Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless network problem with two routers

Options
  • 03-08-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have two separate wireless networks. For convenience (sockets / network jacks), both wireless access points are located right beside each other.

Once is a belkin one and the other is a netgear one.

I am seeing strange behaviour with clients sometimes having trouble connecting to to the AP's occasionally. Its an intermittant problem at best that I originally put down to a problm with one of the AP's hardware (eg: needed a new one)....but now I am starting to wonder if the issue is actually got to do with the two units being located so close together?

Does anyone know what the best practice is with locating these near each other and/or if this could be the cause of the problems that I am intermittantly seeing.

Note that both AP's are operating on different channels (far apart).

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Do they share the same SSID(Network Name)? Are the clients associated with both access points?

Out of curiosity what’s the convenience?

Having the channels far apart should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Do they share the same SSID(Network Name)? Are the clients associated with both access points?

Out of curiosity what’s the convenience?

Having the channels far apart should suffice.

Nope, separate SSID's. Convenience is just proximity to their respective hardwired networks and not having to run a CAT5 to a new location for one or other of them.

So, it sounds like location (eg: right beside each other) should not be the cause of the problem. Maybe it is hardware afterall.

Jab

Maybe try tweak the security settings a little and see if it makes any odds. Also do you have a copy of inssider? Run a scan and see if any other wlan overlaps with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Maybe try tweak the security settings a little and see if it makes any odds. Also do you have a copy of inssider? Run a scan and see if any other wlan overlaps with yours.

Hmm...the plot thickens.....Inssider shows one of the WLAN's but not the other....however, interestingly, I have a device sitting right beside the laptop with Inssider that is connected to the network that inssider cannot see.

I have even tried setting the network that cant be seen to have no security to see if inssider could see it....yet nothing??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

barmy?!!!

Any ideas?

Jab

Is the invisable wlan definately broadcasting its ssid? Also try disassociate the laptop your running inssider on and try again - I never had to though. Have you checked the AP's are running the latest firmware? Check the drivers for your wireless card too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement