Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 118: Toney vs Couture **spoilers inside**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Here we go:
    Fedor Emelianenko ($300,000 with no win bonus)def. Andrei Arlovski ($1,500,000)
    Josh Barnett ($500,000 with no win bonus)def. Gilbert Yvel ($30,000)
    Vitor Belfort ($200,000 including $80,000 win bonus)def. Matt Lindland ($225,000)
    Renato "Babalu" Sobral ($90,000 including $30,000 win bonus)def. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou ($50,000)
    Paul Buentello ($90,000 including $20,000 win bonus)def. Kiril Sidelnikov ($10,000)
    Dan Lauzon ($23,160 including $11,160 win bonus)def. Bobby Green ($4,000)
    Jay Hieron ($45,000 including $25,000 win bonus)def. Jason High ($10,000)
    Antonio Rogerio Nogueira ($150,000 including $30,000 win bonus)def. Vladimir Matyushenko ($50,000)
    L.C. Davis ($13,500 including $6,500 win bonus)def. Bao Quach ($7,000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Why'd he get that kinda a purse. Was gonna say i thought fedor only got 400,000 but it was even less.

Why'd he get that kinda a purse. Was gonna say i thought fedor only got 400,000 but it was even less.

Don't know. Ask Golden Boy Promotions they paid that, they obviously taught AA was going to be making small money when he started his pro boxing career.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Don't know. Ask Golden Boy Promotions they paid that, they obviously taught AA was going to be making small money when he started his pro boxing career.
    Ah I see. It was to keep him in the mma world then was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

because they were idiots!

Sure wasnt there talk that Affliction paid Oscar de la Hoya something like £5m just to sit ringside?

Off i go to find a source!

Edit: http://mmajunkie.com/news/13835/was-oscar-de-la-hoya-really-paid-5-million-to-attend-affliction.mma

Ah I see. It was to keep him in the mma world then was it?

The problem discussing that purse is:

1. AA didn't even compete in pro boxing in 2009 and subsequently 2010.
    2. Affliction folded this time last year.
    3. Arlovski is now signed to Strikeforce and they will definitely not let him fight pro boxing while under contract. KJ Noons will not be allowed to either until his contract runs out.
    4. Arlovski said after signing to Strikeforce, he is spending alot more time on his ground game which has to mean he is now solely dedicated to MMA not pro boxing.

The problem discussing that purse is:

1. AA didn't even compete in pro boxing in 2009 and subsequently 2010.
    2. Affliction folded this time last year.
    3. Arlovski is now signed to Strikeforce and they will definitely not let him fight pro boxing while under contract. KJ Noons will not be allowed to either until his contract runs out.
    4. Arlovski said after signing to Strikeforce, he is spending alot more time on his ground game which has to mean he is now solely dedicated to MMA not pro boxing.
    So as stuffins said they were basically just idiots.

So as stuffins said they were basically just idiots.

Pretty much.

Boxing promoters that tried to get into MMA fúcked up big time. Gary Shaw and Elite XC (massive cock up) and Golden Boy Promotons (Through money around)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

seadnamac wrote: »
    Man, you think too much. Soccer players don't play rugby and rugby players don't play soccer because they can't. They are two completely different games that require different skills, abilities, characteristics etc etc not to mention the years of specific training.

let me guess you've never boxed, done mma, played rugby or soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Hahahaha...I don't know if that's supposed to be serious or a troll but I found it hilarious nonetheless.

• Advertisement

I once punched and kicked someone on a soccer pitch for playing rugby, so i know what i'm talking about :pac:

hahahaha, i love that James Toney has subtitles! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Watch today's UFC 118 press conference live on Fighthounds.com at 8pm.

http://www.fighthounds.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Is the countdown on at 11 tonight? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Watch today's UFC 118 press conference live on Fighthounds.com at 8pm.

http://www.fighthounds.com
    where? i cant see it:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

very very funny again for this event...

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Is the countdown on at 11 tonight? :D

Worst countdown show the UFC have done in ages. BJ was a moan, Toney was an absolute idiot and Florian was annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

seadnamac wrote: »
    Hahahaha...I don't know if that's supposed to be serious or a troll but I found it hilarious nonetheless.

My brother played rugby for Leinster at a younger age while representing Dundalk at the Foyle Cup.

To say football and rugby can't be crossed is laughable.

• Advertisement

SDTimeout wrote: »
    My brother played rugby for Leinster at a younger age while representing Dundalk at the Foyle Cup.

Did someone say that? :confused:

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Did someone say that? :confused:

Originally Posted by seadnamac viewpost.gif
    Man, you think too much. Soccer players don't play rugby and rugby players don't play soccer because they can't. They are two completely different games that require different skills, abilities, characteristics etc etc not to mention the years of specific training.

Oh for god sake go back and read his post, he was talking about professionals at the highest level of their sports packing up shop and crossing over to the highest level of the other sport.

Way to take me completely out of context. He was talking about 100K a week soccer players deciding to go play rugby at the highest level. Obviously there are sh*t loads of people who play both at lower levels, just like all sports.

Amateur, Semi Pro or Pro, they still need " that require different skills, abilities, characteristics ". The skills needed to score a try are the same at all levels ;)

Amateur, Semi Pro or Pro, they still need " that require different skills, abilities, characteristics ". The skills needed to score a try are the same at all levels ;)

Not if you score a try in Football!

• Advertisement

So I explain how you've taken me out of context and you decide to take me even more out of context. You should write for a tabloid.

Ok, let me recall the Ray Mercer / Tim Sylvia fight. The boxer won in emphatic circumstances, but in this case we replaced Tim Sylvia who aint that good anymore with Randy Couture and Mercer with Toney. Boxing showed once they could beat MMA but the difference this time is that Couture is involved, which should be different because Randy isn't stupid enough to exchange with James Toney.

adamski8 wrote: »
    where? i cant see it:confused::confused:

It's on the sidebar of the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Sherdog 118 preview is right in saying that it is a lose lose situation for Couture.
    Is Randy Couture in a lose/lose situation?

If anyone in MMA deserves to be the recipient of a handicap match, it’s Couture, who -- aside from a brief contract scuffle several years ago -- has been an anyone, anytime kind of fighter and provided the UFC with an engaging and respectful personality to balance out the frothing stereotypes.

The problem with facing someone with such a clear disadvantage is that no one will celebrate a victory: if Couture wins, it’s because Toney was too fat and one-dimensional. If Toney happens to win, it’ll be a black eye for the UFC. The only way Couture could be impressive in victory would be to out-strike Toney. And that’s probably not on the table.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/UFC-118-Primer-26552

My head says that Randy will easily take Toney in the first through submission/GNP but I have seen so many flash knockouts in MMA not to write off a good punch putting Couture on the mat. It is amazing how this fight has garnered more attention than the title rematch. While I do not believe it will prove anything in the MMA v Boxing debate either way it will definitely be entertaining to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Sherdog 118 preview is right in saying that it is a lose lose situation for Couture.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/UFC-118-Primer-26552

My head says that Randy will easily take Toney in the first through submission/GNP but I have seen so many flash knockouts in MMA not to write off a good punch putting Couture on the mat. It is amazing how this fight has garnered more attention than the title rematch. While I do not believe it will prove anything in the MMA v Boxing debate either way it will definitely be entertaining to watch.

I think if randy really takes him out well then yeah it does show that boxing alone isnt enough to get you far in professional mma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Tones69 wrote: »
    I think if randy really takes him out well then yeah it does show that boxing alone isnt enough to get you far in professional mma

you do realise everyone knows 1 sport, any sport like Boxing, BJJ wrestling alone for that matter is not enough to take you far in MMA, all need extras to make them suitable, Wrestling without GnP is not going to be great in fairness!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

Does anyone think Toney can pull off the upset. I've heard he is in amazing shape and isn't going to be relying solely on his boxing skills. Ray Mercer did it, can James Toney? Personally Id love to see it happen :D

well I watched the build up last nite and toneys in brilliant shape. If that shape is a circle!!!! it wont be exiting because couture is too wary of a lucky punch, which everyone has a shot at. It will be over in the first round, either way!

cowzerp wrote: »
    Wrestling without GnP is not going to be great in fairness!

Rashad-Evans-052209.jpg?0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

you do realise everyone knows 1 sport, any sport like Boxing, BJJ wrestling alone for that matter is enough to take you far in MMA, all need extras to make them suitable, Wrestling without GnP is not going to be great in fairness!

