only local residents but Birdwatch Ireland I am sure would support this. Maybe Mr. Gannon would look favourably at some kind of land swap deal. He is quite a generous man I believe.

I walked to Rogerstown this evening and the place is generally a bit brighter. It will take a lot of time for Rush to catch up but lets be positive and look forward to a brighter future for everyone.

eddiem74 wrote: »
    +1

Perhaps consider putting the playground on the grass area outside the woods in full view of everyone passing and the police station. Or alternatively on the flat area of the Millbank. Or use both, one for playground, and one for skate park.

What about down across the road from the harbour bar. This green space is a terrible waste.

What about down across the road from the harbour bar. This green space is a terrible waste.

Agree, another location which is ready for something to be installed there i.e. playground, etc. You could even add some of those telescopes to look out to sea, and up the beach/coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Some nice ideas there folks.

Link the North and South Beaches
    The creation of a proper walking/cycling route to link up the North Beach and the South Beach is to my mind the project that would provide the best amenity for Rush given the relatively small amount of cash available.

There is no doubt about it but that would provide locals and visitors alike with a pleasurable route that would provide stunning vistas all the way around.

Even if the route was a type of Boardwalk at certain points (quick to construct and cheaper than tarmac) particularly at the far side of the Martello Tower etc it would provide spectacular views of Lambay and south down the coast to Howth.:)

Rush deserves such an amenity, I think.

Advertisement