Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union loans and death

Options
  • 03-08-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. My Dad has just died. He had a joint account with my Mam in the credit union and a loan was taken out for a car a while back. Will this loan be directly transferred to just my Mams name or will any or all of it be dissolved? My Dad was the main account holder as far as I know. Worried for her as I dont think she will be able to pay it back now that he has gone.

Thanks for any help,

Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

LisaPol wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. My Dad has just died. He had a joint account with my Mam in the credit union and a loan was taken out for a car a while back. Will this loan be directly transferred to just my Mams name or will any or all of it be dissolved? My Dad was the main account holder as far as I know. Worried for her as I dont think she will be able to pay it back now that he has gone.

Thanks for any help,

Lisa

Lisa

Very sorry for your loss.

Get out your T&C's for your CU.

This happened with my Nan a while back when my Grandad died and the CU wiped the Loan for her.

Definitely worth looking into, as she needs as little stress and worry as possible at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hair Bear

Sorry for your loss!
    The loan will probably be written off provided your dad was the first name on the account OR depending on the insurance type the CU have.

Hope the loan is wiped for your mam!:)

Irish League of Credit Unions
    33-41 Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    Phone: 01 614 6700
    EMAIL: info@creditunion.ie

Advertisement