Paul you just like to disagree with anything i ever say on here for some reason, ive no interest in getting into an argument but toney has NO interest in learning any aspects of mma, thats what im saying, if randy beats him impressively then yes i do think that it shows you need more than BOXING to get far in pro mma. Not saying im right or wrong but that is my opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MMAFan4Life

sheehy83 wrote: »

Thanks so Much for the UFC 118 COUNTDOWN Link. Great Working Video! Watched the FULL Countdown to UFC 118 Episode...And its High Quality, no Buffering too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

you do realise everyone knows 1 sport, any sport like Boxing, BJJ wrestling alone for that matter is enough to take you far in MMA, all need extras to make them suitable, Wrestling without GnP is not going to be great in fairness!

Well the "extras" needed are the other sports. If you just have wrestling but no bjj you'll get submitted, just boxing but no wrestling you'll get taken down. You're just arguing over the semantics of how to phrase it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Tones69 wrote: »
    Paul you just like to disagree with anything i ever say on here for some reason, ive no interest in getting into an argument but toney has NO interest in learning any aspects of mma, thats what im saying, if randy beats him impressively then yes i do think that it shows you need more than BOXING to get far in pro mma. Not saying im right or wrong but that is my opinion :)

Actually i agreed with you and know your right, but just stated that no 1 sport alone cuts it in MMA, that would include muay thai, boxing and the grappling arts. i dont understand why you think people would think Boxing alone would hack it in MMA, also without been funny if i do disagree with you its not personal, maybe we just have different views of MMA.

ps, i did'nt disagree with you this time anyway!
    Well the "extras" needed are the other sports. If you just have wrestling but no bjj you'll get submitted, just boxing but no wrestling you'll get taken down. You're just arguing over the semantics of how to phrase it.

What?! maybe your been pedantic.

I clearly said you need to be well rounded, 1 part alone does not hack it-where was i been semantic?!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

We've seen time and time again how 1 aspect will get you far, but not far enough.

Look at incredible grapplers like Dean Lister, Alberto Crane etc are World Class at what they do, but aren't well rounded enough to make a splash in MMA.

Great stand up fighters like Kit Cope have come in and failed to make an impression in MMA.

Others like BJ, Demian Maia, Jacare have really recognised that their BJJ isnt enough and with all 3 of these guys, they have recognisably tried to master the stand up aspect of the game. Jacare impressed me with his improved stand up last week, BJ is one of the best boxers in the game and Maia, although he got embarrassed by Silva, looked great on his feet against Jim Miller.

A straight out Boxer going into MMA is like a really good Pole Vaulter competing in Decathlon. You might win the Pole Vault, but if you can't run or throw, you ain't winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

What?! maybe your been pedantic.

I clearly said you need to be well rounded, 1 part alone does not hack it-where was i been semantic?!

I understood your original post as saying you could do it with one sport. I assume that's what the other poster thought too, no disagreement here then! Not sure exactly what you edited in your last post but was it perhaps a little less clear beforehand? if not, not sure how i messed that up

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

toney yesterday
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000569232017

i just ripped up my bet

• Advertisement

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    toney yesterday
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000569232017

i just ripped up my bet

What are we supposed to be looking at?

44482_429977863185_839933185_4886398_7947157_n.jpg

I could be wrong, but what i take from it is...... Toney is finishing his preparation for the fight in this gym, which appears to be a boxing gym.

I could be wrong, but what i take from it is...... Toney is finishing his preparation for the fight in this gym, which appears to be a boxing gym.

I looks like my shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Any links for the full press conference?

Edit: Never mind, got one :D

http://www.mmavideos.pl/press-conference/ufc-118-konferencja-prasowa

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

its at redline fight sports a sanda gym in boston, there are 2 small clips of him doing pad work and in my opinion he looks far from sharp

Watch today's UFC 118 fighter weigh-ins live on Fighthounds.com at 9pm

Why do you keep bringing up that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

So we are able to view videos in relation to the fight???

Might be better than bringing up Dancehounds.com?

• Advertisement

So we are able to view videos in relation to the fight???

Spot on.

Advertisement