Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Sewage Drains Problem : Need advice

Options
  • 03-08-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can offer some advice. We've been having drainage problems for the past few months. At first, a drain would overflow. I'd unblock it with some rods. A few weeks later, it happened again. And again, I unblocked it.

It happened a third time, weeks later. Bit fed up, I unblocked it but the rod got stuck somewhere, maybe a junction. Nothing I could do to fix the problem. Local council didn't want to know because it was on private land. Got a professional company in and their rod got stuck too. They thought that maybe the pipes had collapsed somewhere.

In the end, had to get them to dig up and replace 4 or 5 meters of piping. We also had no access to the main drain pipe so they built us one too, so make it easier to unblock if needed. Cost us a healthy €1500 but it needed to be done. The original pipe was in a mess.

The company did a great job but we are now starting to flood again and it's pissing me off. I don't know who to go to or who to talk to to fix this. What I DO know is that it's not us that are fooking up the drains but because we are one of the last houses on the hill, we get all the ****.

Our road is on a hill. We are second last house at the bottom of the hill, at a cul de sac. The builders obviously fooked up most things in the estate, including the drains. The MAIN drainage pip on our side of the road runs through our back gardens. In our garden, the pip is about 1 inch under ground. This is obviously not right.

Does ANYONE know who I could go to to get this sorted once and for all?
    OR what I can do to find out whose at fault? Who's clogging up the drains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How old are the properties?

Someone posted a link to a manual one of the councils produced for shared drains.

The usual rule is that everyone "uphill" of the blockage needs to share the cost.

One problem in the last few years has been people putting non-tear kitchen / bethroom wipes down the drain and they don't break down, thereby causing blockages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Victor, that is not the rule as I understand it and the manual that was linked to is not correct. As i understand it from DCC, all the parties on the shared drain are responsible for faults on the shared drain whether they are uphill or downhill.

If the whole thing is on a hill, and it is a modern installation, my guess is there is a design problem. Did the OP get a survey done with a camera?

I would suggest talking to a local councillor. All this will achieve really is that someone experienced and knowledgeable from the council will probably be dispatched, and they may be able to help you find the problem, on a fairly informal basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Victor, that is not the rule as I understand it and the manual that was linked to is not correct. As i understand it from DCC, all the parties on the shared drain are responsible for faults on the shared drain whether they are uphill or downhill.

in fairness if I was downhill of a blockage id be telling them to swing for it if they asked me to share the cost.

why should somebody who couldnt possibly have caused the problem have to pay for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

you may not like it, but that's the way court rulings have gone, according to DCC. The entire private drain is owned in common by all the parties. To join anything new on to the private drain, you need permission of all the parties.

In fact, a problem caused downstream can often cause a problem for the upstream. Any damage or blockage in the downstream pipes can slow the flow and make blockages more likely further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

This is correct.

We've had similar issues recently and ended up getting a letter from Health Board sent to all houses attached to the drain stating that all costs must be shared equally.
    Its not an easy situation to address as some of the houses (and we suspect the one where the problems are originating) are rented and getting the landlords to do something about it can take a lot of effort.

If they think its a health issue and its not fixed they will get a court order.
    you may not like it, but that's the way court rulings have gone, according to DCC. The entire private drain is owned in common by all the parties. To join anything new on to the private drain, you need permission of all the parties.

In fact, a problem caused downstream can often cause a problem for the upstream. Any damage or blockage in the downstream pipes can slow the flow and make blockages more likely further up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cheers for the responses.

Although we are are downhill, the flow is actually uphill. Now before you think me crazy, the pipe is probably at a downward gradient, which means probably deeper at the top of the hill than at my house. either that or we've been teleported to Craggy Island. I'd estimate the top of the hill is about 3 or 4 feet higher than the bottom, which isn't a lot.

The main sewage access junction is 2 houses up, in their back garden. It looks like it's 2 foot by 2 foot. I haven't checked that since I got my drains fixed.

Just heard today that the house insurance won't cover the €1500. Fookin bastads.

*EDIT* Houses are 39 to 40 years old. Maybe a little less. Not very well built at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

This sort of situation happens all the time. Every premises served by the drain is reponsible for its upkeep, however in reality it is usually the person who gets flooded that gets saddled with the bills!

You should contact the Environmental Health Officer from your local authority. As it is a public health issue they will be obliged to take some action, most likely a letter to each resident outlining their responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance of the drain.

Have you contacted your neighbours and informed them of the problem?

A CCTV survey will tell you exactly what the problem is, and you can take steps to sort it out from there.
    Ring around all the drainage companies for the CCTV, prices have dropped in the last couple of years.

Make sure you keep your receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

as per last post - CCTV is the only way to determine the issue. Best thing is they can tell you the gradient of the pipes etc... and also any issues.
    Most certainly sounds like a collapse or someone has put a large stick down and has got stuck at a junction.

Advertisement