Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord reference help

Options
  • 03-08-2010 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I've signed a lease on a new house with some friends and I've been asked to get a reference from my last landlord.
    I lived in a house with two sisters, it was their mother's house. I paid monthly rent in to their bank account etc. Thing is I really never saw them! I was out from morning to night every day, home at weekends and when I was in the house I was in my room. I honestly must've seen them twice! I didn't even see them when I left the house for good.
    Now I don't know what to do. Do I need to contact them? Is it obligatory to get a reference? Any help appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

You could just say you were living at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

I don't know if this is possible! The letting agent asked if any of us had rented before & my friend pointed at me and so I had to tell him I had rented. He asked where I had gotten the room from and I said Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Most LL just want a reference that says you paid your rent/bills on time and didn't destroy the place.

I had a similar problem where I lived in a student house and the first time I rented properly my former LL had no idea what to put in the reference!

I would say you should just contact the sisters (if your still in contact) explain that your renting again and that you need a reference. There should be no problem and if there is you can always just tell the Agent that they never really saw you and that they're not comfortable giving you a reference but in all honesty I can't see them not giving you a reference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

Make one up. Put down one of your parents mobile numbers. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

If you have already signed the lease just tell them no. They wont do anything as you have already signed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement