Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 118: Toney vs Couture **spoilers inside**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

:pac: How is MMA Like A Circus!
    Boxings so called Chairmen eg (Bob Arum) Should be in the Circus for Ruining Boxing on the Promotion and Managment Side

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Only going to be one way to sort this lads...

We ourselves fight the lads on the boxing forum in an MMA fight . :pac:

We should :pac:
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Only going to be one way to sort this lads...

We ourselves fight the lads on the boxing forum in an MMA fight . :pac:

Don't you mean "fight" them?

:pac:

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Don't you mean "fight" them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    :pac: How is MMA Like A Circus!
    Boxings so called Chairmen(Bob Arum) Should be in the Circus for Ruining Boxing on the Promotion and Managment Side

MMA is not like a circus but the UFC at times is, Kimbo, Toney been 2 examples of fights that are pointless bar the circus around having them on the show.. there a business 1st and bums on seats is all they want.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    MMA is not like a circus but the UFC at times is, Kimbo, Toney been 2 examples of fights that are pointless bar the circus around having them on the show.. there a business 1st and bums on seats is all they want.

Some of this point is right, some is spot on.

But it doesn't change the fact that this kind of criticism coming from Boxing is ridiculous!

Next we're gonna see Football fans criticising GAA and Rugby for players diving and simulating injury!

But lets be Honest UFC Care about there Fans x1000 times more than they do in boxing,by Giving out tickets and hosting Expos before Many UFC Events!:D

But it doesn't change the fact that this kind of criticism coming from Boxing is ridiculous!

Agreed but people need to just not be so sensitive just because its coming from a boxing fan, if an MMA fan said it you'd agree, Boxing is well known for its circus acts too but most of it is out of the ring in fairness..
    most i said!!

But lets be Honest UFC Care about there Fans x1000 times more than they do in boxing,by Giving out tickets and hosting Expos before Many UFC Events!:D

that's very naive buddy, they give tickets away so they can claim sell outs, in germany 4000 where giving to the army due to lack of sales, then they claim a sell out-smart move as bums on seats sounds good-but lets be real here-Dana white is a boxing promoter 1st, then moved to MMA, so believe me when i say they don't care anymore about the fan without money than bob arum, don king etc..

• Advertisement

Agreed but people need to just not be so sensitive just because its coming from a boxing fan, if an MMA fan said it you'd agree, Boxing is well known for its circus acts too but most of it is out of the ring in fairness..
    most i said!!

I didn't actually comment on the Circus part of his comment, i was talking about the fact that he knew the exact number of pounds TOney weighed in at, but he came trolling here anyway.

I agree, this fight is a circus. However, MMA in general is not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭BoxingIrel.com

Taken from the Boxing Forum

Its obvious you know the wnaswer to this question.

Why this guy keeps getting away with trolling is beyond me!

is there any other word you know other than troll!

ssshhh! man settle down and stop being so defensive.

You even thought that me asking what Coutures chin was like was "trolling" despite not even knowing what I was talking about.

settle down and discuss the topic at hand.

Now do you know what Couture was in his prime and what his weight for this fight is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Regardless of his weight in his prime, Randy hasn't had to worry about weight for this fight since he now fights at 205 and weighted in at 220 for this one since it's a heavy weight fight.

Regardless of his weight in his prime, Randy hasn't had to worry about weight for this fight since he now fights at 205 and weighted in at 220 for this one since it's a heavy weight fight.

thanks for that sensible response.

I assume that the HW limit is 200lb for MMA as well!?

Now do you know what Couture was in his prime and what his weight for this fight is.

Yes i do.

You assume wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_weight_classes

• Advertisement

The Heavyweight limit in MMA is 205 pounds -> 265 Pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Its not a circus, its just after turning into a buisness. Like most things do when they get to a certain level.

Stuffins, chill we don't want this turning into another MMA FANS vs MMA Attenders only in MMA vs Boxing. The guy is just asking questions there's no need to bite the head off him if he gets something wrong.

It's why rovert left these threads :pac:

The Heavyweight limit in MMA is 205 pounds -> 265 Pounds

thanks.

does that mean there is a superheavyweight division?

• Advertisement

Guys can we get back on Topic about UFC 118 Please

thanks.

Well in Dream and pride(i think) There was for fighters above 120KG(265) Pounds.
    Bob Sapp for example Youtube him

thanks.

Nope, Dana white has himself said he doesn't want to bring one. The WEC recently had one but cut it.

I can seeing it being the downfall of brock after a few fights the cut from 300 may be too much for him.

thanks.

There you go

Nope, Dana white has himself said he doesn't want to bring one. The WEC recently had one but cut it.

I can seeing it being the downfall of brock after a few fights the cut from 300 may be too much for him.

its been said before, but it would be interesting to see a HW class at 206 - 235 and a SHW at 236 - 265

Back On Topic.

I Honestly think BJ Will beat edgar if he pressures him and Makes Him fight his Fight!
    If BJ Sits back edgar will just use his speed and do more of the same!

Back On Topic.

