Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 118: Toney vs Couture **spoilers inside**

• 03-08-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Does anyone think Toney can pull off the upset. I've heard he is in amazing shape and isn't going to be relying solely on his boxing skills. Ray Mercer did it, can James Toney? Personally Id love to see it happen :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Does anyone think Toney can pull off the upset. I've heard he is in amazing shape and isn't going to be relying solely on his boxing skills. Ray Mercer did it, can James Toney? Personally Id love to see it happen :D

Randy will take him down and fight will be over, only question is if Toney can tap before Randy snaps a limb

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

does anybody know the odds on toney winning? i was thinking of having a small bet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fromvert wrote: »

What is the odds on Toney pulling out?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    does anybody know the odds on toney winning? i was thinking of having a small bet...
    This might encourage you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Swdk24M88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

scudzilla wrote: »
    Randy will take him down and fight will be over, only question is if Toney can tap before Randy snaps a limb
    I've heard Toney is going to utilize the uppercut to counter takedowns, as a Toney fan I'm hoping Randy comes out to take him down and gets his head knocked of his shoulders :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Toney to win via Flying Armbar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Randy's no idiot! He's not gonna stand in front of James Toney!

Randy is gonna wanna go out there, take Toney down and smash him!

I don't even think he'll try submit him. I think he'll be content to sit in Half Guard and GnP Toney.

I'm not a Randy fan like most.... but after seeing Toney's interviews i hope Randy finishes him within a round, nothing likeable about the guy

I'm not a Randy fan like most.... but after seeing Toney's interviews i hope Randy finishes him within a round, nothing likeable about the guy

I hope they have Ed Soares on hand to translate what Toney says!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Ray Mercer did it

Hardly the Same thing. If Randy puts on a load of weight, stops training and has absolutely no game plan for the fight, it might happen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

James Toney with a good ground game equals beast!!!

i doubt his ground game will be at a level to stop Randy at all though if it goes there, but he is a tough dude with a heart of a lion so he wont be beat easy, but like any man-when your been choked asleep heart means nothing if ya cant escape.

Im strangely excited even though i think it's a fighter who should never have been brought into the UFC in the 1st place, 1 been to 1 dimensional and 2 been old and battle worn.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I'm calling the upset for Toney!

...even though I think it's seriously unlikely! If Randy wins then hopefully no-one will remember this post. If Toney wins then I'll quote the first line in that thread and then act all superior-like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

randy is known for having a gameplan in these scenarios. interesting to see what toney is picking up currently and to see how he can handle a takedown attempt from a chap that has being doing it at championship level for about 40 years:D

i predict randy to clinch, up against the cage with a bit of dirty boxing, take down, gnp, punishment form half guard then a sub of the night.$$

randy is known for having a gameplan in these scenarios. interesting to see what toney is picking up currently and to see how he can handle a takedown attempt from a chap that has being doing it at championship level for about 40 years:D

i predict randy to clinch, up against the cage with a bit of dirty boxing, take down, gnp, punishment form half guard then a sub of the night.$$

I seriously doubt James Toney had EVER been taken down in his life until he decided to get himself an MMA bout.

There's no way he will be able to defend a takedown from Randy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Lads who have been training mma and wrestling for years have had trouble with randy, to be honest unless toney lands a freak punch bang on target then i cant see any way he will win or even come close, serious domination for randy in this one i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

The fight starts on its feet so I think the chances of Toney landing are not that slim, it most likely will happen. Whether that's a glancing blow, a blocked punch or a ko punch is what I'm worried about.

I have seen Randy falling from punches that did not look the best and that's from other mma guys, not someone with the power or speed of a pro boxer.

I think as soon as Randy has him on the mat or even against the cage, we all now it's over. But there's a good chance of Randy getting hit at least once or twice in the process, so there's always the possilbity of a Toney ko.

Saw this on F4WOnline:
    Speaking of, there was a Toney/Couture conference call yesterday (coincidentally head-to-head with a Strikeforce conference call). Anyway, the transcript was sent to me and it has the term "inaudible" used in reference to something Toney said an astounding 46 times, which means approximately one inaudible comment per minute.

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joeybull

randy will pin him to the cage.put him on his back and pound on his big mouth,fight over in 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Toney via flying Kimura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Toney via flying Kimura

Unoriginal joke is unoriginal.

Toney via mumblejumblewalhuammmmriahhndauu

Well, that's how HE'D pronounce it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

My main fear on this one is Randy will feel pressured to stand, now we all know Randy is experienced to the N'th degree and knows better, but that pressure will be there all the same I think.

He should take him down and and puond him out or grab an arm or neck or what ever's there, end it asap as the long it goes on the better it makes Toney look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I think i might do a double on Maynard and Winner. €3 pays €10.50

calex71 wrote: »
    My main fear on this one is Randy will feel pressured to stand, now we all know Randy is experienced to the N'th degree and knows better, but that pressure will be there all the same I think.

He should take him down and and puond him out or grab an arm or neck or what ever's there, end it asap as the long it goes on the better it makes Toney look.

If anything, i think there's pressure on Couture NOT to stand with Toney.

The only pressure will be for Randy to take Toney's boxing away from him and beat Toney with Randy's strengths and show James Toney that he may be a great Boxer, but he ain't winning a fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Randy is under no pressure to fight a certain way, he will do his thing and not care what people are saying about the fight, he's a smart man and will do whatever he feels is the best way of beating Toney, The fight is a stupid freak show that should not happen but it is and will garner some interest, i think the main thing for Toney is getting his name back out there so he can challenge the Klitscko's for there belts!

a win here would be massive for him in that regards, losing wont mean much with him been a poor boxer for ages in the fans eyes.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Check out this little gem of a breakdown from eastsideboxing;

Excerpt:
    Some of the MMA fans think that Couture will be able to tap out Toney with some sort of arm bar, joint lock, or choke and while between the two fighters Couture has the better skills in these areas, I don’t believe the word tap out even pops into Toney’s mind because I believe that Toney, despite his appearance of being, in some people’s opinion, as a ‘fat old big mouth trash talker’ who won’t be able to back it up when push comes to shove, is the fact that the old school warrior in Toney will not allow him to quit in the ring no matter what as despite Toney’s prefight demeanor, which is James Toney just being James Toney, he is all business in the ring.

Full article:
    http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=24760&more=1

:rolleyes:

Check out this little gem of a breakdown from eastsideboxing;

Excerpt:

Full article:
    http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=24760&more=1

:rolleyes:

Obviously they haven't a clue!

What makes them think he has to quit in order to lose my submission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

calling it now Couture via DQ due to Toney kicking the head of a downed opponent

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    calling it now Couture via DQ due to Toney kicking the head of a downed opponent

Not a bad shout, if i could envisage Couture ever being down and not being on top of Toney beating the speech impediment out of him!

Id laugh if Toney's corner throws in the towel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

"Hey princuss im guna getchuh", Randys gonna bust him up for sureeeeeeee. What weight is this at actually, toney looks to be a loose 250 or so in the vids ive seen of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not a Randy fan like most........

Say Wha?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Would his lower body conditioning have an effect on the fight? I'd imagine as a boxer he wouldn't receive too many low kicks etc. Just a thought.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Would his lower body conditioning have an effect on the fight? I'd imagine as a boxer he wouldn't receive too many low kicks etc. Just a thought.

I hope Randy doesnt try to go down the leg kick route, if he does he's getting dropped with a straight right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I hope Randy doesnt try to go down the leg kick route, if he does he's getting dropped with a straight right.

I didn't mean it'd turn into a MT vs. boxing fight. I just mean that Toney could probably take a baseball bat to the head no problem, but Couture could probably take a baseball bat to anywhere it's legit to hit no problem...

Dermighty wrote: »
    I didn't mean it'd turn into a MT vs. boxing fight. I just mean that Toney could probably take a baseball bat to the head no problem, but Couture could probably take a baseball bat to anywhere it's legit to hit no problem...

I got what you are saying. I talking from a non-practioner's point of view Toney's legs wouldnt be as callused up Randy's.

Just look at the damage Inoki did to Ali's legs in their mixed match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

How we can be talking about any other result than randy TKO in the first is beyond me...toney gets taken down very very very very easily and ground and pound takes care of business..

How dana white is selling this as a main event is truly frightening and an insult to MMA fans.

Toney has been finished as a top level boxer for a decade.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    How we can be talking about any other result than randy TKO in the first is beyond me...toney gets taken down very very very very easily and ground and pound takes care of business..

How dana white is selling this as a main event is truly frightening and an insult to MMA fans.

Toney has been finished as a top level boxer for a decade.

Yeah but Randy isnt exactly at his peak either, his chin isnt great and Toney will hit hard in 4oz. I'd be less concerned if Randy's preference was to shoot for takedowns rather then punch his way into the clinch, the risk of Randy getting clipped is very real.

Randy should win, but if ever someone had a punchers chance, its James Toney.

You are entitled to your opinion but it is a free market the market will decide whether it is insulting or not.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    You are entitled to your opinion but it is a free market the market will decide whether it is insulting or not.

Its just one mans opinion true, the rest of the card is legit this fight should be waaaayy down the pecking order.

Yeah but Randy isnt exactly at his peak either, his chin isnt great and Toney will hit hard in 4oz. I'd be less concerned if Randy's preference was to shoot for takedowns rather then punch his way into the clinch, the risk of Randy getting clipped is very real.

Randy should win, but if ever someone had a punchers chance, its James Toney.

Punchers chance = woefully overmatched.

Punchers chance = woefully overmatched.

Ray Mercer was woefully over matched against Sylvia too.

Its just one mans opinion true, the rest of the card is legit this fight should be waaaayy down the pecking order.

But isnt the title fight going on last?

But isnt the title fight going on last?

OBviously it is, whats your point?

UFC_118_Edgar_vs_Penn_2_poster.jpg

OBviously it is, whats your point?

The special attaction is in the attraction spot on the card. Believe me if they place this fight above the title fight then I will be in the same boat as you. Sorry but personally speaking dont see how this is an insult to MMA fans.

The special attaction is in the attraction spot on the card. Believe me if they place this fight above the title fight then I will be in the same boat as you. Sorry but personally speaking dont see how this is an insult to MMA fans.

Again its all about opinions, i think its a joke fight. Not gonna stop me watching the card but then thats only becuase im putting this months mortgage payment on Couture Tko1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I can only see a Couture victory, and a comprehensive one at that. Fair enough it's an interesting spectacle I suppose but I can't say I'm especailly excited about it. Toney hasn't even been relevant in his own sport in about four years and there was always question marks over his mental toughness even when he was at his peak. Have a read of Dark Trade by Donald McRae for an insight into him.

When I think of this card I think of BJ - Edgar 2.

Whatever anyone says, James Toney is already the winner of the night!

The guy can't get a big fight in Boxing, he's probably close to being broke for all we know. He hasn't had a big payday in quite a while.

So he starts goading Dana, knowing that Dana is probably the only guy in the entire fight game who would bite. And bite he did!

So Toney gets a big payday and has his "I'm a boxer, i can't wrestle" excuse. OR he gets a big payday, he KOs one of the best of all-time and he either sets up a fight agains one of the Klitchkos or he gets another big payday in the UFC by fighting another Top HW!

Either way, James Toney has EVERYTHING to gain and nothing to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Whatever anyone says, James Toney is already the winner of the night!

The guy can't get a big fight in Boxing, he's probably close to being broke for all we know. He hasn't had a big payday in quite a while.

So he starts goading Dana, knowing that Dana is probably the only guy in the entire fight game who would bite. And bite he did!

So Toney gets a big payday and has his "I'm a boxer, i can't wrestle" excuse. OR he gets a big payday, he KOs one of the best of all-time and he either sets up a fight agains one of the Klitchkos or he gets another big payday in the UFC by fighting another Top HW!

Either way, James Toney has EVERYTHING to gain and nothing to lose!

TBH,I really dont think James Toney is Close To Being Broke,at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement