Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malin to mizen My Mission 2010

• 03-08-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Next Thursday August 12th I will Begin cycling from Malin Head to Mizen head . I would appreciate any help advice anyone would like to inpart.Heres my route.
    12-Aug Malin To Omagh13-AugOmaghTo carrick on Shannon14-Augcarrick on ShannonTo Ballyvaughan15-AugRest day16-AugBallyvaughanTo Tarbert17-AugTarbertTo Kenmare18-AugKenmareTo Mizen Head

Thanks

Cape Clear

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bittermusicman

You will love the Kenmare to Mizen Head stage. The mountains are stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Thanks

Looking forward to climbing Molls gap from the Killarney side. it was well worth the effort on the Ring Of kerry cycle in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I might be out fot a cycle on the 18th. Let me know if you want company.

Looks like a good route. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Thanks

Looking forward to climbing Molls gap from the Killarney side. it was well worth the effort on the Ring Of kerry cycle in July.

Not bad. But road can be busy. Is stunning however.
    Would you think about climbing Molls Gap from Black Valley / Gap of Dunloe side. Well worth it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Have you checked the prevailing winds to ensure that you're going in the "right" direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Sheesh ROK, you're one cruel bastard ! ;)

Not only is the last savage kick up to Molls Gap from the Black Valley, is exactly where you got ran off the road by a white van ( probably belonging to a cyclist hating local ), but also you didn't mention he needs a decent mtb for the crap road ! :)

The main Killarney / Molls Gap road is stunning, climbing the bends up to the church is a real treat, all the coaches will have gone through in the morning, so it will be ok traffic wise, just the usual mega camper vans .... :rolleyes:

ROK ON wrote: »
    Not bad. But road can be busy. Is stunning however.
    Would you think about climbing Molls Gap from Black Valley / Gap of Dunloe side. Well worth it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

FISMA wrote: »
    Have you checked the prevailing winds to ensure that you're going in the "right" direction?
    Malin to Mizen is the "wrong" direction in that the prevailing wind blows from the south west in this country. But I think he knows that (may have been a previous thread, not 100% sure) and it is too late to change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

Hi Cape Clear
    Good look with the trip, just curious have you got support or are you on a touring bike carring your own gear?

Would like to give this a go myself at some stage.

Cheers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

+1, enjoy the trip, a friend of mine did it last year (with a few mates of his). The Kenmare-MizenHead trip will be great if you get the weather....
    Say Hi to Mr. Ed as you pass on your way to MizenHead (overlooking the wonderful Barleycove beach). ;)
    7952B702329E45A2BC6DD78238A87B5D-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Best of luck Cape Clear. Im pretty jealous was hoping to do it myself this year but i think it will have to wait till next year unfortunately..

Looking forward to hearing about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

blorg,
    Good to know, would like to do the ride one day myself.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I might be out fot a cycle on the 18th. Let me know if you want company.

Looks like a good route. Enjoy.

Will do

blorg wrote: »
    Malin to Mizen is the "wrong" direction in that the prevailing wind blows from the south west in this country. But I think he knows that (may have been a previous thread, not 100% sure) and it is too late to change now.

Dead right I know! The bed is made and I shall lie in it!I went for Malin to Mizen as I am a proud Cork Langer and what better place to finish than in one's home county. Just hope the wind blows with me!

I will be doing this with the help and support of my better half who will be driving the route at her leisure. The plan is for me to hit the road early 7AM or so on the road bike with food and other essentials. Meet her good self for a bite of lunch maybe and finish cycling each day by 2 or 3pm. Good to have an "emergency vehicle" on call if needs be. Busy booking accommodation at the moment

Did Malin to Mizen last year (different route). Best advice given to me was to appreciate the beginning and end of the journey for awhile, don't just rush to the start and quickly move off.

I Started today! Booked into the Malin Head hostel http://homepage.eircom.net/~malinheadhostel/ unloaded the bikes and cycled up the few demanding miles to Malin Head. A truely beautiful place though a tad windy. Met this group as they just finished their M2M well done to them they gave me a huge cheer as I started mine. http://www.carnwheelers.co.uk/news/details/?id=51 Have the gear ready for the morning hopefully hit the road for 7am. A slight change to advertised route will head to Donegal town as accommodation was hard to find in Omagh. Off for a pint in Farrens.Irelands most norherly pub. Happy days!

Have made it to Kenmare just another 55 miles to Mizen head Plan to hit the road before 9 in the morning and finish the journey. It's been a very enjoyable cycle over the last week. I will post some pics etc. next week haven't had a chance and internet access hasn't been great. Thanks to those who gave me advice and encouragement in the last while.

Have made it to Kenmare just another 55 miles to Mizen head Plan to hit the road before 9 in the morning and finish the journey. It's been a very enjoyable cycle over the last week. I will post some pics etc. next week haven't had a chance and internet access hasn't been great. Thanks to those who gave me advice and encouragement in the last while.

Well done! Enjoy the last bit of the cycle. Hope the weather holds up for you tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Meself

Fair play to you..thats some achievement... I was up in buncrana for the weekend and went for drive up to Malin / Malin head.... beautiful part of the country.. good luck with the remaining 55miles and enjoy those few pints at the end.

Meself

Advertisement