Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 118: Toney vs Couture **spoilers inside**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Joe Lauzon, superb victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Look Boxing is Corrupt at the Proffesional Level,But in Ireland the ameture scene is Great!

On the other hand MMA Is Becoming Huge in Ireland with many events per month

I Cant see why people cant like both sports without arguing with each other over which sport would win/is more dominant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Its obvious is it? Not really, just because someone shares an opinion that means that you've been influenced by the other person?

Ok, here's backing it up:

What were Kennys biggest fights in the UFC
    1. Ultimate fighter finale v Diego Sanchez - lost
    2. Sean Sherk fight for title - lost
    3. BJ Penn fight for title - lost
    4. Maynard fight - lost

In my opinion Florian is technically a more rounded fighter than Maynard and Sherk, and so should have beaten them. The maynard and penn fights in particular he did very little.

I find it funny that on an internet forum made for people giving opinions (and thats all they are) you take exception to me having one

I don't take exception, i just disagree that he "Choked".

Can you explain to me why his fights v Gomi, Joe Daddy or Clay Guida weren't big?

So you think he is better than Maynard, the only guy to beat the current World Champ, and Sherk, a former champ himself and a title challenger at 170?

Don't you noticed that Kenny has his strengths but his weakness is Wrestling. Both these guys are wrestlers.

He didnt choke, he got beaten by better fighters!

(Also, to use the Diego fight as an example is pretty ridiculous!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Bernard Dunne couldnt knock out anyone with a "left hook".

Lets face facts - the only winner last night was James Toney.

He made boxing look crap infront of MMA fans and made MMA look like a circus act in front of boxing fans.

"But Toney wanted the fight"

Of course he did, because no one in boxing would give him a pay day.

Dana White did - $750,000 - much more than most MMA artists - and he didnt even have to train for the "fight" - just turn up.

James lost the "fight" but won at the cash register and thats all he wanted.

you may need to check your facts here - there is no way he was paid $750,000 for last nights loss.

Anyone know Toneys offical purse for last night? I'd say its closer to $50,000?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Yeah, like Fedor against the top UFC guy of any time?

Your point was "boxing is dying". You have failed to adequately back it up.

there wasn't really a dominant HW at the time when Fedor was negotiating with UFC in fairness.

Now there is and Fedor's mystique has gone and nobody is interested in a Brock v Fedor match.

Also, the Fedor example is THE ONLY example. Because in general the best fighters in each division fight under the Zuffa banner.

• Advertisement

siochain wrote: »
    you may need to check your facts here - there is no way he was paid $750,000 for last nights loss.

They don't get released for a few days officially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't take exception, i just disagree that he "Choked".

Can you explain to me why his fights v Gomi, Joe Daddy or Clay Guida weren't big?

So you think he is better than Maynard, the only guy to beat the current World Champ, and Sherk, a former champ himself and a title challenger at 170?

Don't you noticed that Kenny has his strengths but his weakness is Wrestling. Both these guys are wrestlers.

He didnt choke, he got beaten by better fighters!

(Also, to use the Diego fight as an example is pretty ridiculous!)

Gomi, Stevenson and Guida fights weren't for titles but they were good victories in fairness

I think he's more rounded than Maynard and Sherk and could have beaten them both.

Gomi, Stevenson and Guida fights weren't for titles but they were good victories in fairness

I think he's more rounded than Maynard and Sherk and could have beaten them both.

He COULD have, but their wrestling was too good for poor Kenny.

Now maybe Kenny will get to avenge his loss to Diego, if Diego wants it that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭BoxingIrel.com

This says 750k to 1m

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/260689/Toney-purse-estimated-at-750000-to-1000000/

Here are the purses from the last UFC. Looks like Toney took the UFC for a ride to be honest.

- Anderson Silva: $200,000 (no win bonus) def. Chael Sonnen: $35,000
    - Jon Fitch: $108,000 (includes $54,000 win bonus) def. Thiago Alves: $60,000
    - Clay Guida: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus) def. Rafael dos Anjos: $12,000
    - Matt Hughes: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Ricardo Almeida: $35,000
    - Junior Dos Santos: $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Roy Nelson: $15,000

Preliminary Card:
    - Rick Story: $22,000 (includes $11,000 win bonus) def. Dustin Hazelett: $18,000
    - Phil Davis: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus) def. Rodney Wallace: $6,000
    - Johny Hendricks: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Charlie Brenneman: $8,000
    - Tim Boetsch: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Todd Brown: $6,000
    - Stefan Struve: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Christian Morecraft: $6,000
    - Dennis Hallman: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Ben Saunders: $12,000

In boxing, “I can’t get no fights.” - exactly Toney!

This says 750k to 1m

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/260689/Toney-purse-estimated-at-750000-to-1000000/

Here are the purses from the last UFC. Looks like Toney took the UFC for a ride to be honest.

- Clay Guida: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus) def. Rafael dos Anjos: $12,000
    - Matt Hughes: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Ricardo Almeida: $35,000
    - Junior Dos Santos: $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Roy Nelson: $15,000

Preliminary Card:
    - Rick Story: $22,000 (includes $11,000 win bonus) def. Dustin Hazelett: $18,000
    - Johny Hendricks: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Charlie Brenneman: $8,000
    - Stefan Struve: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Christian Morecraft: $6,000
    - Dennis Hallman: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Ben Saunders: $12,000

And it was the viewership of the likes of you, who never watches MMA according to yourself, who paid for it.

Good man yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

This says 750k to 1m

Preliminary Card:

We will wait until the state athletic commission post the exact fee's. Nothing shady in MMA about purses you see ;)

And it was the viewership of the likes of you, who never watches MMA according to yourself, who paid for it.

Good man yourself!

I think you are missing the point and as usual getting extremely defensive.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    We will wait until the state athletic commission post the exact fee's. Nothing shady in MMA about purses you see ;)

which is to be applauded.

I think you are missing the point and as usual getting extremely defensive.

I'm not getting defensive at all. It's the truth.

Dana White knew that if James Toney fought, Boxing fans who don't normally watch UFC would get their knickers in a twist and tune into this "circus" thing.

And he was 100% right. Not only did they have the usual fanbase, but they suckered in Boxing fans too.

Which included you. Mission Accomplished!

I'm not getting defensive at all. It's the truth.

Dana White knew that if James Toney fought, Boxing fans who don't normally watch UFC would get their knickers in a twist and tune into this "circus" thing.

And he was 100% right. Not only did they have the usual fanbase, but they suckered in Boxing fans too.

Which included you. Mission Accomplished!

Well if you think that that was 'Mission Accomplished' then fair enough.

I would say that if that was his MO then it was short term gain but in the long term is damaging his product.

I certainly didnt see anything last night that would make me want to tune in again. Each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

neither was TUF finale or Maynard fight but you decided to use these as examples of when he 'choked'(in your opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

the ufc joe rogan word of the night presented by tequila cazadores "wilting"

pretty unexciting fights last night

I would say that if that was his MO then it was short term gain but in the long term is damaging his product.

I certainly didnt see anything last night that would make me want to tune in again. Each to their own I guess.

It was long term genius. Even if 1% of the boxing fans who tuned in had never seen MMA before and became a fan, that just adds to the fanbase.

Nothing that went on last night tarnished the name of UFC or MMA.

And it doesn't really matter if you don''t tune in again. It has gotten you talking. You are actually on the internet talking about MMA to people who could be anywhere in the world and you've been doing so for 2 days now.

Money well spent by Dana White.

adamski8 wrote: »

I quite liked "Demolishment" myself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

adamski8 wrote: »

I had it as Dexterity myself !!

• Advertisement

This says 750k to 1m

Preliminary Card:

Grand I may stand corrected, let’s wait for the press release and PPV figures.

There is one way I can see Dana White may have done damage to UFC, his top fighters could be well annoyed if Toney gets that kind of payout regardless of how many extra PPV's the show attracted.

Grand I may stand corrected, let’s wait for the press release and PPV figures.

There is one way I can see Dana White may have done damage to UFC, his top fighters could be well annoyed if Toney gets that kind of payout regardless of how many extra PPV's the show attracted.

Maybe, but maybe not.

Thats just pure speculation. No damage was done to MMA last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'm just going to ignore this troll, I don't know what his point is, Boxers can't hack MMA. We all know this, they know it, so stfu.

If anyone wanted to watch a real Boxer versus a MMA fighter fight all they had to do is watch the main event and see how Bj faired against Frankie.

I know Penn is a world champion in BJJ and been competing in MMA for 10 years but last night he was the epitome of how a boxer should be prepared for MMA. Wrestling defence and submission defence and standing back up. But having said that, when a Boxer stylist fights a guy with better wrestling (Edgar is actually a highly decorated wrestler, been wrestling for almost his entire life) who works leg kicks and boxing and doesn't stand in front of you, the boxer still comes off second best.

Maynard and Edgar may not be an entertaining bout for the casual fan but I'm looking forward to it. Florian and Penn 2( or is it 3??) in 3 rounds might be a more exciting fight. Let's hope Florian comes in ready to smash rather than trying not to lose too badly.

Wake up and smell the coffee, this is the biggest growing sport in the world and its early days yet

list of the top-ten pay-per view events of 2009:
    1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11 - 1.6 million
    2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14 - 1.25 million
    3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19 - 1.05 million
    4. UFC 94: Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn, Jan. 31 - 920,000
    5. UFC 101: B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian/Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, Aug. 8 - 850,000
    6. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, May 2 - 825,000
    7t. UFC 107: B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, Dec. 12 - 650,000
    7t. UFC 97: Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites/Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua, April 18 - 650,000
    9. UFC 98: Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans/Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra, May 23 - 635,000
    10. Wrestling: WWE WrestleMania 25, April 5 - 582,000

there's only one event that could beat UFC PPV's and that Manny V Floyd and that saga is a joke.

Maybe, but maybe not.

Thats just pure speculation. No damage was done to MMA last night.

not so sure, if a title defence gets $200,000 as was the case with Silva and Sonnen get's $35,000 for a loss while giving us great viewing, I'm sure they would be well rattled to hear if Toney gets anything close to $1,000,000.

Wake up and smell the coffee, this is the biggest growing sport in the world and its early days yet

list of the top-ten pay-per view events of 2009:
    1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11 - 1.6 million
    2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14 - 1.25 million
    3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19 - 1.05 million
    4. UFC 94: Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn, Jan. 31 - 920,000
    5. UFC 101: B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian/Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, Aug. 8 - 850,000
    6. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, May 2 - 825,000
    7t. UFC 107: B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, Dec. 12 - 650,000
    7t. UFC 97: Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites/Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua, April 18 - 650,000
    9. UFC 98: Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans/Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra, May 23 - 635,000
    10. Wrestling: WWE WrestleMania 25, April 5 - 582,000

there's only one event that could beat UFC PPV's and that Manny V Floyd and that saga is a joke.

I love it! That is your response to what question exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

not so sure, if a title defence gets $200,000 as was the case with Silva and Sonnen get's $35,000 for a loss while giving us great viewing, I'm sure they would be well rattled to hear if Toney gets anything close to $1,000,000.

Fighters purses are normally predefined, contractually stipulated. Its not like they go into the office to collect a payslip from Lorenzo and Dana and walk out countin the notes, moaning about it.

This payday for Toney won't surprise anyone, as purse is based on potential return, with ability only a minor part of it.

There was no major backlash at brock walking into a huge contract, and being thrown straight into the top of the division.

Also, research back further, When Fedor knocked out Arlovski in the first round, he was paid circa $300,000, where Arlovski got close to $1million.

inequality is not a new thing, and this will do precisely 0 damage to UFC.

(please nobody mention Kimbo's $500,000 for 14 seconds against petruzelli :D)

Come back when Anderson Silva kicks Dana White's ass for paying James Toney more than him.

Until then, you are speculating!

I love it! That is your response to what question exactly?

nothing specific, just in response to your generally childish responses in this tread and the one your banded from over the boxing forum.

• Advertisement

Trashbat wrote: »
    Fighters purses are normally predefined, contractually stipulated. Its not like they go into the office to collect a payslip from Lorenzo and Dana and walk out countin the notes, moaning about it.

This payday for Toney won't surprise anyone, as purse is based on potential return, with ability only a minor part of it.

There was no major backlash at brock walking into a huge contract, and being thrown straight into the top of the division.

Also, research back further, When Fedor knocked out Arlovski in the first round, he was paid circa $300,000, where Arlovski got close to $1million.

Arlovski actually got $1.5m

Come back when Anderson Silva kicks Dana White's ass for paying James Toney more than him.

Until then, you are speculating!

this was just using the name fighters as an example.....

speculating, isn't that what we are all doing by having an opinion here.

this was just using the name fighters as an example.....

speculating, isn't that what we are all doing by having an opinion here.

Most of our opinions are based in fact.

You are saying that perhaps someone's feelings will be hurt and perhaps they will complain.

The business has been this way for ages. The fighters get paid proportionately!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Worst card in a while. (Besides the Diaz fight)

Actually left the BJ Penn fight in round 2 and went to bed.

Most of our opinions are based in fact.

You are saying that perhaps someone's feelings will be hurt and perhaps they will complain.

The business has been this way for ages. The fighters get paid proportionately!

Yes, I though that was clear.

Who's 'our'?

Trashbat wrote: »

I’m kind of aware of how contacts are agreed, regardless in any situation job wise if someone is under qualified, doing a crap job and getting paid way more than you it has to affect you.

The only comparison with brock is he draws viewers from another sport, when signing his contact he was a prime athlete with potential, Toney is not.

Ferdor & Arlovski was not under UFC it was with another organisation known for paying bigger contracts. Wasn’t Affliction events shut down due to cash flow problems?

• Advertisement

Yes, I though that was clear.

Who's 'our'?

You said "we"

I said "our"

Still confused?

:) nothing personal

I’d disagree on this one, the only facts in the any of the sports forums are the fixture dates, line ups and results. Which is usually a small percentage of the posts.

In most cases in sports forums the rest is generally people’s opinions\speculations or regurgitated rubbish from other forums or misinformed websites with an agenda which equals rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Archimedes wrote: »
    I want to see Couture do battle with Stone Cold Steve Austin

Watch The Expendables.

Or not. It sucks.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Wacker wrote: »
    Watch The Expendables.

Or not. It sucks.

yeah, unreal disappointing.

Editing all over the place, couldn't follow the action at all.

It was leaked online so i'll have another look from the comfort of my own home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

jayteecork wrote: »
    Worst card in a while. (Besides the Diaz fight)

Actually left the BJ Penn fight in round 2 and went to bed.

It wasn't a great show but we've been spoiled over the last few months with some epic ones.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a great show but we've been spoiled over the last few months with some epic ones.

yeah like Abu Dabi(sp?) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Before i go daniel why did you thank iron's post. He effectively said and disproved exactly what you were giving off about BJ for....

He unthanked it soon after :pac:

Devastator wrote: »
    yeah like Abu Dabi(sp?) :D

Didn't you see UFC 116 or 117?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ROCE1977 wrote: »
    I'll stay on topic unlike the rest of you bitches! lol The fight was a joke. Wasn't even a fight. Lets see a rematch. But next time boxing rules.Couture is a fagot. Scare to stand toe to toe. Coz when he does boxer or MMA figher he gets ko'd. Tony is never going to win a wrestling match is he. Coz he's a striker.

That fight proved nothing. MMa and Boxing are different sports. End of story.

Seasoned street fighter No rules hammers both. Triangle , streetfighter ( or martial artist) will take you eye from your head. Crush your wind pipe. Bite your bollox.

Same with all MMa. Only good in the ring. Last thing you'd do in the street is roll with someone in a fight. Odds are in the real world. The guy your fighting with , he's friends will come out of supermac's and stamp on your head. Thats real life. And any good self defence or martial arts class will tell you stay on your feet.
    Wow.So much shite talk in 1 post.Didnt know this was possible :eek:

I'll stay on topic unlike the rest of you bitches! lol The fight was a joke. Wasn't even a fight. Lets see a rematch. But next time boxing rules.Couture is a fagot. Scare to stand toe to toe. Coz when he does boxer or MMA figher he gets ko'd. Tony is never going to win a wrestling match is he. Coz he's a striker.

That fight proved nothing. MMa and Boxing are different sports. End of story.

Seasoned street fighter No rules hammers both. Triangle , streetfighter ( or martial artist) will take you eye from your head. Crush your wind pipe. Bite your bollox.

Same with all MMa. Only good in the ring. Last thing you'd do in the street is roll with someone in a fight. Odds are in the real world. The guy your fighting with , he's friends will come out of supermac's and stamp on your head. Thats real life. And any good self defence or martial arts class will tell you stay on your feet.

Best post ever!

Also, i love Supermacs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

jayteecork wrote: »
    yeah, unreal disappointing.

Editing all over the place, couldn't follow the action at all.

It was leaked online so i'll have another look from the comfort of my own home.

Did you seriously thing it was going to win oscars! lol It's meant to be an 80's spoof.

Cage rage has better fights then UFC. lol:p

Did you seriously thing it was going to win oscars! lol It's meant to be an 80's spoof.

Cage rage has better fights then UFC. lol:p

Cage Rage lol!

You've really missed the boat with this MMA thing haven't you?

Is Royce Gracie still the baddest guy in the world where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Big Ears wrote: »
    Not bad tbh, Marcus Maidana had a much tougher and very close fight with Demarcus Corley and Giovanni Segura ended the long undefeated streak of one of the greatest small men in boxing we've ever seen Ivan Calderon.

Unfortunately MMA fans had to put up with the farce of Couture vs Toney and a one sided main event as Edgar dominated Penn, although I suppose Edger's performance was entertaining to see.

You spoiling bast*rd! And there isn't even a bloody mention of it in the boxing forum! Had just finished downloading and all. Ah well, that's what I get for being a fan of both sports.

Poor card and sh*t thread. Like I said in the boxing forum all the result proves is that Randy Couture is a better Mixed Martial Artist than James Toney, no more than that. Hugely impressed with Edgar, fantastic performance, took all five rounds with great movement, speed, angles, variety etc. Looks to me like BJ doesn't have the hunger at the moment, though that is taking absolutely nothing away from Frankie. Hopefully he'll be back.

WAR FRANKIE.

Didn't you see UFC 116 or 117?

haha I love 'em all....nah seriously... I don't ;) There are always great fights in each card, sometimes we just always really want to see a great fight and on paper we can all imagine some epics. I always enjoy every UFC, just optimistic that each will better than the last which means the streak can continue. I really enjoyed some of last nights fights and backed Maynard/Edgar double :)

oh and Akiyama/Leben was a battle. Got to be up there for fight of the year imo.
    seadnamac wrote: »

Poor card and sh*t thread. Like I said in the boxing forum

don't let the door hit you on the way out if its that **** :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Devastator wrote: »

don't let the door hit you on the way out if its that **** :rolleyes:

Sorry to burst your bubble as I'm sure you're very happy with yourself but I post here regularly. Why don't you have a look at my other posts for yourself? I also happen to post in the Boxing forum as I am a fan of that sport too. Is that OK with you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement