Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush- an opportunity

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

LeoB wrote: »
    I parked in Loughshinny last night and walked to Drumannagh with kids but we turned back as youth were on top of the Martello Throwing stuff off it. Its a grand walk on a nice evening. I think that field is a protected site, are they trying to link it to Lambay? There were archioligists digging there a few years ago and they got evidance of an early settlement of some sort.

I found the below info about Drumannagh online from 2003 so it may be resolved or not but either way any developments here will be limited until the area is further investigated by the state.

"Drumanagh Promontory Fort is a Recorded Monument in private ownership and is protected under the Section 12 of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act, l994. It is further protected by a Preservation Order which was placed on it in 1977. So far, no excavations have taken place, however a number of artefacts dating to Roman times were found in the past. The tower is a Martello Tower, and dates to the early nineteenth century, not Roman times. I have spoken with a member of the Irish Museum about the artefacts found at the site. As it stands they have a large collection of artefacts and they are not sure what artefacts come from Drumanagh, and what artefacts come from other sites. As a result of legal proceedings taken out by the owner of the property, the Museum has been instructed by their legal team not to make any determinations as to the provenance of any of the artefacts in order to avoid being in contempt of court (the legal action is between the property owner and the finder along with the Office of Public works, not the Museum). Until the legalities have been sorted, there is no way to tell what artefacts have been found there, so there is no way to guess what the function of Drumanagh was in the Iron Age."

The skater park is a great idea and would have to be positioned somewhere public but away from housing as in Swords or it becomes another nice idea but "not in my back garden please". The tennis court idea for Rush was raised before by a previous councillor from Rush who sadly died before he could realise it, I think the location then talked about was the green area on the way into the Hayestown estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Some nice ideas there folks.

Link the North and South Beaches
    The creation of a proper walking/cycling route to link up the North Beach and the South Beach is to my mind the project that would provide the best amenity for Rush given the relatively small amount of cash available.

There is no doubt about it but that would provide locals and visitors alike with a pleasurable route that would provide stunning vistas all the way around.

Even if the route was a type of Boardwalk at certain points (quick to construct and cheaper than tarmac) particularly at the far side of the Martello Tower etc it would provide spectacular views of Lambay and south down the coast to Howth.:)

Rush deserves such an amenity, I think.

You think right, I think:)!!! Great Idea.

With all the proposals going on here we will direct a few members of the community this way, after I change my name.

Kickstart wrote: »
    By the way, anyone know what happened to the chains/railings that used to be around the green area at the front of Kenure gates years back?? Never understood why they were taken away... I think they should also be re-instated.

I was poking around the national photo database and came across the below Eason photo from 1900-1940. Notice what you can see on the left handside of the photo.:) Seems those chains were there awhile

123609.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kickstart

Thanks for pic Corsendonk. Will have to track them down:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JIZ

Thanks for pic Corsendonk. Will have to track them down:).
    There down the bottom of main street around the green space that the ancor from the John Tayluer is on, and have been for years.:)

I belive they where brought to Skerries to be used somewhere, but the Rush residents went mad , and so where brought back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thedosiletigh

I think it would be a great idea to put a walk/cycle way from rogerstown to portrane, i'd say it would bring many visitors to rush. And would also give us locals an opportunity to view our own town from a different perspective, fabulous idea. I think cleaning up st catherines woods is a big no no, personally i would look at it as throwing the money down into an abyss as no matter how much money or how clean it could be clean up, you would never get rid of the rats in there(must be thousands). I was in tothenham in london and a group of young adults/ teenagers built there own skate park on a disused plot of land beside a library which was given to them by the council, i think this would be a great idea instead of costing hundreds of thousands(im guessing at the figure) like the one in swords or other locations around ireland, why don't the council donate a patch of land and lets say ten thousand euro as i reckon that would be enough and the kids/young adults would get a skate park they designed and built, everyones a winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jeffs/xerosun

Personally, I would love to see improvements in Rush Village. Each time I visit skerries it reminds me of what efforts our community should be making. They seem to know what they're doing, and they're doing it very well.
    Indeed a skate park and playground would be great, but seriously...have you seen the state of the "New" one we had installed opposite Kenure House??
    It's in a bad way, even the Rubber Flooring has been ripped up by mindless idiots who might I ad are being allowed to hang around there at night. Same goes for the Park opposite the Gardai Station, cans, broken bottles, fires set alight on the bridge. There is no regular patrol of any of these "Asbo Hotspots" by the local Gardai, whom never seem to be at the Rush station, so where the hell are they?? What are they doing??
    I don't think having a playground opposite the Harbour pub is a good idea. I know 1st hand what happens when the sun comes out and these activities are mixed, i.e Pub and playground. The parents think it's a great place to bring their drinks from the pub and use it as their own private "Beer Garden". Sorry, but it's true. Also the poor kids can't go home when they're bored because the parents are having a ball, drinking and watching whatever sport is on the Pub TV.
    Anyway, back to the main point. Derelict boats filled with flowers? Nice in the summer of course, I have seen plenty of them...but what of winter?
    Telescopes on the sea front is a nice idea, but they'd need to be very cheap or even free to use. Most of those are 50c for 3min. I'd want a lot longer for my money. It's gonna take a lot more to convince me that anything is going to change in Rush. On a gloomy, rainy day, the place looks awful and just as grey as the skies. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Personally, I would love to see improvements in Rush Village. Each time I visit skerries it reminds me of what efforts our community should be making. They seem to know what they're doing, and they're doing it very well.
    Indeed a skate park and playground would be great, but seriously...have you seen the state of the "New" one we had installed opposite Kenure House??
    It's in a bad way, even the Rubber Flooring has been ripped up by mindless idiots who might I ad are being allowed to hang around there at night. Same goes for the Park opposite the Gardai Station, cans, broken bottles, fires set alight on the bridge. There is no regular patrol of any of these "Asbo Hotspots" by the local Gardai, whom never seem to be at the Rush station, so where the hell are they?? What are they doing??
    I don't think having a playground opposite the Harbour pub is a good idea. I know 1st hand what happens when the sun comes out and these activities are mixed, i.e Pub and playground. The parents think it's a great place to bring their drinks from the pub and use it as their own private "Beer Garden". Sorry, but it's true. Also the poor kids can't go home when they're bored because the parents are having a ball, drinking and watching whatever sport is on the Pub TV.
    Anyway, back to the main point. Derelict boats filled with flowers? Nice in the summer of course, I have seen plenty of them...but what of winter?
    Telescopes on the sea front is a nice idea, but they'd need to be very cheap or even free to use. Most of those are 50c for 3min. I'd want a lot longer for my money. It's gonna take a lot more to convince me that anything is going to change in Rush. On a gloomy, rainy day, the place looks awful and just as grey as the skies. Depressing.

So do you have any suggestions as to what the €90k could be used for then? The intent of this thread was to gather some initial suggestions whatever they might be, and then later have another thread/poll to help rank/rate those ideas.

Skerries does look well and a lot of Skerries people have worked hard to have it looking so well. Fair play to them. Rush on the other hand has been snubbed for years by Dublin C.C and Then Fingal C.C.

On a positive note there are good things going on around Rush at the moment and some gret work has been done by Community Council and local business and residents to give the town a facelift and so far so good.

Derilicect boats:confused: Just an idea.
    The suggestion was flowers would be planted in them and when the flowers are not in full bloom some shrubs could be used. Old name plates made from pieces of farm machinery or a farm tool. Our connection with both the land and sea are important.
    I agree the woods opposite Garda station are a problem just as every other town in Fingal and further afield have problems.

Do you have a solution or any suggestions which the community council might pick up on?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yes very good work by the town council but surely there must be some civil requirement for the owners of these properties to maintain there own properties. The particular offending area is across from the strand bar which is in full sight of all traffic that passes through the town. These properties have been boarded up even before the dreaded NAMA came about. Perhaps someone knows the rules with derelict properties and can clarify this. If you look at the location on google maps you see quite a substantial green space behind the properties with poor access that would be improved if any of the properties had to be knocked down for health and safety reasons.

As far as I am aware this is a matter that should be dealt with by the derelict sites section of FCC under their bye laws. This is something that the local councillors could enquire about maybe AF could find out the relevent information from FCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

I agree with Leo B the boats with flowers at different locations around the town would be nice i.e one on the from lusk, skerries and at the harbour perhaps town signs at the ones on the main roads into the town.

The coastal walk is a good idea as well and to attract people to the town we could perhaps produce some maps that would include the history of different point along the walk i.e. at this point to smullgers landed or even this is the point were eirgird have their interconnector ( sorry last should be taken tongue in cheek).

Ok, is it time to do a poll? Beasty how did skerries finance there allotments? I noticed from your link fcc helped with the layout. Or does anyone have anymore ideas?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty how did skerries finance there allotments? I noticed from your link fcc helped with the layout.
    I don't know how this was financed. Which link are you referring to? Given this is my first post in this thread I presume you're referring to something I posted in another thread:)

Sorry it was a link on the skerries cycle iniative which led to the sustainable Skerries link. FCC seems to have some involvement in the layout of the plots.

http://www.skerriesca.com/?q=cycling

http://sustainableskerries.wordpress.com/

Thought I would resurest this thread.

Reading back some great ideas put forward. So what has changed in the mean time?

For one I think the town does look a lot better thanks to Kickstart and her many helpers in Rush Tidy Towns, great job done.
    There is a little buzz about the place at the moment and despite the gloom and doom we hear so much about quite a few people are upbeat at the moment. The Library is a great asset to the town and despite some bad feelings the Eirgrid saga has brought people together and Rush is a much better place to live.

While I would like to see the coastal walk cycle track built I think one of the best proposals in the thread is for the path and boardwalk to link North and South beach. Brillant idea. This would be magnificant for Rush, would not coast a fortune and would be a great amenity.

Basketball nets in Church car park, less than €1,000.

Seeing as how there is meeting in St Josephs next week with the community policing the scandle of the mess Kenure woods is in needs to be seriously tackled. The woods has the potential to be a jewel in the crown of Rush. I heard a very good proposal to put a running track around it and a lot more lights.

While some people dont like big brother watching I for one have nothing to hide and would be fully in favour of C.C.T.V being installed in all anti-social hot spots around Rush, not that there are many I hasten to add.

Rush is a great place to live and its time we realised that, we have good schools, clubs and people.We have a lot going for us.

Any chance we can have a poll.
    Walk way
    Tennis courts/ basketball court
    Cycle track
    Park benchs as suggested earlier around Church and at Kenure woods
    Allotments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 katyt

When is the meeting in Saint Josephs next week? It might be an idea to let the folk living round the woods know about this.

katyt wrote: »
    When is the meeting in Saint Josephs next week? It might be an idea to let the folk living round the woods know about this.

Here are the details of the meeting next week

321259_258724670839686_115079605204194_879282_617928159_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kickstart

Walkway would get my vote. Note sure how realistic it is though in these cash strapped times.

Walkway would get my vote. Note sure how realistic it is though in these cash strapped times.

A lot of the walkway is already there. There are a few spots where work would need to be done, between the North and South beach to make it passable especially at high tide.

There is a path woven all along the cliffs from the end of North beach to Drummanagh but it can be slippy. However a 3ft path of loose stone would not be a bankbreaker. The same narrow path could then be extended to Loughshinny and on to Skerries. Judging by the amount of people who already walk the cliffs this would be a good investment and encourage more people to walk the Rush Loughshinny loop. The Drummanagh itself a protected site can easily be got around by keeping the path on perimeter of the land.

A walk like this could boost the Millenium hiostorical walk that is already there around Loughshinny and I am sure the historical society could come up with a similar walk around Rush

LeoB wrote: »
    A lot of the walkway is already there. There are a few spots where work would need to be done, between the North and South beach to make it passable especially at high tide.

There is a path woven all along the cliffs from the end of North beach to Drummanagh but it can be slippy. However a 3ft path of loose stone would not be a bankbreaker. The same narrow path could then be extended to Loughshinny and on to Skerries. Judging by the amount of people who already walk the cliffs this would be a good investment and encourage more people to walk the Rush Loughshinny loop. The Drummanagh itself a protected site can easily be got around by keeping the path on perimeter of the land.

A walk like this could boost the Millenium hiostorical walk that is already there around Loughshinny and I am sure the historical society could come up with a similar walk around Rush

Hang on LeoB are we talking about a boardwalk "around the head" from North Beach to the South Beach or a cliff top walking trail from Loughshinny to Rush? I know Cllr Ken Farrell has raised the heritage walk in September FCC area meeting. Link below

15 mins in
    http://www.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/63627

So they are looking for stakeholders to convene to decide the route. Just looking at the news section of Rush CC website two mentions of Eirgrid and one mention of water Quality are the only news items. Perhaps they could put up some positive news stories like this and the Gardai meeting next week? That way it could be viable one stop resource to ensure all stakeholders from the town are represented at meetings.

Some might like to think I am having another pop but if looking in from the outside if you visit sites representing Rush such as Rush CoCo Website and the Rush Co Dublin Website and go to the News section Eirgrid seems to be the main topic with the latter website showing a video of antisocial behavior at the Eirgrid protest on the Channel Rd last year. Would it encourage you to buy a house in the area if you didn't know anything about the area? I never understand people going to all the trouble of setting up websites and then updating them infrequently if at all. It just gives a bad first impression that nothing happens in this town.

On a positive note Maurs does a great job of updating its site and news page which just shows the excellent work that the club members do all year round.

• Advertisement

Hang on LeoB are we talking about a boardwalk "around the head" from North Beach to the South Beach or a cliff top walking trail from Loughshinny to Rush? I know Cllr Ken Farrell has raised the heritage walk in September FCC area meeting. Link below

15 mins in
    http://www.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/63627

So they are looking for stakeholders to convene to decide the route. .
    I think we are now looking for both. Having spoke to a few people one path is over 50% there along the cliffs but it needs to be made safer. From South beach around to the North beach there would need to be a section with a board walk, at Mariners Point where 3 houses are quite close to edge of the cliffs.
    Just looking at the news section of Rush CC website two mentions of Eirgrid and one mention of water Quality are the only news items. Perhaps they could put up some positive news stories like this and the Gardai meeting next week? That way it could be viable one stop resource to ensure all stakeholders from the town are represented at meetings. .
    Thats a fair point and to be honest I never log on to it. Maybe they are trying to keep a lid on some things for some reason? I dont know. Are clubs providing enough information to them? Are people coming forward to offer help? Maybe someone could offer their services to update the site.
    Some might like to think I am having another pop but if looking in from the outside if you visit sites representing Rush such as Rush CoCo Website and the Rush Co Dublin Website and go to the News section Eirgrid seems to be the main topic with the latter website showing a video of antisocial behavior at the Eirgrid protest on the Channel Rd last year. Would it encourage you to buy a house in the area if you didn't know anything about the area? I never understand people going to all the trouble of setting up websites and then updating them infrequently if at all. It just gives a bad first impression that nothing happens in this town. .

Have to agree with you here. Maybe we (Rush) need to have a P.R. consultant in for a few days to advise us on how to portray Rush in a more positive light. Over the last 18months I do think we as a town have come together in a far more constructive way. There is a much better feel to the town. We need to throw more bouquets not eggs at our town
    On a positive note Maurs does a great job of updating its site and news page which just shows the excellent work that the club members do all year round.

On many fronts Maurs are a great example of how to do things. It has taken a long time and believe me many fierce battles in meeting rooms but we got good advice and stuck to our aims. A lot of people would have walked away after some meetings I was involved in but we always came through and reached a compromise of some sort. It was a huge learning curve for some members (including me) who needed to be pushed forward and as we were told "be proud" and "Brag". I was always proud of what Maurs done in the community but we didnt always sell ourselves properly.

The community council have different issues where things I would say can become a little political. This does not happen or be let happen in St. Maurs. Its a great club and starting to be recognised for its great work.

btw 3 big datesin St. Maurs
    Tomorrow U/15 Championship semi-final in Swords 11.30.
    Thursday 13th Senior Championship in Parnell Park Vs Thos Davis
    Sunday 16th Junior Championship Semi-final in Balgriffen Vs Skerries Harps... Great achievement to see kids we started off in the Academy playing at such a decent level. (we were the first club to have an juvenile non competitive academy)
    We will keep bragging

Advertisement