Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe quad pain

• 03-08-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Mods, don't worry I am going to see a physio about this, I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers or suffered from it.

After doing a fair few miles this summer, I've been off the bike for a week (longest time since April) and went out this evening for a spin. After about 10 minutes, I experienced a severe pain in both quads, which moved down to the knee and even back to the hamstring, but the quad pain was over-riding.

I still had to make it back and it was torture at times. The only way to relieve it was to stop and/or get out of the saddle and then continue, slowly. When I got home, trying to stretch it out was extremely difficult.

I had similar problems the last time I cycled this much, about 3 years ago, but the physio then couldn't determine the problem. I had a very brief episode earlier this summer when I went for a run and got a twinge after a couple of miles. Again, I went to a physio, who couldn't find anything, he recommended I refrain from running, and I didn't get it again, until now. (Must add, both times when I went to the physio, I didn't have the symptoms and it was some days after I experienced the pain).

It seems the time off the bike, albeit short, has brought on the latest episode. I did feel it come on again slightly yesterday when I was carrying one of the kids on my shoulders, particularly when going down stairs but it wasn't too bad today so headed out.

My own feeling is that I am guilty of under-stretching after a ride and the pain is muscles loosening. It certainly feels like it's due to the muscles in my quads relaxing. Any thoughts, does that sound reasonable? And would an MRI determine the cause?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Try different physio's till you get one that sorts it. Theres good ones and bad ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Sorry for hijacking the thread but, speaking of under-stretching, does anyone have a link to some good info on pre and post-ride stretches. I regularly cycle about four hours at a time and I don't do any stretching at all. So far, I haven't had any problems (apart from a stiff neck and shoulders) but prevention is better than cure and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres a stretching chapter somewhere in this...
    http://www.floodle.net/extra/ebayinfo/navy_seal_physical_fitness_guide.html

Dunno how good it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

Give Freda Davoren (physical therapist) a ring 086-3210211. Very experienced runner herself (google her), deals with some high quality athletes.

I had a problem with my calf and she sorted it out, very easy to work with and she doesn't treat you like a cash cow.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Get a bike fit too, an ill fitting bike can cause issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Firstly you would need a full assessment taking into account your lumbar spine, pelvis, hips & knees. To reach a working diagnosis you need to take into account the onset of pain, site of pain, type of pain, aggravating and relieving factors. A good Physio, Osteopath, or sports therapist should go through a thorough case history and ask you about any previous injuries, surgery or illnesses that can contribute to what you're feeling. Whilst stretching can be beneficial to help relax tense muscles following exercise it sounds like there may be a biomechanical restriction that may explain the symptoms you have.
    Good luck & hope you get out on the bike soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

on_the_nickel,
    I think you had better see a good Doctor, take some xRays, and see a good Chiropractor.

What you are describing does not sound good. Although, I would like to believe it has to do with a nice easy fix like stretching or fit. I highly doubt it.

Pains down both legs? That bothers me.

If the medical Dr and xRays turn up nothing, definitely go to the Chiropractor. They have worked miracles on my back when medical Doctors saw nothing and could only prescribe medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Bikes do not cause injury if properly fitted unless you build at an unsustainable pace. Unless you have done that then any physio will need to be followed up with a bike fit. Problem though is finding a proper bike fitrer in Ireland as they mostly seem to be data inputters with about as much knowledge of biomechanics as the majority of us know about making a loaf. We may have recipe but the vast majority will get mediocre results because the recipe can't tell us everything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Re; bike fitting. Popped into Richies bike shop in Swords to sort a few minor things on my bike and mentioned I was getting lower back pain when racing. The bike mechanic whose there at moment (Frank) was able to make some adjustments and was really thorough even though to do a full bike fitting he said he'd need 2 hrs. After 20mins he had my bike position changed and after racing tonight these changes have made a huge difference. Overall great service and would recommend giving the shop a call.
    Would agree that seeing your Gp is an important thing to do but an MRI scan would be far more useful than an X-ray. If the bilateral leg pain is due to a possible intervertebral disc herniation or prolapse the only way of diagnosing this is by way of MRI. Don't assume anything until you have been evaluated and examined by a professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Thanks all, making an appointment with a physio and getting a bike fit today.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, I went to a chiropractor this morning who said it's almost certainly related to a problem with my 3L vertebra which can be resolved with a few sessions of manipulation.

For anyone with any kind of small niggles, I'd recommend a session with a good chiro.

Thank f*ck, I'm collecting my new bike next week and was getting depressed at the thought of being house-bound.

Work begins on Monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For anyone interested, I went to a chiropractor this morning who said it's almost certainly related to a problem with my 3L vertebra which can be resolved with a few sessions of manipulation.

For anyone with any kind of small niggles, I'd recommend a session with a good chiro.

Maybe hold off on the recommendation until the problem is actually fixed. :)

I don't know much about chiropractic except that quite a lot of people seem to think it's complete bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

stiff neck and shoulders ? check bike poistion , should not be happenning at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

i can recommend a sports therapist to you. He works with riverdance and other performers and is a cyclist him self. Worked wonders on my shoulder pain in 1 hour. Something that 2 doctors and a set of xrays cost 200 euro couldnt.

Pm me if you want his number. He has a dublin city center office

Lumen wrote: »

I don't know much about chiropractic except that quite a lot of people seem to think it's complete bollox.

Bollox it may well be, but it seems to have helped me. After about 5 or 6 sessions and 3 weeks off the bike I did 70k on Saturday and 35km last night with no quad pain, thank feck.

It is pricey, and has made me think about how useful it is, but the science behind it makes sense and the proof was in the pudding on Saturday going up the airport hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Lumen wrote: »

I think the problem arises when certain chiropractors make wild claims about extraneous benefits - have a read of this summary of the Simon Singh libel case for info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Singh#Chiropractic_lawsuit_and_backlash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

stuf wrote: »
    I think the problem arises when certain chiropractors make wild claims about extraneous benefits - have a read of this summary of the Simon Singh libel case for info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Singh#Chiropractic_lawsuit_and_backlash

Lordy. I'm quite glad I said "quite a lot of people seem to think it's complete bollox" rather than "it's complete bollox".

Advertisement