Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 118: Toney vs Couture **spoilers inside**

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

seadnamac wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble as I'm sure you're very happy with yourself but I post here regularly. Why don't you have a look at my other posts for yourself? I also happen to post in the Boxing forum as I am a fan of that sport too. Is that OK with you?

is there any need to put the place down then?

already folk in here who are boxing only.....thats ok, we know they'll turn to MMA soon enough, unless they're just not admitting it yet ;) There are some though that just wanna wind others up so saying "this is ****" ain't gonna move the discussions on past "boxing is crap" vs "MMA is crap" type nonsense which seems to be the underlying tone, well to me anyway.

Lets just enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I'm amazed that anybody thought toney could beat randy tbh.

nobody is gonna practice mma for less than a year and be able
    to beat someone like couture.
    i couldnt ever back a 1/7 shot myself but that really was
    a 1/50 imo, even more so after seeing toney and the
    shape he was in.

it also suprised me how many people though bj would
    beat edgar and easily at that.
    its all about opinions however and ive got it wrong more
    than right when my money was down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

MrStuffins wrote: »
    For your sake you should hope all MMA organisations shun ALL boxers. Because, as mush as boxing "fans" would like to think a boxer would stand a chance against an MMA practicioner in a FIGHT, last night proved that there's no hope!

Even the Mods over on the boxing forum thought Toney would win :pac:

Boxing is dying, MMA is growing and taking it's place and YOU KNOW IT!

Does that include Marcus Davis ?, because I think it would be pretty unfair on the guy seeing as he stopped boxing 10 years ago but he was a boxer before he competed in MMA so should he be shunned ?
    Or is it anyone who has competed in boxing because then Anderson Silva would be out aswell.

No one of the mods who is a big Toney fan thought he would win. While discussing Toney's recent career he refused to accept Toney was shot despite terrible performances vs Batchelder, Oquendo(where he got a gift) and Greer and he was stunned in all 3 of those fights but anyway that's another story. My point is you said mods, so can you tell me what the other mod of the boxing forum thought would happen in this fight ?, I'm just interested to know.

Actually both MMA and boxing are both growing in this country and personally I'm glad of that. Now maybe you wish MMA was growing and boxing was dying her in Ireland but that's not the case and you'll just have to either accept it or ignore it.

Devastator wrote: »
    oh you "suppose" do you :rolleyes: BJ is/was probably the best LW in the UFC!

Why can you not give MMA fighters the same obvious respect you have for boxers (eg, "the long undefeated streak of one of the greatest small men in boxing we've ever seen") you really can't be that bitter.

Do you really have to take up issue with the way I phrased that sentence ?, I mean for god sake would you not have preferred that the main event was a ore competitive fight ?, because from your reaction to my post I can only assume you were not only happy Edgar dominated so easily but you also found that to be much more exciting than if we saw a close 50/50 fight ebbing and flowing either way.

I have great respect for BJ Penn as a fighter, I've seen him fight many times and he truly is a very skilled practitioner who is probably just on the slide now. But boxing is the sport I'm in love with, yes I enjoy a bit of MMA now and then but I don't really love it. So if I don't speak of it in the same enthusiasm as boxing or if I don't talk about it as much don't see it as a slant against the sport of MMA but merely a preference in my own life. I don't have issue with anyone on this forum preferring MMA to boxing and I wouldn't have any problem with MMA fights being of more significance to them than boxing fights, so I don't really see what your problem is.

Anyway it was a fantastic performance by Edgar and well done to him.
    I particularly enjoyed watching his head movement and him illustrating his handspeed and footspood. He could of possibly made a very good boxer had his life gone down another route, a shame for me but I'm sure most people here will be delighted to see him exactly where he is, because he is a fine athlete and why wouldn't they.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Best post ever!

Also, i love Supermacs!

best post ever indeed by roce
    looks like its been deleted.
    i wanted to add my ten cents so badly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭flynny51

All I could during that fight was, someone must be threatening BJ Penns family or something. Even in the locker room and when he walked out. Nothing but a blank look on his face, he did nothing during the fight?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

flynny51 wrote: »
    All I could during that fight was, someone must be threatening BJ Penns family or something. Even in the locker room and when he walked out. Nothing but a blank look on his face, he did nothing during the fight?!

He looked weight drained imo, he certainly had a very vacant look about him and just didn't seem right.

Big Ears wrote: »
    He looked weight drained imo, he certainly had a very vacant look about him and just didn't seem right.

certainly didnt look like the bj that was smiling at edgar
    during the weigh ins.
    very strange alright, didnt look like a guy who was
    pumped at all before the fight.
    he didn't look focused at all imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Does that include Marcus Davis ?

Or is it anyone who has competed in boxing because then Anderson Silva would be out aswell.

Well, as far as Davis is concerned, he boxed professionally, but he was not stupid enough to think he could walk into MMA with just boxing and beat anybody.

By the time he got to into MMA, he was a Mixed Martial Artist. 3 of his first 5 wins were by submission. So no, it doesn't include Marcus Davis.... at all!

It also doesn't include Anderson Silva. Anderson silva is also a Mixed Martial Artist. He holds Black Belts in BJJ, Judo, Tae-Kwon-Do and a Yellow Rope in Capoeira.

See, Boxing is an ASPECT of MMA. So many MMA practicioners have professional Boxing bouts, Kick-Boxing bouts, titles in Wrestling, BJJ etc. To say a particular fighter is a "Boxer" because they have pro boxing fights on their CV isnt exactly accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Do you really have to take up issue with the way I phrased that sentence ?, I mean for god sake would you not have preferred that the main event was a ore competitive fight ?, because from your reaction to my post I can only assume you were not only happy Edgar dominated so easily but you also found that to be much more exciting than if we saw a close 50/50 fight ebbing and flowing either way.

I have great respect for BJ Penn as a fighter, I've seen him fight many times and he truly is a very skilled practitioner who is probably just on the slide now. But boxing is the sport I'm in love with, yes I enjoy a bit of MMA now and then but I don't really love it. So if I don't speak of it in the same enthusiasm as boxing or if I don't talk about it as much don't see it as a slant against the sport of MMA but merely a preference in my own life. I don't have issue with anyone on this forum preferring MMA to boxing and I wouldn't have any problem with MMA fights being of more significance to them than boxing fights, so I don't really see what your problem is.

Anyway it was a fantastic performance by Edgar and well done to him.
    I particularly enjoyed watching his head movement and him illustrating his handspeed and footspood. He could of possibly made a very good boxer had his life gone down another route, a shame for me but I'm sure most people here will be delighted to see him exactly where he is, because he is a fine athlete and why wouldn't they.

Fella, I was asking a question and I appreciate the detailed reply. There honestly was no need. It just sounded a bit like you shunned BJ's achievments. I did say earlier, if you didn't read it I quoted below(thats really not meant to sound patronizing but I couldn't think of another way to say it :confused:), there are few folk on here that just seem to a bit stubborn on wanting to appreciate what possible qualities that a talented boxer could add if acquiring the required mma/wrestling creditinals to see who could at some stage be the better all round fighter and there are other folk that just seem to want to stir the discussion away from what really matters.....I damn good fight are us to enjoy. From your own reply I can see you can appreciate both sports.
    move the discussions on past "boxing is crap" vs "MMA is crap" type nonsense which seems to be the underlying tone, well to me anyway.

Lets just enjoy it!
    flynny51 wrote: »
    All I could during that fight was, someone must be threatening BJ Penns family or something

thats bit weird cause I thought the same thing. Something defintly looked to be effecting him, he looked distant...like he didn't care. Also thought he looked like he had bags under his eyes like he wasn't sleeping, missed the weigh in so don't know how he looked then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I love boxing and am really getting to love mma but this toney fight was ridicoulous.Why let it happen if your the UFC.Imagine a neutral just tuning in to watch this and seeing a guy with no defence who thought he could just ko the other guy get hammered by a veteran.
    What if anything did it do for the credibilty of the sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

is there any need to put the place down then?

already folk in here who are boxing only.....thats ok, we know they'll turn to MMA soon enough, unless they're just not admitting it yet ;) There are some though that just wanna wind others up so saying "this is ****" ain't gonna move the discussions on past "boxing is crap" vs "MMA is crap" type nonsense which seems to be the underlying tone, well to me anyway.

Lets just enjoy it!

Exactly! Which is why I made the comment about this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Just watched Maia's fight since I was away for the event. I was impressed with him. He is improving vastly. He needs to work on his G'n'P and Cardio and keep up the improvements to his striking. If he does that, I am very confident he will be the MW champ when Silva steps away from the division. I am also thinking it might be time for Maia / Marquardt #2 because Maia is a totally different fighter from the first fight.

Advertisement