I Honestly think BJ Will beat edgar if he pressures him and Makes Him fight his Fight!

actually this is a Toney v Couture thread.

there is another UFC 118 general discussion thread

actually this is a Toney v Couture thread.

there is another UFC 118 general discussion thread

No the OP Thought the event was labeled UFC 118:Couture vs Toney
    So really its a discussion thread

Back On Topic.

BJ looks frighteningly under-confident, is it just me who notices?

He even said he wouldn't be 10/10 tonight, that when he gets into the cage he'll be "about 10".

Not the same guy who says he wants to be remembered for being the best the sport has ever seen

He even said he wouldn't be 10/10 tonight, that when he gets into the cage he'll be "about 10".

Not the same guy who says he wants to be remembered for being the best the sport has ever seen

Well i honestly think him losing the belt kind of lifted all the pressure and expectation from people off his shoulders.
    He said he wants to just be a fighter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I watched an interview with BJ and he was saying that he didn't over do the training and did a lot of relaxing. Not what I wanted to here.

Fromvert wrote: »
    I watched an interview with BJ and he was saying that he didn't over do the training and did a lot of relaxing. Not what I wanted to here.

BJ Really should have killed himself training for the fight!
    If he doesnt win i dont know whats next for him

Excuse me, my retard typing sometimes doesn't do me any favours.

BJ in fact said he'd be "about 9" :o

Excuse me, my retard typing sometimes doesn't do me any favours.

BJ in fact said he'd be "about 9" :o

Ya that was weird :pac:

BJ Really should have killed himself training for the fight!
    If he doesnt win i dont know whats next for him

This was always a problem, how can you keep BJ, a lazy guy, motivated?

If he smashes Edgar tonight, he might be able to get motivated for Gray if Gray opens his mouth.

Otherwise, the only thing left for him i think is to move to WW and work his way toward a GSP rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Maybe I'm missing something, but why did Couture take this fight? If he wins, all he has done is beat a well past his best Toney and if he loses, he looks like an idiot?

kev9100 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why did Couture take this fight? If he wins, all he has done is beat a well past his best Toney and if he loses, he looks like an idiot?

With Randy i reckon it's about the challenge. He probably wants to see if he can beat a boxer of Toney's calibre.

Oh, and perhaps the Cash Money had something to do with it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,779 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Haven't read all the posts, but the smart money is on Toney here.

He wins fairly or by fix, one or the other. This is big business, and IMO it makes little sense after all this hype, for the boxer, Toney, to lose.

If it's a fair fought fight I would back Toney to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

walshb wrote: »

He wins fairly or by fix, one or the other. This is big business, and IMO it makes little sense after all this hype, for the boxer, Toney, to lose.

Jesus, what do you consider to be smart money???

• Advertisement

No way Bren, yes in a striking match but not in an MMA match with an experienced well rounded fighter such as Randy who has some boxing and is also considered a black belt level BJJ fighter aswell as top class greco and freestyle wrestler-he can neutralise james easily, even james's style is not suited for MMA,

His style of blocking and not moving his feet is a nightmare against a grappler who wants to get close to the legs for a takedown, also when he goes down its not a boxing match anymore, he will be like a fish out of water.

Toney at peak would struggle, now its just too much unless randy is stupid and plays toneys game, which he wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

im looking foward to diaz/davis and ken flo/maynard ... should be 2 wars.

i hope toney knocks couture out with his very first punch :D:D

bj is gonna have to be at his very best to beat frankie,i think he will and i reckon edgar is going to be submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Where did you get that from? The only way Toney can win is in the first round with a lucky punch and whats more, Toney is out of shape and weighs 230+. After one round, he will be exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Fix?? Ah Jaysus, no offence Walsh but first BoxingIrl and now you. Would ye ever feck off back to the boxing forum if that's what ye're going to come out with you wouldn't be throwing around fight fixing accusations over there now would you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

A ledgendary mma fighter like Couture, who loves his sport, won't throw this fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

How much do you know about MMA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

An mma debutant vs an mma veteran. The smart money is on randy couture.
    This fight is a gimmick fight and its hyped so more boxing fans will be attracted to watch the ufc and if they like what they see they might watch it again.
    And why would the ufc fix it so that one of the faces of the organisation would lose to a debutant boxer

seadnamac wrote: »
    Fix?? Ah Jaysus, no offence Walsh but first BoxingIrl and now you. Would ye ever feck off back to the boxing forum if that's what ye're going to come out with you wouldn't be throwing around fight fixing accusations over there now would you?!

No no, coz the world of PRO boxing is ever so clean and honest and above board.

Anywhere there is big money and hype there is "potential" for wheeling and dealing, and that applies to boxing too, of all sports, more to boxing I would say...

Fromvert wrote: »
    How much do you know about MMA?

Will this question still apply should Toney win?

Will this question still apply should Toney win?

Dont worry He Wont.

kev9100 wrote: »
    Where did you get that from? The only way Toney can win is in the first round with a lucky punch and whats more, Toney is out of shape and weighs 230+. After one round, he will be exhausted.

Are you in Toney's camp to know exactly what cardiological ' shape he is in?

Have you been monitoring his fitness or something?

Looks can be very deceiving. The guy has had many boxing fights whilst 230 and his stamina has been grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement