Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 117 - Discussion ***MOD NOTE POST 909***

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

rovert wrote: »
    Anyone who still has a problem with Chael check out the closing moments of the press conference.

Sonnen isnt Pro Wrestling he is Mexican Wrestling:

Brilliant:D I was streaming it last night, but I missed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Loved when Sonnen did that! I wanna see more of this guy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

All through his career, I think Chael has had two major weaknesses. The biggest one is that he just doesn't respect submissions enough. He's never been knocked out, but he's been submitted many times. He doesn't like to go for them himself and he usually seems to think that his wrestling will get him out of trouble. But it clearly doesn't always

The other thing that he often does is that he doesn't go in for the kill when he probably should. There have been a lot of fights in his career where he has won the first two rounds so he does nothing in the third, even when he has his opponent rocked and could probably easily knock him out. By the same token, sometimes he'll be beaten but he won't go for broke, he'll still just play it safe. Neither has really been an issue since he's been back in the UFC, but I was afraid that it would be last night

He has the ability to beat Anderson, which I always felt. But he was caught out by another submission

I'd like to see a rematch. The only thing is that it would probably favour Anderson more. He now knows what Chael can do to him and he knows that he can catch him in submissions. Still, Chael wasn't doing too badly on the feet before his first takedown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fozzy wrote: »
    All through his career, I think Chael has had two major weaknesses. The biggest one is that he just doesn't respect submissions enough. He's never been knocked out, but he's been submitted many times. He doesn't like to go for them himself and he usually seems to think that his wrestling will get him out of trouble. But it clearly doesn't always

The other thing that he often does is that he doesn't go in for the kill when he probably should. There have been a lot of fights in his career where he has won the first two rounds so he does nothing in the third, even when he has his opponent rocked and could probably easily knock him out. By the same token, sometimes he'll be beaten but he won't go for broke, he'll still just play it safe. Neither has really been an issue since he's been back in the UFC, but I was afraid that it would be last night

He has the ability to beat Anderson, which I always felt. But he was caught out by another submission

I'd like to see a rematch. The only thing is that it would probably favour Anderson more. He now knows what Chael can do to him and he knows that he can catch him in submissions. Still, Chael wasn't doing too badly on the feet before his first takedown

jesus didnt know that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Some interesting notes from F4WOnline:
    -There was incredible post-show interest last night. Five hours after the card had ended, references to the UFC 117 show made up 11 of the 20 most searched items on Google. Even this afternoon, five of the top 20 searched for items were Silva vs. Sonnen (3), UFC 117 (6), Anderson Silva (7), Sonnen (9) and UFC post-fight press conference (11). That is far more reaction than even a major show that does 1 million buys will get. Dana White said the buy rate for the show based on early trending patterns indicates a number far beyond what they expected out of this show.

-- It was interesting that UFC sold less tickets (although the higher prices had a LOT to do with it) than Gina Carano did when she headlined here last summer.

--Chael Sonnen's 289 total strikes was a CompuStrike UFC record. An interesting note is that Anderson Silva was hit more times last night than in his previous 11 UFC fights combined (208).

What a stat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Fozzy wrote: »

OK having a glass chin is a weakness. Let me ask Andrei Arlovski and James Thomson and get their opinions on that.

Having a granite chin makes Chael who he is. He knows he can take shots so he takes one or two and goes for the takedown, part of his strategy. Chael has the no fear style similar to Nick Diaz he is willing to take a shot to create an opening or advantage for himself, that is what Chael did last night and it worked. He took a few shots, put Silva a bit off balance and then shot for the takedown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

rovert wrote: »
    Some interesting notes from F4WOnline:

What a stat

I wonder did his "ear boxing" count as 2 strikes?

62865722.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Instead of reading the other 50+ pages about this card i'm going to give my opinion.As far as Silva being pound 4 pound best anymore thats done he embarrased himself last nite again dropping his hands & he never looked bothered at all I know he won but if he was in there with a more talented guy who doesn't leave his head out he'd of been beat. Sonnen hit him countless times but he didn't have much power in them,(thats why he doesn't finish fights) if he did Silva's face would of been destroyed.I can't believe some sites saying it was a great fight it reminded me of GSP vs Penn II hardly a classic.Only Sonnen didn't hurt Anderson as much as GSP hurt Penn.I enjoyed Big Country vs Dos Santos a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GTR63 wrote: »
    As far as Silva being pound 4 pound best anymore thats done he embarrased himself last nite again dropping his hands & he never looked bothered at all
    Is that not just his character and fighting style though? Can't BrazilianJJ fights last hours and it's about knowing when to make your move not constant point scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

im heartbroken for sonnen
    i havent been as animated during a fight since
    randy beat big tim.
    wanted so see sonnen succeed but i feared the worst
    up till the end especially with a submission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Wow. Just wow. That fight left me completely emotionally drained. I was hoping for a Sonnen victory, but fair play to Silva for pulling it out of the bag after being pounded for 4 and half rounds. Sonnen really should have smothered Silva and not sit up in his guard to way he did and ride it out to the bell but hindsight is a great thing.

Absolutely fantastic card. Have UFC had two back to back cards this good before (116 and this)?

This fight will live long in my memory, for the boxing fans who might remember, it reminded me of the Meldrick Taylor .VS. Julio Cesar Chavez fight from 20ish years ago, even down to the way Sonnen looked the more damaged fighter afterwards even though he dominated the fight, just like Taylor.

Wow.

Instead of reading the other 50+ pages about this card i'm going to give my opinion.As far as Silva being pound 4 pound best anymore thats done he embarrased himself last nite..............

Embarrassed himself? To take a beating that 99% of fighters couldnt take, to then come back and win the fight is embarrassing?

How many times was Fedor on the losing end of a fight before pulling out a submission or catching a Glass Jawed Belarussian in mid air with a bomb?

How many times did Big Nog get completely smashed, only to pull it out of the bag?

It's what Champions are made of! And in years to come, this will be one of Silva's most remembered victories. Not only could he go out and showboat and make people look bad, but he could also get into a dirty war and still come out with his hand raised!

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is that not just his character and fighting style though? Can't BrazilianJJ fights last hours and it's about knowing when to make your move not constant point scoring.

He got lucky though getting that Triangle so late.He didn't say to himself i'll play the waiting game & catch him when he sticks his head out.Sonnen nearly escaped it lets not forget.Anderson used to be a ruthless in there Finishing Hendo & Franklin when they made one mistake now he's a bit of a joke.What is it with Brazilians it happens to the footballers too they become the undisputed best on the planet then just don't want to work & stay at the top.

Instead of reading the other 50+ pages about this card i'm going to give my opinion.As far as Silva being pound 4 pound best anymore thats done he embarrased himself last nite again dropping his hands & he never looked bothered at all I know he won but if he was in there with a more talented guy who doesn't leave his head out he'd of been beat. Sonnen hit him countless times but he didn't have much power in them,(thats why he doesn't finish fights) if he did Silva's face would of been destroyed.I can't believe some sites saying it was a great fight it reminded me of GSP vs Penn II hardly a classic.Only Sonnen didn't hurt Anderson as much as GSP hurt Penn.I enjoyed Big Country vs Dos Santos a lot more.

Silva showed heart, determination and courage throughout that fight. He refused to give in and tried all the time looking for subs or throwing strikes from the bottom.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I wonder did his "ear boxing" count as 2 strikes?

62865722.jpg

Don't underestimate the ear box. That is probably the most painful strike to the head I've ever experienced. It immediately knocks your balance off and causes bad tinnitus, the effect would have been lessened for Silva as he was on his back for the night. :rolleyes:

Oh yea and also Jon Fitch is a fantastic fighter and really deserves a hell of a lot more respect than he gets. He is a master at what he does and I for one greatly enjoy watching him.

seadnamac wrote: »
    Oh yea and also Jon Fitch is a fantastic fighter and really deserves a hell of a lot more respect than he gets. He is a master at what he does and I for one greatly enjoy watching him.

Jon Fitch is am absolute animal and a master at grinding fighters down and breaking them! His record is amazing! 21 wins in 22 fights and he's been fighting THE BEST in the division!

The "casual" fan slags him off because he's not considered "Exciting". Bull IMO! I thought his fight v Alves last night was a very good fight.

The best in the world doesnt necessarily have to the the most exciting!

Embarrassed himself? To take a beating that 99% of fighters couldnt take, to then come back and win the fight is embarrassing?

How many times was Fedor on the losing end of a fight before pulling out a submission or catching a Glass Jawed Belarussian in mid air with a bomb?

How many times did Big Nog get completely smashed, only to pull it out of the bag?

It's what Champions are made of! And in years to come, this will be one of Silva's most remembered victories. Not only could he go out and showboat and make people look bad, but he could also get into a dirty war and still come out with his hand raised!

Fedor & Nog have both had devastatingly losses lately & I think if Anderson fights like that against Belfort & Belfort is still alive after the weight cut he'll smash Andersons face in.He was slow & is clearly on the slide.
    He's lucky Akiyama, Bisping,Leben & Marquart aren't world class contenders in his division.Sonnen can't finish guys thats why he survived,look at his face compared to Penn's or Mir's when they got pasted on their backs quite a difference.Anderson spent about 18 minutes on his back his face should of been bruised & cut all over.If GSP was bigger he'd tear him to shreds.

Fitch no doubt is a good fighter but he isn't that exciting to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Wow, just wow. When Sonnen took Silva down in the 5th i skipped through the fight to near the end only to see Silva holding the belt, haha. Skipped back to see a submission. Unbelievable! At the start of round 1 I though the fight was a total joke. Silva didnt looked bothered/his best against Sonnen's sloppy stand up, yet Sonnen was connecting:confused:. When he rocked him i honestly though some fish **** was going on here. There has to be a re-match, no doubt.

I noticed at the end as Dana handed Silva the belt he said to him "Great fight, great fight" Made me laugh.

Lotsa respect to Big Roy also. He took some huge shots from a Beast and was still standing. I was ****ing tense, muscles clenched, heart racing the whole three rounds in fear of Roy getting lucky and connecting with that over hand right, haha. <3 JDS <3

Herb Dean, tsk tsk tsk. How long did it take him to stop that Struve fight?!?! The guy Lovecrafty or some **** took like 8 shots to the head on the ground, and he was totally out of it with gum shield hanging out of his mouth. Was screaming at my monitor for him to stop it, holy ****

Good night of fights over all. I want to see Fitch get KO's cause he just annoys the **** out of me for some reason

Fedor & Nog have both had devastatingly losses lately...........

That's not what i asked!

Do you think that when Fedor and Nog were staging comebacks during fights they were embarrassed?
    He's lucky Akiyama, Bisping,Leben & Marquart aren't world class contenders in his division............

Marquart isn't World Class? Come on, are you serious?

Anyway, he's cleaned out the Division! the reason they aren't at that Top level is because Silva is so good!
    Anderson spent about 18 minutes on his back his face should of been bruised & cut all over.

Now you're either saying Chael wasn't good enough to bruise Silva or Silva's face doesnt bruise like the rest of us.

Either way, you're making excuses. All this "If" business, if my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle!

unknown13 wrote: »

Being exciting makes no difference to whether you're the best or not.

Exciting? Maybe not. Compelling? Absolutely as far as I'm concerned. It's great to be able to watch someone so talented perform at such a high standard. Just because what he is so talented at doesn't happen to be striking, shouldn't mean he is labelled boring.

Being exciting makes no difference to whether you're the best or not.

I know, but what is going to sell more PPV's at the end of the day. A champion who is an exciting fighter (Lesnar or Shogun) or one who is boring to watch (GSP).

Mod edit- no unfounded accusations of ped abuse please

• Advertisement

I know, but what is going to sell more PPV's at the end of the day. A champion who is an exciting fighter (Lesnar or Shogun) or one who is boring to watch (GSP).

I could watch GSP all day.

Indeed, but that's Dana White's problem.

I have a feeling that Jon Fitch wouldn't be gathering his grandkids around to talk about how he once sold 800k PPVs when he's older. He would, however, tell them about how he was once the Champion of the World!

TBH, I don't care who is the champion or not. I will still watch the event but the end of the day I like the rest of the fans want to see one or two decent fights. Be it Technical wars or slugfests.

Indeed, but that's Dana White's problem.

I have a feeling that Jon Fitch wouldn't be gathering his grandkids around to talk about how he once sold 800k PPVs when he's older. He would, however, tell them about how he was once the Champion of the World!

Sure it is coming apparent to me that GSP isn't selling PPV's.

at least he can take a punch unlike Captain Steroids Todd Duffee.

Unless you have sufficient evidence to show that Todd duffee is on steroids (or is a Captain on a ship), then i think you should maybe retract this.

• Advertisement

Sure it is coming apparent to me that GSP isn't selling PPV's.

I'd buy them. For me, GSP is the P4P best in the world and i'd definately pay to watch the P4P best fighter in the world everytime!

Before people ask why I come to that conclusion look at recent events GSP has been in.

UFC 111 - UFC did primetime for his fight
    UFC 100 - Lesnar / Mir 2 headlined + the TUF coaches (bisping and Hendo) fought each other and the whole hype because it was the UFC's 100th show.
    UFC 94 - UFC did primetime for his fight

I'd buy them. For me, GSP is the P4P best in the world and i'd definately pay to watch the P4P best fighter in the world everytime!

Damn straight.

Before people ask why I come to that conclusion look at recent events GSP has been in.

UFC 111 - UFC did primetime for his fight
    UFC 100 - Lesnar / Mir 2 headlined + the TUF coaches (bisping and Hendo) fought each other and the whole hype because it was the UFC's 100th show.
    UFC 94 - UFC did primetime for his fight

You think the only way that UFC can promote GSP is by spending millions of dollars on Primetimes shows?

The same GSP who they put on the front of their video game?

The same GSP who was voted Canadian Athlete of the Year 2 years running?

The same GSP who was vited Fighter of the Year 2 years running by Wrestling Observer and in 2009 at the Worls MMA Awards?

The same GSP who was Fighter of the Year in Sports Illustrated?..............

Yeah, you're probably right!

That's not what i asked!

Do you think that when Fedor and Nog were staging comebacks during fights they were embarrassed?

Marquart isn't World Class? Come on, are you serious?

Anyway, he's cleaned out the Division! the reason they aren't at that Top level is because Silva is so good!

Now you're either saying Chael wasn't good enough to bruise Silva or Silva's face doesnt bruise like the rest of us.

Either way, you're making excuses. All this "If" business, if my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle!

Firstly Fedor should be embarrased his aura has gone since he lost to Werdum & he was nearly caught in a triangle before he got caught in another about 30 seconds later,Marquart hasn't beat many top middleweights lately Kampman,Gouveia &Maia who has horrible stand up(which is why Silva embarrased him only on his feet) hardly would count as top contenders one is a welterweight now,another was released & Maia hasn't a chance of getting a rematch against Silva.Sonnen would of hardly of bruised a peach with his ground & pound last nite he had him down for 4 and a half rounds & not once did he give the Ref a thought to step in & stop it cause he wasn't hurting Anderson at all.Silva will stay at middleweight cause he'd get beaten up at Light Heavyweight sooner Rashad,Shogun & a motivated Rampage would give him real trouble the way he's been acting lately.

You think the only way that UFC can promote GSP is by spending millions of dollars on Primetimes shows?

The same GSP who they put on the front of their video game?

The same GSP who was voted Canadian Athlete of the Year 2 years running?

The same GSP who was vited Fighter of the Year 2 years running by Wrestling Observer and in 2009 at the Worls MMA Awards?

The same GSP who was Fighter of the Year in Sports Illustrated?..............

Yeah, you're probably right!

Forest was on the American cover, they used GSP for the Canadian cover.

GSP is very popular in Canada but he isn't as a popular in America.

Firstly Fedor should be embarrased his aura has gone since he lost to Werdum & he was nearly caught in a triangle before he got caught in another about 30 seconds later,Marquart hasn't beat many top middleweights lately Kampman,Gouveia &Maia who has horrible stand up(which is why Silva embarrased him only on his feet) hardly would count as top contenders one is a welterweight now,another was released & Maia hasn't a chance of getting a rematch against Silva.Sonnen would of hardly of bruised a peach with his ground & pound last nite he had him down for 4 and a half rounds & not once did he give the Ref a thought to step in & stop it cause he wasn't hurting Anderson at all.Silva will stay at middleweight cause he'd get beaten up at Light Heavyweight sooner Rashad,Shogun & a motivated Rampage would give him real trouble the way he's been acting lately.

I'd highlight one specific part of your post to use this smiley.... but having read it, your ENTIRE post really deserves it............

You ready?.................

:rolleyes:

Mod note: READ THE CHARTER

Allow me to recall me scoring of the Sonnen / Silva fight:

Round 1: 10-8 Sonnen
    Round 2: 10-9 Sonnen
    Round 3: 10-8 Sonnen
    Round 4: 10-9 Sonnen

He must have been doing a lot to get a 10-8 round off me. Until last night I had only ever had given ONE 10-8 round (2nd Rampage / Forrest).

Can you retract on Boards didn't know that,sorry toddy i've no proof only that despite being in excellent shape you have absolutely zero Cardio & everyone that I watched the fight with (several MMA Obsessed Brazilians & my brothers) said your juiced up almost straight away.I know he passed the test on the night but I read that a lot of fighters know how to work around that,no doubt by relaxing of the stuff prior to the Test.
    Thats how Sherk & others survive the testing long before they got caught.

You shouldn't be accusing fighter of steroid use when they have never failed a drugs test

• Advertisement

Can you retract on Boards didn't know that,sorry toddy i've no proof only that despite being in excellent shape you have absolutely zero Cardio & everyone that I watched the fight with (several MMA Obsessed Brazilians & my brothers) said your juiced up almost straight away.I know he passed the test on the night but I read that a lot of fighters know how to work around that,no doubt by relaxing of the stuff prior to the Test.

Wow, you've sussed it!

Every athlete in the world can take performance enhancing drugs, once they listen to some classical music and have a scone with their Parish Priest before the fight.

And why do they bother to test fighters? What they should REALLY do is get a load of Brazilian lads and your brother to sit and decide who's on drugs!! It's so obvious!

Dude, this is the last time i actually reply to any of your posts, you're [insert something here that will get me banned]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He got lucky though getting that Triangle so late.He didn't say to himself i'll play the waiting game & catch him when he sticks his head out.Sonnen nearly escaped it lets not forget.Anderson used to be a ruthless in there Finishing Hendo & Franklin when they made one mistake now he's a bit of a joke.What is it with Brazilians it happens to the footballers too they become the undisputed best on the planet then just don't want to work & stay at the top.
    Maybe it just get's boring for them, a good beating may put the spark back in him.

I'm not saying he wasn't lucky the opportunity eventually came around, although he was looking for it for a long time and really it was Sonnens fault for knowing it was coming and still falling into it. But for Silva to constantly take the beating and still find the opportunity you can't hold anything against him.

You shouldn't be accusing fighter of steroid use when they have never failed a drugs test

I genuinely want to know how many Ken Shamrock failed cause he admitted to using it recently & how the hell did Duffee tire so badly throwing jabs & uppercuts to a immobile opponent unless he cut Thiago Alves level weight come on guys lets not be so Naive some guys sure as hell take shortcuts.

I genuinely want to know how many Ken Shamrock failed cause he admitted to using it recently

Don't know and I don't care to be honest.
    how the hell did Duffee tire so badly throwing jabs & uppercuts to a immobile opponent unless he cut Thiago Alves level weight come on guys lets not be so Naive some guys sure as hell take shortcuts.

Why don't you ask that question to him, one thing it wasn't was steroids.

Wow, you've sussed it!

Every athlete in the world can take performance enhancing drugs, once they listen to some classical music and have a scone with their Parish Priest before the fight.

And why do they bother to test fighters? What they should REALLY do is get a load of Brazilian lads and your brother to sit and decide who's on drugs!! It's so obvious!

Dude, this is the last time i actually reply to any of your posts, you're [insert something here that will get me banned]

COME BACK,You can have your thread back I'm just leaving your the true MMA Master,
    Fedor,Nog & Anderson "Greatest Comeback since Take That"Silva you know so much i'm retreating into my troll cave.

Have you read the Charter by the way?

8) No unfounded allegations against fighters, particularly in regard to steroid use. If you want to accuse them make sure you have a bulletproof source or you will be banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Good to see we've learned from UFC 116 thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Ì think the general concensus is that we all thought sonnen was an absolute douche before the fight and now have considerable respect for him. I was in sync with the fans at the fight- routing for silva prefight and then Sonnen after the first round. I've never changed my mind about who I wanted to win mid fight before it was strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I could watch GSP all day.

Just for you then......duckie x x ;):P:rolleyes:

gsp-calendar1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ì think the general concensus is that we all thought sonnen was an absolute douche before the fight and now have considerable respect for him. I was in sync with the fans at the fight- routing for silva prefight and then Sonnen after the first round. I've never changed my mind about who I wanted to win mid fight before it was strange.

Do people really think Sonnen was being serious pre fight?

I would be the complete opposite of you and everyone I know was as well. Although I thought Silva would win I was cheering for Sonnen.

Advertisement