Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is €10.95 expensive for a fish and chips?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Maybe its cause I haven't eaten out much lately but I did get a bit of a shock when I went into a sit down chip-shop and this is what they were asking for a fish and chips, no word of a side-dish or even mushy peas! We left and went to another place a mile away and got the same thing for €8.90 , coleslaw, side-salad, portion of peas, included, maybe I'm just getting old!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Depends on where it is and what fish it is. Fresh cod is pretty expensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

To take away this in New Ross cost € 7.90 and it was € 7.90 over 3 years ago.

Its about time these places reduced their prices in accordance with everything else .

A bag of chips has been € 2.30 for many years now .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Bloody hell, that is dear OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Depends on where it is and what fish it is. Fresh cod is pretty expensive these days.

That may be it , I've been taking packed lunches recently and trying to stop eating out so maybe I'll get up a bit earlier tomorrow morning and make a lunch again , anyway I love the taste of tea from a flask especially when the teabags have been left in it and its really strong!! Sorry I wont say where or what restaurant, jobs are hard to come by these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Fish and Chips to take-away in Carlow cost € 5.40 + € 2.30 = € 7.70

http://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-caferoma/menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

there is a famous chip show down this direction and it's pretty expensive to have a sit in meal in think it's about 9.50 for fish and chips prices never came down in the place even with the downturn must double check the prices again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I was just listening to a discussion about this on Newstalk last week, the price can vary by huge amounts depending on the fish they serve, cod is one of the most expensive now, and if its fresh rather than frozen, it will be over €10 in a take-away, if its pollock, coley or talipila it should be well under €10 (the guy on the radio was saying alot of places serve rock salmon now, which is dogfish, you can see why they changed the name:D)
    Of course, there'll always be the places serving the best of food for cheap and others that charge a fortune for dogfish:D

Cheers for the help with that guy's !
    Well we went back to the same chip-shop today for a quick take away and had two bags of chips, €5 ! Lovely chips but still !!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Wow, half lobster and chips with a wee salad, special this week in pub in Rosbeg. Euros 11, swurtegawd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Was in a chip-shop near Station Roundabout recently, €8 for fish and chips and they were shíte!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

We got a couple of bags of chips from a chip shop in Letterkenny at the weekend. When we got home and opened them, they were really terrible - little dark brown hard bits like you would find at the bottom of the fryer. There were only a few edible chips in the 2 bags.

Now, like most Irish people, we are bad complainers. However they were so bad that my wife decided she was taking them back. The lady in the chip shop had a look at them and said they were perfect, nothing wrong with them. She said that she wouldn't give us a replacement bag as they'd be exactly the same!

Good to see exemplarary customer service is alive and well in Letterkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Haven't eaten fish since I don;t know when.. costs far too much for what it is.

For an island surrounded by sea that is bad.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Lads you can pay 6Eur for fish and chips in places and the quality is ****.
    You can also pay 10+Eur and the quality is good.

IMO 6eur spent on something that tastes awful is a waste of money even if it is a bargain. Id much rather pay more for something i know will be unreal.

Fish and chips in my local chipper in Cork runs at about €8.50, There is a chipper closer to me where i can get fish and chips for €6 but it tastes awful and the portions are terrible.

You get what you pay for (most of the time ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Monzo wrote: »
    Was in a chip-shop near Station Roundabout recently, €8 for fish and chips and they were shíte!

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, they used to be great - we drove from Lifford for a take-away there, insulated bag in the boot. Lately, not so good, not dependable, so not worth the effort :( I've learned how to make the most fantastic beer batter myself since (must be fried in dripping) at a fraction of the cost so a win for me and a lose for that chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

puffdragon wrote: »
    Maybe its cause I haven't eaten out much lately but I did get a bit of a shock when I went into a sit down chip-shop and this is what they were asking for a fish and chips, no word of a side-dish or even mushy peas! We left and went to another place a mile away and got the same thing for €8.90 , coleslaw, side-salad, portion of peas, included, maybe I'm just getting old!!

yes........complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fergywergy

shouldnt be payin more then 10 euro for fish and chips unless your in a restaurant...

My brother and his wife stopped in the Granian of Ailiach hotel on way back from Derry on Sunday ,Two turkey and ham dinners ,tea,jug of water, veg on the side
    €21 ,

Advertisement