Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 117 - Discussion ***MOD NOTE POST 909***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

sheehy83 wrote: »
    damn i'm such a noob! im on paddy power site now, how do you pick an accumulator and does it say how much you will win if you enter an amount?

highlight the winner for the first bout you want to bet on 'jds', then click the mouse over said name, this should initiate a virtual bet slip on the righ hand side of the page. keep adding to this by simply clicking on other/more fighters.
    once ya get to 4 bouts/fighters ya can start an accumulator by placing a number(amount you want to bet) in the 'stake' part of the bet slip

hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Weigh ins are on at 12 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks Freeman!!!!

Ok i'm rightly stuck. Do I bet the accumulator and Chael to win (5euro = 250 win) or Silva to win (5 euro = 74 win)

The accumulator with silva to win is much more realistic but i will be kicking myself if chael actually does it! what will i do!!!

EDIT: Jaysus!!! Pick Big Country instead of JDS and the fiver can turn into 700 euro!!!!!!! I seriously think big country will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Hi,
    Just watched MMA live there. They interview Anderson Silva and the interview'sin English and Silva's responses are in English so maybe Cheal's trash talk bout him being able to speak English has gotten to Silva.

More just an observation but any other of trash talk gotten to Silva?

BTW I'm going for Silva Nelson Fitch and Almedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

rovert wrote: »
    You are making the mistake of just looking at height.

I didnt say height bro. He looks like a much bigger bulkier guy than Nelson over all except for his stomach area. This is the most lob-sided fight on the card in JDS favor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

conor678 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just watched MMA live there. They interview Anderson Silva and the interview'sin English and Silva's responses are in English so maybe Cheal's trash talk bout him being able to speak English has gotten to Silva...

He can speak a little English but, even in this interview, it was obvious his English isn't great!

Also, i don't think it was "live" at all, i think it was edited. I wouldnt be surprised if Anderson had a translator but answered in English.

DONE! Accumulator placed on Paddy Power, my very first bet!

Ben Saunders,
    Matt Hughes,
    Clay Guida,
    Big Country
    Thiago Alves
    Anderson Silva.

5 euro = 209 euro for 6 wins.

Only one i'm really worried about is Nelson, i'm really hoping he takes it to the ground. JDS could easily get an early KO! Also, if Sonnen does win, I will....I don't even want to think about what i'd do! Really wish I could watch this live but working saturday night and sunday morning will put a stop to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I didnt say height bro. He looks like a much bigger bulkier guy than Nelson over all except for his stomach area. This is the most lob-sided fight on the card in JDS favor.

Stefan Struve was 6' 11" and ~250lbs, Schraub was about the same size as JDS, 6' 4" and ~240lbs.

He still put both of those on the canvas.

Ben Saunders,
    Matt Hughes,
    Clay Guida
    Big Country
    Thiago Alves
    Anderson Silva.

Good luck with that. Nah just kidding, id bet 5 euro against JDS to if it was for such a big pay out. Im also working Sunday morning so no way im staying up for the fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

hughes, sonnen and big country to win, 25 euro bet on boylesports gets you 1000 euro return :D

enemy wrote: »
    hughes, sonnen and big country to win, 25 euro bet on boylesports gets you 1000 euro return :D

if i picked Sonnen in my bet, i could win 700 instead of 200 but after that press conference, i can really see Silva KO'in Sonnen in round 1. I hope Sonnen will win tho! unless the rest of the accumulator wins that is!

Opinicus wrote: »
    Stefan Struve was 6' 11" and ~250lbs, Schraub was about the same size as JDS, 6' 4" and ~240lbs.

He still put both of those on the canvas.

Ok maybe i shouldnt have mentioned anything about the height/size difference. I never said the size of JDS was gonna win him the fight. His speed, power and technique will

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Was the Sonnen flu story another line of bull**** from him in retrospect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ben Saunders,
    Matt Hughes,
    Clay Guida,
    Big Country
    Thiago Alves
    Anderson Silva.

5 euro = 209 euro for 6 wins.

Only one i'm really worried about is Nelson, i'm really hoping he takes it to the ground. JDS could easily get an early KO! Also, if Sonnen does win, I will....I don't even want to think about what i'd do! Really wish I could watch this live but working saturday night and sunday morning will put a stop to that!

6 man accumulators are nigh on impossible to win, unless they are all basically gauranteed to win. You have too many 50/50's in there and also heavy underdogs in there for this bet to have a chance.

it was the amount of money on offer that attracted you to this accum, but you have to look at the realistic chances of it.

Hughes = Slight Underdog
    Guida = Slight Favourite
    Nelson = Heavy Underdog
    Alves = Slight Favourite

Obviously it would be great if it came through, but I doubt it will though.
    Best of luck with it though. It's always good to see someone on the forum win nice accums:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

enemy wrote: »

IF you win :) worth the 25 bet tho,but imo you just picked the 3 underdogs, i think almeida will be a serious handful for hughes at 170, and really cant see roy beating JDS, and well il leave the silva sonnen fight up in the air :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

I'm going for:

Silva
    Dos Santos
    Fitch (alves could be substituted here as the odds are the same on pp)
    Hughes
    Guida
    Saunders

€10 for €150 back

My picks are

Silva
    Fitch
    Almeida
    Dos Santos
    Saunders
    Hazelett

€10 bet for €110 return, worth a shot

jesus, seems everybody MUST do 6 man accumulators...lads, ill give each of ye 5/1 that none of those will actually pay off :D

callaway92 wrote: »
    jesus, seems everybody MUST do 6 man accumulators...lads, ill give each of ye 5/1 that none of those will actually pay off :D

I did a 8 man accumulator at ufc 108 i think it was and won every one of em, hasnt happened since tho :)

Tones69 wrote: »
    I did a 8 man accumulator at ufc 108 i think it was and won every one of em, hasnt happened since tho :)

Yeah, i won a 7 man accumulator one time.

MMA though is definately the hardest sport on which to put an accumulator!

• Advertisement

Believe me, the more I thought about my picks, the more I was changing them but I will only kick myself if one of my originals wins. Course it was tempting to pick JDS but I can just see Nelson winning this on the ground, plus it will give me a nice bump. Very unlikely all 6 will win but its just a fiver and a nice pay out if it does. Not stupid/brave enough to bet sonnen tho :D

I could get used to this paddy power thing!

Havent done it yet but Ill be doing a €2 Yankee on:
    Davis (not confident on the other undercard fights)
    Fitch
    Silva
    Nelson

€22 to win €101.90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

So..... It says its on the 7th, today being the 6th and after midnight will be the 7th. Is it on tonight then or is it going by the 7th yanky time as in tomorrow night? :S

slyph wrote: »
    So..... It says its on the 7th, today being the 6th and after midnight will be the 7th. Is it on tonight then or is it going by the 7th yanky time as in tomorrow night? :S

3am Sunday Morning our time

Havent done it yet but Ill be doing a €2 Yankee on:
    Davis (not confident on the other undercard fights)
    Fitch
    Silva
    Nelson

€22 to win €101.90

this could well pay off, obviously the quad bet with Nelson in it mightn't come true, but I expect the trebles and most doubles to come through anyway.

how do you see Nelson vs Dos Santos playing out??

JDS knocking Big Country out. Big Country has skills no doubt about it but I don't think he will be able to take the big shots off JDS.

unknown13 wrote: »
    JDS knocking Big Country out. Big Country has skills no doubt about it but I don't think he will be able to take the big shots off JDS.

agreed, ala Arlovski vs Roy

agreed, ala Arlovski vs Roy

Id say Roy is kicking himself he didn't get involved with a brawl with Arlovski because Arlovski's chin is very thin glass. Worst Chin in MMA by a mile.

I know Roy said he doesn't mind standing with JDS but realistically, I can see him taking it to the floor and this is where he will win it. I really like both fighters and would like to see both get a title shot but I really have a niggling feeling Country will take it.

Id say Roy is kicking himself he didn't get involved with a brawl with Arlovski because Arlovski's chin is very thin glass. Worst Chin in MMA by a mile.

james-thompson-3.jpg

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    james-thompson-3.jpg

Both are bad but Arlovski's is worse.

Both are bad but Arlovski's is worse.

I respectfully disagree!

He's lost all but 3 of his last 15 fights and 9 of them have been (T)KO!

Not only has he no chin, he's also a massive punching bag!

this could well pay off, obviously the quad bet with Nelson in it mightn't come true, but I expect the trebles and most doubles to come through anyway.

Hopefully Nelson's belly in Dos Santos's face for a three round decision or late stoppage.

Hopefully Nelson's belly in Dos Santos's face for a three round decision or late stoppage.

Do you believe he has the skills to take down JDS.

Do you believe he has the skills to take down JDS.

Maybe :o

Im hoping training in his living room will pay off. It is more wishful thinking on my part then logical analysis.

Striking - JDS
    Grappling - Nelson
    Wrestling - ?, this is the big question about the fight. Like Silva and Maia.

Striking - JDS
    Grappling - Nelson
    Wrestling - ?, this is the big question about the fight. Like Silva and Maia.

Conditioning over three rounds is other big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Conditioning over three rounds is other big question.

I Honestly think silva was tired in the last 2 rounds of the Maia fight,well thats what rogan thought.

I can't see Country JDS going past the 2nd round. Most likely finish in the 1st round. Watching Nelson training I was wondering why can't he lose the weight? Then I saw the gym in his living room.....right beside his playstation!! Fedor is a bit chubby and look at him (Yes, Nelso looks like he ate Fedor but he can still fight. LOL at Hughes "This is the best press conference I was ever at" and Alves's face everytime Sonnen spoke.

Sidenote, I'm not paying UPC tenner a month for ESPN as UFC is the only thing I would watch on it. Does anyone know if I can order events or channel just for 1 night from UPC?

• Advertisement

Here is a blog post trying to make sense of Sonnen's "Pro Wrestling" antics. It is a spin off article from a ongoing discussion on a Pro Wrestling message board:
    http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/8/6/1609210/ufc-117-so-really-what-is-chael

I think it is on point especially Zach Arnold's comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

really hope junior dos santos beats roy "the belly" nelson, but won't stop me having a sneaky bet on him winning in round 1 @7/1 or by ko 11/2 :D

sonic.trip wrote: »
    really hope junior dos santos beats roy "the belly" nelson, but won't stop me having a sneaky bet on him winning in round 1 @7/1 or by ko 11/2 :D

You sneaky Beaver!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Any links for the press conference. Raging i missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Any links for the press conference. Raging i missed it!

This was back in page 3...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20166/watch-todays-ufc-117-press-conference-live-on-mmajunkie-com-at-4-p-m-et.mma

Just give it half a minute to load and then select it from the top menu.

Weigh in in 7 Mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Weigh in in 7 Mins

ufc.com page still not updated, where did ya find a live feed dude?

EDIT: found it http://www.cagepotato.com/reminder-ufc-117-weigh-ins-live-right-here-700pm-et

ufc.com page still not updated, where did ya find a live feed dude?

EDIT: found it http://www.cagepotato.com/reminder-ufc-117-weigh-ins-live-right-here-700pm-et

http://modulesorigin.ufc.com/live/

30 seconds cant wait!

i really hope alves made weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

...And he didnt :(:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement