Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 117 - Discussion ***MOD NOTE POST 909***

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fromvert wrote: »
    Do people really think Sonnen was being serious pre fight?

I would be the complete opposite of you and everyone I know was as well. Although I thought Silva would win I was cheering for Sonnen.

Of course he was being serious, he's hardly going to go into the cage thinking he's going to be knocked the fcuk out.

He was totally confident in his abilities and that showed from the first second.

I for one thought Silva would piss it but i WANTED Sonnen to win as IMO Silva is an arrogant twunt who needs bringing down to earth quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm not talking about him believing he'd win, of course he believed he would, no fighter doesn't.

I'm talking about all the ****e he was talking about Silva/Nogs. He was hyping the fight. The amount of media attention he got in US. He knew exactly what he was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fromvert wrote: »
    I'm not talking about him believing he'd win, of course he believed he would, no fighter doesn't.

I'm talking about all the ****e he was talking about Silva/Nogs. He was hyping the fight. The amount of media attention he got in US. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Ah right, of course he was, he was selling PPV's, doing his job, and doing it very very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know good sites with quality pics of sonnen silva fight? i'm looking for one of sonnen landing a bomb on silva

Who do you guys think Thiago should fight at Middleweight?
    He certainly shouldn't be at Welterweight anyway. If Alan Belcher's problems are sorted that would be a good match-up. Patrick Cote or Kendall Grove would be good match-ups to see if he could stand in the Middleweight division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

He certainly shouldn't be at Welterweight anyway. If Alan Belcher's problems are sorted that would be a good match-up. Patrick Cote or Kendall Grove would be good match-ups to see if he could stand in the Middleweight division.
    Hes too short for middleweight. 5'8" is too short for a middleweight striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Too small, being that he is 5'8 / 5'9 means he will becoming up fighters against that are 5'11 - 6'2 on a regular basis. He wont be the shortest in that division, Palhares is about 5'8 according to the UFC but he is a grappler. But Hector Lombard is in around 5'8 / 5'9 and he seems to be knocking people out at his will in Bellator and the other promotions.

MOD NOTE

Guys, read the charter, especially the part regarding accusations of steroid use.

The same poster has had 2 separate posts edited now. There will not be a 3rd.

Use your brains and keep it above board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

he needs to lose some of that muscle mass , if he leaned out a bit he would do alot better i feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

TechnoPool wrote: »
    he needs to lose some of that muscle mass , if he leaned out a bit he would do alot better i feel.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Who?

Roy Nelson............

thiago alves obv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Who?

alves sorry pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Really enjoyed 117, some great fights with a couple of surprise enjoyable ones too...

That tall lad with the smashed up lip, great three punch knockout in the 2nd.
    Matt Hughes winning, still don't think he'll threaten for the belt.
    Tiago Alves... what is the story with him, he certainly looks the part, then a good wrestler just destroys him... what can he do?

Then Sonnen losing in the last 2 minutes after 23 minutes of fighting... downer to say the least, I wanted someone to shut Silva up, so f*cking arrogant!

OVerall it was excellent.... in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.u...le.php?id=5043
    09/08/10 - Anderson out until early next year, says coach

Anderson Silva’s jiu jitsu coach says his fighter came back to his corner after the first round complaining of a “broken rib”. Ramon Lemos also told Tatame that he does not expect Anderson to return to fighting until around March 2011.

“After the first round he said he broke his ribs. He said told me he could not breath because of the rib. I told him to forget the rib and work the movement of legs and he would get the triangle… After the fight he went to the hospital and did an x-ray and the doctor said he did not break it, it was just a crack,” he said.

“Anderson is expected to return in February or March. We have not talked, but he has to take care of injuries, he fought twice last year and had an operation on his elbow. This year he made two more fights and now with this rib injury ... He is no longer a boy, he is 34 years old.”

Lemos added that the fight “was worthy of a champion. Whoever thinks Anderson is only sharp in the stand-up now has to more careful when taking him down… on the floor he is increasingly dangerous!”

Anderson took a hammering for several rounds in the headline bout of UFC 117 but managed to submit Chael Sonnen with a triangle just two minutes before the end of the fight. Sonnen was comfortably ahead on points at the time.

Chael will have plenty of time to wallow in self-pity before the rematch.

rovert wrote: »

SO is he saying that Silva's training injury story is bullsh*t and h actually had it cracked by Sonnen?

Nah i'd say he had the injury but Sonnen helped it crack a little more :) I totally called this today with one of the lads. won't be a rematch as silva would complain about ribs and would be out 6-8 months. I'm sure its a serious injury but now no title shot for sonnen or belfort, these 2 guys should fight in the mean time for the title shot!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Nah i'd say he had the injury but Sonnen helped it crack a little more :) I totally called this today with one of the lads. won't be a rematch as silva would complain about ribs and would be out 6-8 months. I'm sure its a serious injury but now no title shot for sonnen or belfort, these 2 guys should fight in the mean time for the title shot!

Yeah but i don't think Silva would be complaining as in "running" from Sonnen. I seriously doubt he's that kinda character.

As for Sonnen v Belfort, man that would be incredible and considering the pres Sonnen got and the way he was able to back it up, there would be MAJOR interest in this fight!

Yupp, a lot more interest than if sonnen had kept his mouth shut the whole time. I'm mad to see him fight again and this just makes sense. Belfort will probably be retired by March next year!

Ah not 'running' but he's not too keen on a rematch. Anyone else getting the criticism from that fight would say "well, he bate the fook outta me and everyone thinks he is better than me but i am interested in fighting him again to prove im the best, just gotta get over the rib thing" and not "i wanna thank all my fans BS"

• Advertisement

Yupp, a lot more interest than if sonnen had kept his mouth shut the whole time. I'm mad to see him fight again and this just makes sense. Belfort will probably be retired by March next year!

Ah not 'running' but he's not too keen on a rematch. Anyone else getting the criticism from that fight would say "well, he bate the fook outta me and everyone thinks he is better than me but i am interested in fighting him again to prove im the best, just gotta get over the rib thing" and not "i wanna thank all my fans BS"

Its funny because, although i initially thought everyone would be saying "ah, Silva got caught out and finnaly got beat up", it's great to see everyone showing him the respect he threw away in Abu Dhabi and recognising that he showed what Champions are made of.

If they fight again, i fancy Silva for a KO!

I give Sonnen MUCH more respect now and obviously give him a much bigger chance in a rematch (i didnt give him much of a chance in the first place), but Silva should take him scond time around.

What REALY intrigues me is..... Silva got caught a couple of times by a guy who isn't renound for having power. Imagine what happens if Vitor catches him!

Ya and Chael got a record amount of hits but was only able to manage to give silva a few bruises while sonnen came away looking like someone smashed a tomato on his face. sick of waiting so long for fights tho!

Ya and Chael got a record amount of hits but was only able to manage to give silva a few bruises while sonnen came away looking like someone smashed a tomato on his face. sick of waiting so long for fights tho!

Ah yeah, but while we wait on one fight, others come along. Randy v Punch-Drunk Toney and BJ v Edgar!

There's no way this card can be any better than the last 2, but the way things are going i don't think it'll disappoint!

Best sport in the fu*king world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Something i brought up on radio tonight would like opinions.

Ideally both men get shots at Silva on after the other. Since he was injured it looks like they will face off.

Vitor i think could beat him with his striking.

Sonnen via his wrestling.

Two good aspects of MMA but should a loss to one of them really push them down the rankings if they were to fight as there are two very good aspects of MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Slightly off topic but I really feel some of the radio sports shows are missing out covering UFC events like last weekend particularly a show like Off the Ball on Newstalk which has about 13 hours of programming to fill and is targeted at a young audience and the only mention MMA gets is usually a chuckle.

Last night they did a history piece on boxing. It was good albeit the fact that they do more history pieces on boxing than covering boxing of today tells it own story.

In comparison, UFC has been on a roll of putting on athletic and dramatic main event after dramatic main event with Sonnen/Silva perhaps the peak of them. Just a pet peeve of mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

'Punchin and Crunchin' is irelands only mma radio show and its live every Tue from 8pm to 9pm on dundalk fm(online if you don't live locally) The show is a mix between local/national mma and international mma with interviews from fighters and lots lots more. You can also listen back to past shows on mmaireland.org fighthounds.com and mmaireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

OP, you need Denny Crane. He has never lost a case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqsIpYQ5e_g

OP, you need Denny Crane. He has never lost a case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqsIpYQ5e_g

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Finally got time to watch this event. Really really enjoyed the main event. Really have to feel for Sonnen. I honestly thought he had Silva. A more powerful punch and he may have done so earlier in the fight.

Enjoyed Matt Hughes' fight too. Glad he got the win and in some style.

• Advertisement

Chael Sonnen on MMA Live.........

He's got an incredible amount of Make-Up on to cover up his war wounds. I think he should have just shown his cuts and bruises!

Ben Saunder's has been cut because of his loss...

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Ben Saunder's has been cut because of his loss...

and ruining accumulators

It's a shame because he's always an exciting fighter!

There are less exciting fighters with similar records still hanging around the UFC!

It's a shame because he's always an exciting fighter!

There are less exciting fighters with similar records still hanging around the UFC!

I think he was quoted saying that Dana said if he works on his ground game sufficiently he'll be brought back..

Chael Sonnen on MMA Live.........

He's got an incredible amount of Make-Up on to cover up his war wounds. I think he should have just shown his cuts and bruises!

Having just watched it, Chael's comment at the end about Bisping was great. "If Michael Bisping ever addresses me in public again, I will bury him where he stands."

Anyone else think that if Bisping beats Akiyama, we could have a Sonnen/Bisping fight, while we're waiting for Anderson to get healthy...

I can't imagine the amount of trash talking that would be going on then. Only possible match up with more would have to be Tito/Ken...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Having just watched it, Chael's comment at the end about Bisping was great. "If Michael Bisping ever addresses me in public again, I will bury him where he stands."

Anyone else think that if Bisping beats Akiyama, we could have a Sonnen/Bisping fight, while we're waiting for Anderson to get healthy...

I can't imagine the amount of trash talking that would be going on then. Only possible match up with more would have to be Tito/Ken...

would love to see sonnen v bisping but if anderson is out, it would be more than likely Vitor v Chael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

If a man ever deserved a quick enough rematch its Chael Sonnen, and i reckon he'l get it too by Feb/March 2011

would love to see sonnen v bisping but if anderson is out, it would be more than likely Vitor v Chael

OR........... this would be a great way for Dana to FINALLY get his way and get Bisping a title shot (by beating Chael)

This is an excellent interview for anyone who took an interest in the fight and those interested in what goes on in a fighter's head.

How can you not respect this guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does anybody have a link for the Huges sub, even a decent GIF?

Jeepers someone got their projections wrong the show did 600,000 buys where Dana was telling people that it was based on trending to do 900kto a 1 million on the day of fight. I guess Chael isnt a god like promotional genuis after all and just a dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The way we are going we will still be talking about this event until 118 which is about 10 days away.

unknown13 wrote: »
    The way we are going we will still be talking about this event until 118 which is about 10 days away.

I think the lower than forecasted buyrate is the final major story coming out of this one, personally. Really sad that despite moving heaven and earth P.R. for a low flat fee Sonnen loses out on the title and a likely a bonzana pay check too. I guess Silva's Abu Dubai exhibition killed of a lot of people's interest.

rovert wrote: »
    I think the lower than forecasted buyrate is the final major story coming out of this one, personally. Really sad that despite moving heaven and earth P.R. for a low flat fee Sonnen loses out on the title and a likely a bonzana pay check too. I guess Silva's Abu Dubai exhibition killed of a lot of people's interest.

The promotion might not have brought in the buys, but i reckon the fact her could back his mouth up, the buzz after the fight and the potential rematch (or even a match v Vitor) will ensure Sonnen is a draw in the future!

Mellor wrote: »
    Does anybody have a link for the Huges sub, even a decent GIF?

http://www3.pic-upload.de/08.08.10/g3xt69s9e9ri.gif

Best I could find unless you want to watch the fight?

http://www.mmavideos.pl/video/matt-hughes-vs-ricardo-almeida-ufc-117

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen Rematch Rumored for New Year’s Eve or Super Bowl Weekend
    http://www.5thround.com/48948/anderson-silva-vs-chael-sonnen-rematch-rumored-for-new-years-eve-or-super-bowl-weekend/

Belfort fighting Leben (slugfest) which he'd probably win, just to get rid of his ring rust. Or Yushin Okami, to find out the next real number 1 contender?

Sonnen claims rematch set for either new years eve at ufc 125 or super bowl weeked.

http://www.mmaconvert.com/2010/09/04/chael-sonnen-says-anderson-silva-rematch-happens-on-new-years-day-or-super-bowl-weekend/

“There’s absolutely going to be a sequel. Part two is tentatively scheduled for New Year’s weekend, it may take place Super Bowl weekend. Either way, it will be in Vegas. Last time I defeated the myth, this time I’m gonna defeat the man…. The only thing [that's going to be] different is that I’m leaving there with the belt. That’s it. We were one minute away from pulling it off. Look, if I had beat him, I would have had to come back and beat him again anyways. So nothing in my career has changed. I was the best fighter before the fight, I’m the best fighter after it…. We’re not here to get along. I’m not here to be number two. It’s number one or let’s move on, and I think that’s the way it’s supposed to be.”

Advertisement