Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Installation - on Saturday?

• 03-08-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Are they install on Saturdays?

I will be moving to The square and i wonder can I order upc broadband installation for saturday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

ha ha ha ha did upc tell you that

that is priceless.

Not a hope mate the couriers close out in finglas on the friday at 6pm.

I was told I would have it friday morning by upc customer care so I waited and rang all day friday and saturday too no avail.

rang again monday morning and got it monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

i had upc broadband installed on a sat morning not long ago, guy arrived in the allocated time slot and took him less than 15 mins, was delighted with the service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I was also told installation could be done on a Saturday.
    ha ha ha ha did upc tell you that

that is priceless.

Not a hope mate the couriers close out in finglas on the friday at 6pm.

You sounded so sure of yourself, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,594 ✭✭✭✭ted1

couriers don't do installations ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

yes upc engineers do installations on Saturdays

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've seen them a few times in my estate on Saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've also had mine installed on a Saturday.

I hate the way they have to use your computer to set it up though. Would it kill them to have their own one?

but they install the software you need to manage your wifi account on your laptop so you can change your password etc. why would they do that on their laptop???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

starfish12 wrote: »
    but they install the software you need to manage your wifi account on your laptop so you can change your password etc. why would they do that on their laptop???

You can just manually visit 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.100.1 to change those settings :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They don't install anything. Once it's set up you just connect to the router.

They just seem to need a computer to set up the initial line sync.

It's just they tend to panic when your computer is anything other than a Windows PC.

• Advertisement

of course you can, was merely justifying why they would use your laptop

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think they do it to set up the security and configure the passwords on your machine. It shows that they have a full working end to end connection.

I used to work in Eircom and the most calls i got where in relation to setting up WEP and storing the password on the machine. It irked customers that they got the hardware, set it all up correctly and then couldnt connect wirelessly out of the box.

of course you can, was merely justifying why they would use your laptop

You implied they needed to install software, that is not the case, even if there is software available for that modem to "help" access the config page it is not needed, your laptop should have wifi drivers etc installed already

Nick

i had upc installed, on a saturday, the guy used my laptop, he installed software, and checked that i was happy that it was all working correctly etc. and showed me how to change my password using the software he had installed. Of course there are other ways to do this and yes my laptop has wifi drivers. its merely showing decent customer service and minimising calls back to their customer care line that might take place if they used their own laptops to set it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

i got my upc broadband on a saturday no problems

i had upc installed, on a saturday, the guy used my laptop, he installed software, and checked that i was happy that it was all working correctly etc. and showed me how to change my password using the software he had installed. Of course there are other ways to do this and yes my laptop has wifi drivers. its merely showing decent customer service and minimising calls back to their customer care line that might take place if they used their own laptops to set it up.

Clever idea alrite, I still have the old SA modem/Netgear combo so wasn't sure the new all in one came with such a tool, good idea actually as its frustrating how confusing it is to tell people where the "address bar" is in the browser before even starting to explain how to change the security key :)

Nick

Advertisement