Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 118: Toney vs Couture **spoilers inside**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    TBH,I really dont think James Toney is Close To Being Broke,at all.

Even if he's not broke, he's getting a payday here that he wouldn't have gotten in boxing.

There is more interest in this fight than there would be in any prospective James Toney boxing match.

Also, he can try use a victory here to get a shot at a title, maybe v Haye who would be an "easier" route than having to get jabbed to death by either Klitchko.

He's in a Win-Win situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

TBH,I really dont think James Toney is Close To Being Broke,at all.

have a look at Evander Holyfield lad

callaway92 wrote: »
    have a look at Evander Holyfield lad

Reckon you'd buy an Evander Holyfield Fat-Reducin' Grillin' Machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

http://rutube.ru/tracks/1030474.html?confirm=e2f7834033a26036277d1e6ea4563ec0&v=3366fedbbf72f2dfdd93417d3a8ed19d

Hmm... Interesting points about Boxing vs. MMA in this episode. Feels appropriate for this thread..

I think after watching the first 20 minutes everyone should skip to 37:00...

51:20 is also quite interesting and relevant in recent weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

More James Toney words of wisdom.....

The guy can hype a fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

At this stage im sick of all James Toney's talk, I see Randy beating down on Toney pretty badly in this one, I dont think any punches will be exchanged on the feet

At this stage im sick of all James Toney's talk, I see Randy beating down on Toney pretty badly in this one, I dont think any punches will be exchanged on the feet

I'm sick of his talk too, mainly because it's so hard to listen to his stupid Punch Drunk ramblings. I can barely understand him!

"My days of being a playboy and a philapa...... erm...... a playboy... are over" :pac:

And whenever he's talking about MMA he's ALWAYS winging it!

"Cain Valasquez... he's got good...... kicks........ and stuff"
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm sick of his talk too, mainly because it's so hard to listen to his stupid Punch Drunk ramblings. I can barely understand him!

"My days of being a playboy and a philapa...... erm...... a playboy... are over" :pac:

And whenever he's talking about MMA he's ALWAYS winging it!

"Cain Valasquez... he's got good...... kicks........ and stuff"
    :pac::pac::pac:

I hear all this talk about how hard he is working but just look at any recent video of him and you can see that he is still out of shape weeks before his fight, he is not taking this fight serious because if he did then the fight would take place at 205, this is not a heavyweight fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I hear all this talk about how hard he is working but just look at any recent video of him and you can see that he is still out of shape weeks before his fight, he is not taking this fight serious because if he did then the fight would take place at 205, this is not a heavyweight fight!

According to Eddie Bravo, Toney's not training at all.

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »

Yup, i had heard this too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fromvert wrote: »

Like I joked about earlier in the thread I really think he is going to pull out or do something like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

rovert wrote: »
    Like I joked about earlier in the thread I really think he is going to pull out or do something like it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did. He only wants publicity so he can get a boxing fight imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Im not much of a Boxing Fan but i know James has 3 titles,sorry if this is a newbie question but How Good of a boxer is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Im not much of a Boxing Fan but i know James has 3 titles,sorry if this is a newbie question but How Good of a boxer is he?

Put it this way, his peak years were around 1992-1995. His last fight that could be described as relevant was in 2006. He has had always had discipline problems, never being able to control his weight being the main problem.

Is/Was really good. Without doubt the best boxer to ever grace the UFC and probably the best Boxer who ever will.

Pity for him he ain't going against Couture in a Boxing match!

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0I86M_3MZg&feature=fvsr

Heres Dana whites first meeting with toney before he signs turn it up a bit if you cant hear :)Listen to what he says about leg kicks :pac:

Dana: Answer my question: Have you ever been kicked in the legs? Have you been working on leg kicks and stuff like that?
    Toney: *Grunt*
    Dana: ...you have been?
    Toney: *Grunt*
    Dana: So you know how to check kicks and you know how to do-
    Toney: Front kick, back kick, all that, side check kick
    Dana: um
    Audience: *Facepalm*

By the way, Toney keeps saying Dana said "Boxers in MMA are better than Pro Boxers".

There's no way he said this surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

Jaysoose wrote: »
    How dana white is selling this as a main event is truly frightening and an insult to MMA fans.
    Id rather see a fight with a guaranteed knockout/submission rather than 5 boring rounds of GSP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Id rather see a fight with a guaranteed knockout/submission rather than 5 boring rounds of GSP

Anything is better than GSP boring the shít out me for 5 long and painful rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

unknown13 wrote: »
    Anything is better than GSP boring the shít out me for 5 long and painful rounds.

dont be bashin gsp :p

• Advertisement

at this stage hard to tell really, but at one stage in his career and at one stage in theirs he has been in there with some of the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

James Toney is without a doubt one of the best inside boxers of the modern era. James is no stranger to being clinched and hugged and believe me he is will able to look after himself in those situations. James best chance of winning this fight could be a sneaky uppercut while Randy is dryhumping him up against the cage :D

Let's not get carried away, Toney is washed up, fat and I'm guessing out of condition. He was once a very very talented boxer, but we're talking mid nineties in his Super Middleweight days. After that he couldn't stop eating and ended up being successful against a bunch of nobodies at Cruiserweight. Like I said before he hasn't had a decent fight in four years.

I don't give him a prayer in this fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

seadnamac wrote: »
    Let's not get carried away, Toney is washed up, fat and I'm guessing out of condition. He was once a very very talented boxer, but we're talking mid nineties in his Super Middleweight days. After that he couldn't stop eating and ended up being successful against a bunch of nobodies at Cruiserweight. Like I said before he hasn't had a decent fight in four years.

I don't give him a prayer in this fight.

THIS ... Couture TKO rd1....i hope he ends it quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jus watched a class vid of Toney spouting off. Don't think it was posted here yet, apologies if it was tho!

He has a Randy action figure with a dress and a purse. I don't know much about boxing but I think this guy definitely took one too many punches to the noggin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Spg2vn-XM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

“AUDIO” UFC 118 “Edgar Vs. Penn 2″ FULL conference call.

http://fighthounds.com/ufc/audio-ufc-118-edgar-vs-penn-2-full-conference-call/

The con calls are usually okay but you just get the same q&a's from the previous weeks recycled but I had to turn this off after 5 minutes. I couldn't take Toney anymore. I knew this fight was always a gimick but my god this guy is just getting annoying now. His answer to EVERY SINGLE qustion: "pay your 59.99 or whatever and tune in, thats it, mumble mumble mumble.

I didn't care about this fight before but now I really hope Randy just crushes him in the 1st round and we never have to hear from Toney again. Saw an interview yesterday where he said he wanted to fight Lesnar hahahahaah

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Anyone know what how much Toney negotiated with the UFC for this match?

Jesus....I've only come across this the last 2 or 3 weeks. But in my opinion. Toney's going to come in overweight by about 5-8 pounds. Look like a Big Country-Mary Harney mutant offspring. And probably going to have a heart attack in the ring once he gets cage raped by Randy. Toney stands a punchers chance. But it's a very slim one. Hope he proves me wrong about the weight.

EDIT: Just realised their fighting at 265. Disregard the weight issue.

To make up for my last fail post.
    Here is a comment I found on Youtube.
    Apparently James Toney is going to get on Randy Couture's level of +30 Years of wrestling experience in 3 months...

(James Toney hooked up to the Matrix)

King Mo: Alright James I'm uploading the submission grappling program.

Toney: Jiu-Jitsu? I'm going to learn Jiu Jitsu?

- 15 seconds later -

Toney: ( shoots upright eyes open gasping for air). I know Kung Fu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone writing off Toney is insane.

Randy does not want to be anywhere near James Toney in a clinch, nor does he want to stand with him and box.

This leaves him with two options, try to wear him down with legs kicks or shoot for a takedown.

The leg kicks option is a very dangerous one as Toney could counter punch him and put him in a lot of trouble.

If he shoots for takedowns which is probably what Toney is expecting, then he's entering uppercut territory.

I think Randy will get a takedown and then win the fight, but there is a real danger that Toney could knock him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Anyone writing off Toney is insane.

Randy does not want to be anywhere near James Toney in a clinch, nor does he want to stand with him and box.

This leaves him with two options, try to wear him down with legs kicks or shoot for a takedown.

The leg kicks option is a very dangerous one as Toney could counter punch him and put him in a lot of trouble.

If he shoots for takedowns which is probably what Toney is expecting, then he's entering uppercut territory.

I think Randy will get a takedown and then win the fight, but there is a real danger that Toney could knock him out.

This is what I'm thinking. Randy has looked very slow in his last few fights so him getting the takedown without taking any damage isn't guaranteed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Randy looked old for his last fight,his movement looked rigid and with less spring than usual.
    I wonder has he done much training with the film and all that.

baaaa wrote: »
    Randy looked old for his last fight,his movement looked rigid and with less spring than usual.
    I wonder has he done much training with the film and all that.

The film wrapped ages ago and i havent seen him do TOO MUCH press for it.

Even if he hasnt been training, neither had Toney. I'm sorry lads, but i can't see this fight going any other way than Randy taking him down, sitting in Half guard and pounding him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

the fight wont even last 1 round

if it actually even last 3 minutes ill be surprised,

its a pointless fight imo, absolutely pointless

i have to admit though, if toney sparks Couture, i reckon ill laugh my skeleton out of my body :D

but it aint gonna happen

in the words of big ears on the boxing forum

James Toney turns 42 on tuesday, and he used to be an amazing fighter down at Middleweight and Super-Middleweight. But what we have left is a 42 year old man, that can't take a punch, hasn't got much power, hasn't got any legs left, doesn't have the same speed or reflexes he used to, has started to suffer big problems in his speech pattern and is also a drugs cheat.

sum's him up well at the moment

Any sign of Countdown to 118 yet? It aired last night so I thought it would be all over the interweb today?

Damn, just found out Nick Osipczak/Greg Soto is on the unaired prelims :(

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Damn, just found out Nick Osipczak/Greg Soto is on the unaired prelims :(

It will probably get shown because Osipczak is going to beat Soto very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

DW interview on Eastsideboxing.com about the fight.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=24864&more=1
    by James Slater - Dana White, the president of The UFC, is, like many of us, looking ahead with intrigue towards this Saturday's James Toney-Randy Couture "Boxing Vs. MMA" contest. White was literally hounded by Toney, and he finally granted "Lights Out" his wish, and got him a big MMA fight. Now, with some other great match-ups also set for the card in Boston, Dana hopes for a good action bout between the men who are legends in their respective sports.

Very kindly taking the time to call me up so as to get his opinions on UFC, MMA and boxing on a boxing website, Dana had the following things to say earlier today:

James Slater: How are you, sir? It's great to be able to speak with you.

Dana White: I'm good, how are you? It's good that we got top speak with a boxing web site, to get you guys' take on the Couture-Toney fight..

J.S: It's our pleasure. First of all, are you looking forward to Saturday's "Boxing Vs. MMA" fight?

D.W: Yes I am. I was with James Toney, we just did a video blog, and he is in the best shape I think I've seen him in years; he's been doing his training. The thing about this fight - even though I fully expect Randy Couture to win, probably by double-legging him and putting him down near the fence and submitting him, something like that - is it is a FIGHT! Anything can happen when two guys are throwing punches at each other. And the reason this fight is happening is because Toney's nuts! He's crazy. He chased me around and then asked for this fight and now he's got it - and now he has to fight!

J.S: You are expecting a good fight then, not a farce as some people have been concerned about?

D.W: Yes. As far as a farce, Randy Couture is a legend, he's been around forever, and the same thing with James Toney. As I say, this is a fight! Anything can happen. But what I did was, I built a great card around it. We have Frankie Edgar-B.J Penn-two, and we have guys like Nate Diaz, Marcus Davis and Kerry Florian in action. So even if Couture does put Toney down and submits him in half a minute, there are still those great fight to see.

J.S: Do you have any regrets at having signed Toney?

D.W: No, not at all. He chased after me, he picked this fight and now he's gotta fight. I'm a fight fan, and I respect James Toney; he's a real guy.

J.S: The fight sure has got a lot of people talking. I am hugely intrigued by it, I must say. I'm not sure how many buys big UFC cards get on pay-per-view, but is it out of the question that Saturday's card gets a million buys?

D.W: It's not out of the question at all. Listen, if you are a fight fan, whether it's boxing or MMA - and I'm a huge fight fan, a boxing fan and historian myself - you will love this card. The thing is, even though I think Couture will win, I don't know for sure. When people say things like, 'oh, who would've won, Ali or Tyson?' no-one can say; the only way to find out is to put 'em in the ring and see. You can break down stats and if you do, Randy Couture will come out on top because he has more tools. But who knows for sure? Saturday night we'll find out!

J.S: Just talking about the Penn-Edgar rematch. Was Penn ill back when he lost in that upset?

D.W: Who knows if he was ill? Many guys have fought in the past when they were ill and had an off night. But Frankie Edgar is one bad little dude, and B.J Penn is one of the best ever. They both have something to prove.

J.S: With the Toney-Couture fight; whoever wins, it won't prove which is the superior sport, boxing or MMA, will it?

D.W: No, it won't. But that started [the debate about which sport was superior] with James Toney. He said Dana White had been shooting his mouth off about MMA being superior, and he said he was the only one who had the balls to try MMA. So that's how that started. I'm not going to tell you that MMA is the most superior fighting sport on earth. Toney said a boxer would beat an MMA fighter in boxing, and I don't dispute that. But boxing is just one tiny piece of MMA, and he challenged us at our sport.

J.S: What would it mean to you if Toney did win on Saturday? Would you try and make a rematch?

D.W: No, there wouldn't be a rematch. We'd put Toney in with another MMA guy, to see how far he can go. And Toney is 42, Couture is 47, so Toney does have the advantage in age. I think the boxing world would love it if Toney won!

J.S: Do you also feel, Dana, that IF Toney won, or even if he put on a great show, that more boxers would "invade" UFC?

D.W: Yeah, I think there probably would be a few more boxers coming out of the woodwork if that happened - and why not?

J.S: Are there any boxers out there now who you think would make the crossover to MMA well?

D.W: I think it would have to be guys with a wrestling background. But let's get past Saturday and see what happens.

J.S: Am I right in saying Boston is your hometown?

D.W: That's right.

J.S: And this is the first big card to take place there since you've been UFC president?

D.W: Yeah, it is. I'm real excited.

J.S: Are there any other boxing or MMA fights that you are looking forward to in the coming months?

D.W: We have a bunch of great fights in MMA. With boxing, I'm looking forward to the one fight the whole world wants to see, which is Mayweather-Pacquiao.

J.S: This is one of the things some boxing fans have talked about; how the big fights get made so much easier in MMA compared to boxing. Is that why people have/are making the switch do you feel?

D.W: Well, the big fights do get made in MMA - and also, you get a bunch of great fights on one card, not just one big fight. The big fights do still get made in boxing, but only once in a blue moon. That said, there really is no reason to switch. If you're a fight fan, you'll love UFC, but there is no reason you cannot go back and watch the big boxing matches when they take place.

J.S: Just talking about Pacquiao-Mayweather; do you think it will ever happen?

D.W: I don't know, man. I don't think Floyd wants that fight. In my opinion, he just doesn't look like he wants that fight.

J.S: Well, it's been great speaking with you, Dana. Can I ask you, whoever wins, is there any chance Toney-Couture goes the distance, or do you see a definite stoppage?

D.W: There's no way in hell this fight goes the distance! (laughs).

J.S: As you say, Toney asked for this fight and now he's got it. We'll all be tuning in, I just hope he doesn't get hurt! Also, I hope this article gets some good intelligent comments from the fans. Some boxing fans seem to see UFC as a threat!

D.W: Well, as long as they're interested in us. Thanks for having an open mind and putting us on a boxing site. There's no reason for the two sports to rival one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Actually enjoyed that interview with Dana, as a fan of both MMA and Boxing it was refreshing to here him say that you can be a fan of both, the whole MMA v Boxing thing is crap and most MMA fans that hate boxing know nothing about Boxing and the same applies the other way too..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Actually enjoyed that interview with Dana, as a fan of both MMA and Boxing it was refreshing to here him say that you can be a fan of both, the whole MMA v Boxing thing is crap and most MMA fans that hate boxing know nothing about Boxing and the same applies the other way too..

Completely agree. It would be like saying you can like only either Soccer or Rugby. the're 2 completely different sports!

I reckon i'd be a bigger fan of MMA than i would be of boxing these days (i watch a lot more MMA than i do boxing), but if there was one dream fight i would love to see, i don't think any MMA fight right now could come close to seeing Floyd step in against Pac Man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupO694JR5U&feature=sub

Dana white video blog with Mike Tyson :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Completely agree. It would be like saying you can like only either Soccer or Rugby. the're 2 completely different sports!

I reckon i'd be a bigger fan of MMA than i would be of boxing these days (i watch a lot more MMA than i do boxing), but if there was one dream fight i would love to see, i don't think any MMA fight right now could come close to seeing Floyd step in against Pac Man!

A real cross over would be BJ v Mayeather/Pacquio.

I would give my left nut to see either of those:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think the rugby and soccer analogy is great. Like a top rugby player would be lucky to make a million euro a year, in fact some of the best rugby players in the world (in Southern Hemisphere) make nothing like this including sponsorship and everything. The top soccer players make 100k a week. So would you ever see a top soccer player playing rugby? No, why would he take a 99% drop in salary. I think the same applies to boxing, the top top guys are not going to to making millions to making thosands.

Secondly, why would a top soccer player play rugby. They'd just get messed up by mediocre people. They'd have a massive target on their back and they'd just be roughed up. It's the exact same in MMA, very few top boxers if any, will be able to get themselves well rounded enough that they wouldn't be out of their depth in the clinch or on the ground.

On the flipside, you'd see plenty of rugby players making a run for it in Soccer if they had the skill levels. Isn't Danny Ciprirani (the spoilt brat celebrity boyfriend rugby players) trying to get into some Championship side soccer team? Nothing to lose there, only $ to gain.

Same with MMA, I'm sure a lot of guys would take pro boxing fights if the $ was there to pay them and they were able to get thier boxing skill high enough (which most couldn't).

• Advertisement

Same with MMA, I'm sure a lot of guys would take pro boxing fights if the $ was there to pay them and they were able to get thier boxing skill high enough (which most couldn't).

Example, Arlovski?

I think the rugby and soccer analogy is great. Like a top rugby player would be lucky to make a million euro a year, in fact some of the best rugby players in the world (in Southern Hemisphere) make nothing like this including sponsorship and everything. The top soccer players make 100k a week. So would you ever see a top soccer player playing rugby? No, why would he take a 99% drop in salary. I think the same applies to boxing, the top top guys are not going to to making millions to making thosands.

Secondly, why would a top soccer player play rugby. They'd just get messed up by mediocre people. They'd have a massive target on their back and they'd just be roughed up. It's the exact same in MMA, very few top boxers if any, will be able to get themselves well rounded enough that they wouldn't be out of their depth in the clinch or on the ground.

On the flipside, you'd see plenty of rugby players making a run for it in Soccer if they had the skill levels. Isn't Danny Ciprirani (the spoilt brat celebrity boyfriend rugby players) trying to get into some Championship side soccer team? Nothing to lose there, only $ to gain.

Man, you think too much. Soccer players don't play rugby and rugby players don't play soccer because they can't. They are two completely different games that require different skills, abilities, characteristics etc etc not to mention the years of specific training.

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Example, Arlovski?

Arlovski tried to have a run as a pro boxer but his chin was terrible and he would get KO'ed by journeymen. AA also got paid $1.5million to fight Fedor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

unknown13 wrote: »
    . AA also got paid $1.5million to fight Fedor.
    Was that his purse?
    You gotta source?

Was that his purse?
    You gotta source?

Yes, I will find a source to prove it. It was paid by Golden Boy Promotions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement