Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 117 - Discussion ***MOD NOTE POST 909***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Spoke twice, Two erruptions of laughter.

Silva , Sonnen TUF ?

Awesome idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Chael: I'll go on a diet and take on Jose Aldo, if you've got a belt, I'm coming for you! :pac:

Chael: "I'd go on a diet and go after Jose Aldo"

HAHAHAHA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Awesome idea!

Not sure it would happen with Silva's lack of English but Chael could carry the show on his own.

With Anderson talking about his ribs like that, I think Chael's entitled to tell people that he had 2 broken arms going into the fight...

Fromvert wrote: »
    Not sure it would happen with Silva's lack of English but Chael could carry the show on his own.

Chael could coach both teams and it would still get even higher ratings!

Nog was ok on it though.

How wrong is it that i want Gareth A. Davis to die?

How wrong is it that i want Gareth A. Davis to die?

The English guy?

• Advertisement

ScareGilly wrote: »
    The English guy?

Yeah, he asked Silva a question there. I can't stand the guy!

Yeah, he asked Silva a question there. I can't stand the guy!

IMO, I'd think it was wrong if you didn't want to kill him!

Nog was ok on it though.

Nog's English is miles better then Silva's. He doesn't try to answer in English ever. Even JDS with his little bit of English tries to answer in English.

Nog's English is miles better then Silva's. He doesn't try to answer in English ever. Even JDS with his little bit of English tries to answer in English.

Yeah, JDS's English is actually pretty good.
    Its a pity because Sonnen and Silva would be awesome on TUF. Chael STILL hates the guy

"If the commissioner would sanction and Dana would move i'd fight him right now!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

If Dana wasn't in the way and the comissioner would sanction it. I'd fight him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Chael was still crass but he toned the trash down, if he can just keep that up. . .

• Advertisement

Is mmaweekly the new sherdog? Just seen a load of comments there saying "Chael got his ass whooped!" and "Anderson destroyed Chael!"... What a load of tits..

Chael was still crass but he toned the trash down, if he can just keep that up. . .

Its absolutely killing the guy that he lost!

He did ALL of the promo for this fight! He told everyone it would be a one-sided beat down and it was............ and he STILL lost!

Gutted for the guy!

Score cards here http://tweetphoto.com/37591259

A few judges gave Sonnen a few 10-8 rounds.

Is mmaweekly the new sherdog? Just seen a load of comments there saying "Chael got his ass whooped!" and "Anderson destroyed Chael!"... What a load of tits..

The only MMA message board i use is this one. Keyboard warriors do my head in and those message boards are full of these "i told you so" sad-acts!

The posters here have their heads screwed on most of the time.

(Although when Brock is involved it all goes out the window)

And rightfully so IMO

(ps... why do the judges write upside down?)

• Advertisement

(Although when Brock is involved it all goes out the window)

I'm guessing thats when the WWF fans come in? :P

I'm guessing thats when the WWF fans come in? :P

Nah, there a lot of posters who just don't like Brock because of his WWE days (i gotta admit, i didnt like Brock at first either).

There was murder in the UFC 116 thread about the Carwin fight (i don't know if you saw the fight).

People saying the fight should've been stopped. Thats fine!

But then people started saying the UFC fixed the fight, or the ref fixed the fight.... just crazy stuff that would NEVER be said had the fight not involved Brock.

Brock has the power to turn this place very strange :pac:

Right, gotcha, Well now they have more fuel for the fire, Josh Rosenthal with another big decision :rolleyes: Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Well, I don't think im checking out from this sort any time soon :D

Anyone know a good site to just learn all about UFC rules, tactics (Like all the ground work terminology) etc ?

Well, I don't think im checking out from this sort any time soon :

Anyone know a good site to just learn all about UFC rules, tactics (Like all the ground work terminology) etc ?

I'm not too sure, but for me, the best way is just to learn by watching.

I'll PM you now, hold on.........

Once you start to watch fights more frequently you'll pick up what everything is :)

Also, learning jiu-jitsu is probably the best road to go down if you want to understand everything that goes on on the ground.

Once you start to watch fights more frequently you'll pick up what everything is :)

Also, learning jiu-jitsu is probably the best road to go down if you want to understand everything that goes on on the ground.

It also helps that learning BJJ is the balls! Its incredible!

It also helps that learning BJJ is the balls! Its incredible!

Only had 4 or 5 classes in it so far, but even from them, its unreal, really makes you think as well.

Only had 4 or 5 classes in it so far, but even from them, its unreal, really makes you think as well.

I've tried my hand at most of the major Martial Arts and the only one where i actually thought i was learning in every class was BJJ!

Although i used to learn while taking Kyokoshin Karate......... learn to take a whoopin and not moan about it!

I'm off to bed to have nightmares about that fight, up at 9 tomorrow(this?) morning, great. Still delighted I stayed up though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

silva's shout out to the nogs :pac:

love that about bjj, any opportunity and boom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sickened I couldn't watch this live. Watched most of the fights on mmalinker but Silva vs Sonnen is gone haywire, go figure!

4 of my 6 fighters on accumulator won, nelson and saunders lost by decision, so close to a payout :D Went to check my paddy power account this morning and it said account suspended becuase i'm using american IP address. WHAT??!! and to contact support. I opened live chat support and was told i have to ring them from a landline phone. who the fuk has a landline phone anymore! I asked if I at least won or lost my bet and was told lost due to nelson and saunders. I didn't fukin ask about the fights!! wanted to watch the fights first (wouldn't have minded known if I won the bet tho)

rant over

Anyone got a working link to the silva sonnen fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bets for tonight:

Nelson by submission @ 12.5

Silva by submission @ 5.6.

Not bad value bets.

Get in.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Get the video game, seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I felt very sorry for Sonnen.

He didn't have the tools that Silva has but he used what he had really well, showed no fear and worked his butt off for the whole fight.

Credit to Silva though. He pulled it off.

One of the lads quoted Silva perfectly in the post fight press conference. "I don't want to make an excuse, but I just made an excuse" Damn Sonnen sounds and looks suicidal, he really needs to see how well he did. I can't see Silva fighting Vitor in November (which wiki suggests)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I had the first and third 10-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Glad I dont look like an idiot with the two 10-8 rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Shocked, Sonnen owned him for 4 and a half rounds, couldnt believe what i saw, he set fire to him on the feet a few times aswell, well done Chael, he'l surely get a rematch! Anderson knows he was whooped

• Advertisement

Part of me felt sorry for Sonnen due to the fact that his performance in the previous 4 rounds deserved a win, but its a 5 round fight so it all counts. Greg Jackson has a point re not having to win rounds if you finish fights. I felt no sympathy for Sonnen though due to his pre fight thrash talking and the excessive nature of what he was saying.

Silva looked all over the place. Sonnens workrate made him constantly have to readjust off his back so he had no platform to attempt submissions, but even on his feet he was throwing silly strikes (a flying knee/jumping kick against a wrestler when you're trying to sprawl and brawl?!) and getting caught with sloppy punches, things that you don't normally see from him. Fair play to Silva though, he got his one chance and he took it. That's the mark of a champion right there.

Fitch impressed me without impressing the fans in the arena. He is relentless and wears his opponents down with his grinding style.. Deserves another title shot at this stage, far more worhty of it than Dan Hardy was anyway.

JDS was impressive, mixed it up a bit with some kicks and a takedown and has emonstrated good takedown defence. We still haven't seen his BJJ but his wrestling looks decent. Nelson had no answer for him but fair play to him for toughing it out.

Guida vs dos Anjos for me wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped and was strange to see a guy tap from shoulder pressure. But Guidas relentless worth rate is awesome to watch.

Felt sorry for Almeida, he looked quick and was doing the right things but he got caught and Hughes has that kind of bear strength to do that to you. Impressive to see a finish from that position.

Streuve did well to come back but that was sneaky throwing the kick in straight after touching gloves!!

Great night of fights overall, I really enjoyed that. I'm looking forward to seeing BJ vs Edgar again now in 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I love how people in this mma forum will condemn Anderson for antics in a fight yet will cheer sonnen on for talking absolute ****e and behaving what some so called "mma purists" would call " against "mma etiquette" let say hypocrisy dominates this forum in every way. As far as Anderson winning all I will say is, Ha!

I love how people in this mma forum will condemn Anderson for antics in a fight yet will cheer sonnen on for talking absolute ****e and behaving what some so called "mma purists" would call " against "mma etiquette" let say hypocrisy dominates this forum in every way. As far as Anderson winning all I will say is, Ha!

mmm bit of a difference between hyping up a fight talking shiit to dancing around the cage disrespecting your opponent. It comes down to the fight. Silva acted like an absolute fool against Maia. Sonnen fought brilliantly against Silva. Comes down to the fact that Silva pulled off the triangle and fair play to him. After all said and done, Sonnen gained a lot of fans just from the fight alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

Do people honestly think Sonnen was being serious in those pre fight interviews? Its quite clear he was taking the piss. I'm actually shocked so many people think he wasnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Re watching the main event.

Chaels biggest mistake was his first big take down in the first. He done it very easy Anderson was dazed on his feet. He could have stood for longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Re watching the main event.

Chaels biggest mistake was his first big take down in the first. He done it very easy Anderson was dazed on his feet. He could have stood for longer

Not really, he had a gameplan which he executed beautifully! In the heat of the moment if your bread & butter is wrestling & ground & pound you're gonna take every oppurtunity to take a devastating striker like Silva down, he wasnt gonna take the chance of it turning into a standup match so early in the 1st round (I doubt he planned to stand with Silva at all)! In saying that he did what no1 else in the UFC has & rocked Silva on more then 1 occassion! I was absolutely shocked, Belfort must be fancying his chances even more now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

My god I am tired today but that was worth staying up for. Was a little drunk by the time the main event came on but I do vaguely remember it being Epic!. Kudos to Sonnen. He talked the talk and walked the walk. Really surprised me and he made a fan last night. I'm sure he made lots of fans tbh. In true Rocky fashion though, Spider snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. BJJ trumps wrestling once again. This is why I love MMA.

Gonna treat myself to a happy meal today too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

All i can say is, il never count chael sonnen out again, ever. He did what nobody else could do, or even get close to doing! After he dropped Anderson in the opening 2 mins he already proved that he belonged in there and in fairness to him he did exactly what he said he was gonna do, he just earned another fan here tbh

It's amazing how the UFC put on a great night of fights, featuring 2 of the best comebacks you'll ever see.

A favourite and a multi-time ADCC medalist getting submittted from a choke he'd never seen before!

And all you can do is talk about supposed "hypocrisy" in the forum?

And as for your last comment "As far as Anderson winning all i will say is, HA!", you are the very reason i don't go to the likes of Sherdog and the other MMA Forums and come here, because THOSE Forums are full of people like you, whereas this forum is, for the most part, proper discussion on people who love the sport (and/or those who are getting into it)

Please grow up! Or failing that, Sherdog is full of people like you, you'll fit right in!

Ariel has a nice interview with Dana up (and the Presser for whoever hasn't seen it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Anyone who still has a problem with Chael check out the closing moments of the press conference.

Sonnen isnt Pro Wrestling he is Mexican Wrestling:

2metxs3.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement