Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to put Eircom modem in bridge mode

Options
  • 03-08-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to put a brand new eircom modem into bridge mode.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60891130&postcount=12

I followed the steps above for my old modem, but the new menus on the newest eircom modems don't match this. The menus have changed with the new Zyxel p660.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Log onto the router

Open Network -> WAN
    Mode = Bridge
    Encap = RFC1483
    Multiplex = LLC
    VPI = 8
    VCI = 35

Open Network -> NAT
    Uncheck NAT

Open Security -> Firewall
    Uncheck Active Firewall

I think that should do it you probably don't need to undo NAT or the Firewall but I always do and some of the older ones need you to Telnet into the CLI too

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

Many thanks- very helpful.

I want to use my Airport Express for PPPoE, so will set the modem to bridge mode with these settings.

Just to say this worked perfectly today- thanks.

Don't suppose anyone knows how to put a new UPC modem into bridge mode? I want to do this for a friend but haven't used one of their modems before.

Thanks

No problem it's not possible & not needed with the UPC Modem(It's completely different technology)You will need an ethernet router(Ehternet port for the WAN) and then it's the same thing as being bridged i.e. You'll have a public IP on the WAN side of your router. AFAIK UPC usually offer one with a builtin wireless AP.

Thanks but just not sure I understand. At present the UPC wireless in my friends house does not allow certain services. There seems to be a block on a service called MobileMe which allows a mac user to access their other mac. This guy wants to connect to his work Mac from his home Mac.

When this happens, setting up the modem as a bridge (like i did with the Eircom modem today) and then setting up an apple airport express in pppoe mode works great and fixes this issue. The modem in bridge mode means it does not block this MobileMe service, and the apple airport express does all of the work.

But with the UPC box, if this can't be put in bridge mode, I am just not sure how I will set it up with an airport express. Is there a way to get the UPC box to just pass on the internet signal, and not do any of the work such as dhcp, nat, firewalls etc.

Thanks really appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement

macuser56 wrote: »
    Thanks but just not sure I understand. At present the UPC wireless in my friends house does not allow certain services. There seems to be a block on a service called MobileMe which allows a mac user to access their other mac. This guy wants to connect to his work Mac from his home Mac.

I don't know anything about the Airport Express sorry. But I have UPC and use an Ethernet router AFAIK UPC don't filter any ports. I VPN back to my Windows 7 machine during the day without any issue.
    macuser56 wrote: »
    But with the UPC box, if this can't be put in bridge mode, I am just not sure how I will set it up with an airport express. Is there a way to get the UPC box to just pass on the internet signal, and not do any of the work such as dhcp, nat, firewalls etc.

When you say UPC box what name is on it? I think there might be a router attached to the UPC modem and you are confusing the two. A UPC modem will have coax from the wall plate and a network lead from its Internet port this is what you should plug the Airport into.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Log onto the router

Open Network -> WAN
    Mode = Bridge
    Encap = RFC1483
    Multiplex = LLC
    VPI = 8
    VCI = 35

Open Network -> NAT
    Uncheck NAT

Open Security -> Firewall
    Uncheck Active Firewall

I think that should do it you probably don't need to undo NAT or the Firewall but I always do and some of the older ones need you to Telnet into the CLI too

Will these settings work for the new Xytel, I think this is how they spell the name, Modem? Also Will Bridge mode render internet useless? Will be doin' some Googling on this subject over the next few days as my CCTV setup needs a Bridged Mode ADSL Router connection as may my WHS Server.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

Anyone know how to do the Xzytel Modem, the newer Eircom Router?

Would I be right in saying that when you set the Modem to Bridge Mode it no longer acts ans a modem or is that wrong? I have a DLink DIR855 and would like to use that as the Rourer for my home network and keep the Xzytel (Eircom) modem as just a Modem. This will also let me connect my CCTV Recorder to the Bridged Modem and still have an internal WiFi Network.

If so has any one suggestions on Brdging the Eircom Router? Also which Router is the one to be set as Bridge? Do you then connect the second Router using its Lan or Wan port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Answered in the other thread

Please stick to one thread.

Advertisement