Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 117 - Discussion ***MOD NOTE POST 909***

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Cheers for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

My picks

Almost all of the left side of the draw!

Hazelett over Story was a particularly tough one to pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

rovert wrote: »
    Cheers for the link.

Likewise Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Stuffins, you should have chosen all the left side, Big Country will be taking this one :D Can't wait to see that fight!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Stuffins, you should have chosen all the left side, Big Country will be taking this one :D Can't wait to see that fight!

I wasn't too sure but my desire to see Big Country get punched repeatedly in the face until he can't talk any more took over!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I wasn't too sure but my desire to see Big Country get punched repeatedly in the face until he can't talk any more took over!

HAHAHHAAH :D

Countdown is class, best quote is by Silva so far!! When They were both at a fan expo, Sonnen said Silva wouldn't even look at him.

Silva says "Come one Chael, if you you were a hot looking chick with big butt and nice breasts I would look at you all the time but look at you....You're dirty, you stick...you smell like a bear"

Hahaha please sonnen back up those words and put Silva down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Two bets that caught my eye on PP:

Hughes on points: 11/4
    Almeida by sub: 11/4

Hazelett over Story was a particularly tough one to pick!

Hardest fight by a mile to pick. The rest are easy to pick but that fight IMO has a SD written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

unknown13 wrote: »
    Two bets that caught my eye on PP:

Hughes on points: 11/4
    Almeida by sub: 11/4

Almeida wins this by RNC in the second round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Man this card is stacked. Even the undercard looks great

Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva (c) vs. Chael Sonnen[1]
    Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves[1]
    Lightweight bout: Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos[1]
    Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida[1]
    Heavyweight bout: Roy Nelson vs. Junior dos Santos[1]

LETS GO JUNIOR!

-Edit- Just noticed the main card all feature Brazilians VS Americans, arnt i great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gamby

Hey guys,

I always watch the fights streamin, is there anywhere that plays the fights in pubs or anything like that...

I know its after hours and all, but some places stay open late...

Worth a shot if anyone knows anywhere it'd be great

Thanks
    Gamby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

pre fight press conference is airing now on bjpenn.com if anybody is interested...

http://www.bjpenn.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ShanklyKopite

I cant wait for dis fight i hope Anderson destroys Sonnen especially after de comments sonnen made about Lance Armstrong and his cancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Anyone have a link to the repeat of the press conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I cant wait for dis fight i hope Anderson destroys Sonnen especially after de comments sonnen made about Lance Armstrong and his cancer

that wasn't true...it was a lie...saw it on sherdog earlier

callaway92 wrote: »

Sonnen says it isnt him:
    On the Jim Rome Show today he was asked about his controversial comments about Lance Armstrong and he claimed he never said any of that and had spoke to Lance denying everything. So Rome said, well, I've got an audio recording of it right here. He played it and then Chael calmly said, "Jim, that doesn't sound anything like me." He said the callers should call in and tell them if that sounded like him. "Sounds like a guy with a Hispanic accent to me."

It was said Silva was very intense at the press conference:
    ak9vut_medium.jpg

callaway92 wrote: »

I won't believe it unless i read it on MMA Bay!

bret69 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the repeat of the press conference?

the one above still has it up there mate, just click on it and have a look ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Great card.
    My predictions:
    Silva will KO Sonnen in round 1.
    Fitch will grind out a decision win. As will Almeida.
    JDS will (t)ko Nelson round 2.

It was said Silva was very intense at the press conference:

it was by far the funniest press conference i have ever watched and should be watched. silva was very chilled and very funny throughout. the only intensity he showed was posing for pics post conference which is where the pic is from.

• Advertisement

Why is the UFC site sucking? Its so slow to update lately. Still has post fight **** from Live on Versus

Really enjoyed the press conference. Especially Chael's Portuguese corrections on Soares.

Looking forward to this card. All solid fights with some tasty match ups. Personally I think Chael is going getting his face smashed regardless of what he says and what he intends on doing.

Why is the UFC sucking? Its so slow to update lately. Still has post fight **** from Live on Versus

noticed that alright, same with the dana white blogs, he doesn't bother too much with them anymore either for some reason and when he does they are not great.
    might send him a twitter and ask him what the story is with both actually, interesting to see if he gets back(i am sure he won't:P)

Really enjoyed the press conference. Especially Chael's Portuguese corrections on Soares.

TBH, Soares is a bit of a hinderance. He is the Buzz Killington of MMA. Strong Rumors float around that Anderson will be fighting here and there and then he turns around and says that Anderson is not fighting until some certain month.

Im watching it now.

I'm watching now

Thiago laughing at Chael's answer to the "under the weather" question had me in stitches!

And Chaels steely gaze never broke for a second.

This is brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

For some reason i think Big Country will win. Brock Lesner vs Roy Nelson would be a weird but interesting match.

Niall0 wrote: »
    For some reason i think Big Country will win. Brock Lesner vs Roy Nelson would be a weird but interesting match.

I never thought about this before but i actually thing Big Country would be a tougher Match-Up for Brock than Dos Santos or Cain!

• Advertisement

Niall0 wrote: »

I believe in Roy he is someone who can weather the storm and who can control things on the ground. I really hope he wins.

The press conference was fun, Alves was in stitches sitting beside Sonnen.

Good aul Chael

"I ran for public office and won 99.6% of the vote"

"Was that the one which was unopposed?"

"..er... that's correct"

HAHAHAHA!!!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

I Nearly Pissed Myself when the vote joke came out....alves went red with laughter:pac:

You all crazy to think to think Nelson gonna beat Junior. Did you see the size difference between the two at the presser. JDS looks alot bigger compared to Nelson. Im just worried about one thing though. I noticed during the Gonzaga fight JDS likes to land shots to his opponents stomach. What happens if he tries that on Nelson?!?!?!?!?!?!1

Lets go Junior, first round KO, uppercut at 3:16 in the first round, MARK MY WORDS!

You all crazy to think to think Nelson gonna beat Junior. Did you see the size difference between the two at the presser. JDS looks alot bigger compared to Nelson. Im just worried about one thing though. I noticed during the Gonzaga fight JDS likes to land shots to his opponents stomach. What happens if he tries that on Nelson?!?!?!?!?!?!1

Lets go Junior, first round KO, uppercut at 3:16 in the first round, MARK MY WORDS!

Yeah, i was looking forward to their square off to see the size difference between them.

I just hope that Dos Santos is weary of his Overhand Right.

You all crazy to think to think Nelson gonna beat Junior. Did you see the size difference between the two at the presser.

You are making the mistake of just looking at height.

• Advertisement

You are making the mistake of just looking at height.

Everyone knows the taller you are, the tougher you are!

Worked for Stefan Stru......... no, wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Just watched it. Dana: "And yes, Jon Fitch will fight Josh Koscheck if Josh Koscheck wins." Dana proceeds to chuckle to himself, looks around for some people to join him in laughing at that lame joke, finds nobody and continues his little giggle to himself.. Chael starts to laugh, not with him, but at him. Brilliant, Dana's just unfunny and should stick to picking out reporters, not making jokes.. :P

Chael correcting Soares had me in stitches.

Chael is hilarious, even when he probably loses this fight, I hope we get more main cards with him on them, just for the press conferences.

Thiago's reactions to Chael were great too.

I'm starting to think it's Ed Soares that is the reason that Anderson won't speak English. In JDS' interview with Ariel he was speaking fairly fluenty and in the press conference he wouldn't speak a word. I think one of the other posters summed it up well. To steal his line, he's the Buzz Killington of MMA.

Didn't particularly like Clay Guida's Oscar-worthy speech.

Staredown was worthy of Wanderlai Silva. Especially Anderson keeping a straight face throughout it, you can really tell he's pissed off.

On a side note, wow Anderson, nice watch :eek:

Anderson was awesome in the staredown. I was almost scared for Sonnen from here!

Everyone knows the taller you are, the tougher you are!

Worked for Stefan Stru......... no, wait.....

Stefan's problem is that he hasnt realised that he is allowed to use his height and reach in a MMA fight.

Stefan's problem is that he hasnt realised that he is allowed to use his height and reach in a MMA fight.

and there is a 265 pound weight limit in HW not 240 pounds.

• Advertisement

And that if you're that tall, you shouldn't stick your head in the air to be a massive target for an overhand right!

Jaysus Sonnen is so riled up at the presser! Love the little dig to Soares!

I honestly can't see how punches can affect the big belly. I'm more interested in this fight then the Silva Sonnen circus!

I really think Big Country will take it, but either way will be a great fight and 2 great opponents for Lesnar/Cain (most likely Lesnar but wouldn't it be sweet to see Cain completely KO him!)

I could only find the press conference highlights but found the full one here (current vid is countdown to weigh in's) http://mmajunkie.com/news/20166/watch-todays-ufc-117-press-conference-live-on-mmajunkie-com-at-4-p-m-et.mma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Best press conference ever. Sonnen is hilarious. Silva threw a few digs back. And the stare down at the end. Jayzis the weigh ins will be more intense, is that possible?

Goin for Fitch, Junior, Silva, Hughes

the reason he is not a big heavy weight yet lads is because he is 22 only and his motabalism hasn't paced out yet, i would guess he has a fast motabalism and finds it hard putting on weight, in a few years he will be a huge heavy weight and will be a hand full for any of them.

i see big potential there.

odds on pp.com
    Phil Davis 1/8
    Junior Dos Santos To Win in Round 1 5/4
    Jon Fitch To Win On Points7/4
    Anderson Silva To Win in Round 1

5e gets back 90e for an accumulator for the above

gonna go for it i think

odds on pp.com
    Phil Davis 1/8
    Junior Dos Santos To Win in Round 1 5/4
    Jon Fitch To Win On Points7/4
    Anderson Silva To Win in Round 1

5e gets back 90e for an accumulator for the above

gonna go for it i think

What!! I know nothing bout gambling but if this is right, i'm gonna do it. Do I just go into any PP and say I want an accumulator and give them the above details or do they have a ready made bet for it?

Thanks!

Just saw a vid with Silva saying he will not be moving to 205 "I have no desire for the LWH belt. Other people deserver it...like Machida. He deserves an instant rematch" I'm sick of this nut hugger! I know they are friends but come on, Shogun desereved the belt and showed just how much in the 1st round! Would love to see Rampage beat Machida but just can't see that happening. Cmon Chael!!! even if you lose me a fiver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Ben Saunders,
    Matt Hughes,
    Clay Guida,
    Junior Dos Santos,
    Thiago Alves
    Chael Sonnen. 5€ = 250.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Ben Saunders,
    Matt Hughes,
    Clay Guida,
    Junior Dos Santos,
    Thiago Alves
    Chael Sonnen. 5€ = 250.

Is this Paddy Power as well? This couldn't be right???

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Is this Paddy Power as well? This couldn't be right???

the odds wouldn't be as strong in the pp shop i would say due to overheads compared to website dude

get your debit card out:P

the odds wouldn't be as strong in the pp shop i would say due to overheads compared to website dude

get your debit card out:P

damn i'm such a noob! im on paddy power site now, how do you pick an accumulator and does it say how much you will win if you enter an amount?

• Advertisement
Advertisement