Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Right to be Stupid

Options
  • 03-08-2010 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

A recent article claimed that what public officials were calling a "crime wave" was really due to increased citations for relatively minor infractions in California state parks: not wearing lifejackets, nude sunbathing, drinking, etc. Granted, much of the increase in ticketing activity is really about budget cuts, and certainly park rangers need to be on the lookout for forest fires and such, but is it really a crime to go to a national park with some beer and sing around a campfire? Isn't that kind of the point?

While it's easy to dismiss California as just being wacky, there does seem to be a trend in heavily regulating adult decision-making. For example, helmet laws: many will argue that helmets save lives, but if you are willing to ride a motorcycle without one, then you are putting your life at risk, not anyone else's. Others will argue that there is a public health cost, so the law should act in a way to discourage risky behavior, but why only address behavior with an immediate risk (riding without a helmet) and not behavior with a long-term risk (obesity, for example).

Clearly behavior that can cause great harm to others - drunk driving for example - should be regulated. But at what point do we accept the fact that the state can't - or shouldn't even try to - prevent bad things from happening sometimes? I guess the real question is, do we really need to regulate everything that adults do? At a certain point, can't we just sit back and let people be stupid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

cool story bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The article is from America and you're asking if we should let people be stupid ?

There's 4 million Irish and 300 million Americans.
    We'd have to supervise 75 of them each... that's not feasible.

Before I clicked your link, I was thinkin of Darwin Awards...

I think the state should protect it's citizens from each other, not from themselves. Unfortunately they don't do this and have a completely lobsided and illogical set of laws instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Stupid is as stupid does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

At a certain point, can't we just sit back and let people be stupid?

End of any possible discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

if 100 is the average IQ then it means half the country is below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

As long as their right to be stupid doesn't infringe on my right to laugh at them, I don't mind what happens.
    InTheTrees wrote: »

Ireland's average is 93, so more than half are below average :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe issue (on the spot?) fines for stupid offences instead of court although that could be open to abuse. Or for motorists pace an extra, incremental tax on the vehicle for wrongdoing. Only for things that could affect or inconvenience others though.

No way am I in favour of letting off the clowns for whom politeness and courtesy is something unattainable though. Fuck them.

The helmet thing and likewise is interesting though, If it absolutely only affects you, why not? But then you could argue that increased injuries, for example, place a bigger strain on medical resources used by others who do use helmets or, say, increase the risk of removing breadwinners from families. The fact is that an accident has more far-reaching effects than just on the person it befalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

cool story bro

Not a bro, bro. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

O your good:P

• Advertisement

Not necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Can't be right, more than half the population lives outside of Dublin.

Before I clicked your link, I was thinkin of Darwin Awards...

I think the state should protect it's citizens from each other, not from themselves. Unfortunately they don't do this and have a completely lobsided and illogical set of laws instead.

But where do you draw the line? One of the issues was nudism in state parks. Yes, seeing a fat, naked, hairy 60 year old man in the park may make my eyes burn, but it doesn't really cause (lasting) harm (although this seems like it would be uncomfortable...but again, they are only hurting themselves!). Others would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

We should let people be stupid on the condition that they have to be filmed and put on youtube or failblog for the enjoyment of others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Rosie, are you approaching this from a civil liberties point of view?

Rosie, are you approaching this from a civil liberties point of view?

I'd call it a common sense point of view. If adults are only harming (or potentially harming) themselves, then I don't see the point of interfering; I would put life jacket and helmet laws in this category.

I think there is another issue here of "public space" - if it belongs to everyone, then when and how can we put limits on what you do there? Again, if the guiding principle is harm to others, then why ban nudism? If a group of friends are in the park on a nice afternoon having a few beers, and they aren't bothering anyone, then what's the problem? If people are so easily bothered by what other people do in public, then maybe they need to stay home.

Des Carter wrote: »
    We should let people be stupid on the condition that they have to be filmed and put on youtube or failblog for the enjoyment of others

Isn't that what happens already?

stovelid wrote: »
    The helmet thing and likewise is interesting though, If it absolutely only affects you, why not? But then you could argue that increased injuries, for example, place a bigger strain on medical resources used by others who do use helmets or, say, increase the risk of removing breadwinners from families. The fact is that an accident has more far-reaching effects than just on the person it befalls.

OK, but where does this stop? Anything you do as an individual that is stupid and may cause you great harm will have an impact on the people that love you. I would guess that for a lot of people, once they have kids, they scale back their risky behavior - I know a few guys who gave up their street racing motorcycles when they became fathers. But that is an individual decision based on a sense of responsibility - should the state really be responsible for making that decision for everyone?

Finally, if cost to the state is a guiding criteria, then is the cost from helmet-less motorcycle accidents really more pressing than the cost of up to a third of the adult population being obese (as in parts of the US)? Sad to say, but most motorcyclists who get in serious accidents with no helmets cost the state little to nothing because they don't survive. Seriously obese people face years of medical problems. Death by motorcycle accident is quick and cheap; death by chocolate is slow and expensive...based on a purely cost-benefit analysis, which one should we be regulating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

If the government allowed too many stupid people to get themselves killed they would never get reelected

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

"crime wave"....... in state parks.........: not wearing lifejackets, nude sunbathing, drinking, etc.

Well that's my Saturdays fecked! :(

• Advertisement

Finally, if cost to the state is a guiding criteria, then is the cost from helmet-less motorcycle accidents really more pressing than the cost of up to a third of the adult population being obese (as in parts of the US)? Sad to say, but most motorcyclists who get in serious accidents with no helmets cost the state little to nothing because they don't survive. Seriously obese people face years of medical problems. Death by motorcycle accident is quick and cheap; death by chocolate is slow and expensive...based on a purely cost-benefit analysis, which one should we be regulating?

Obesity in the US is caused to a great extent by two things - the control of the food supply by a small number of very large corporations & the socio-economic conditions of those in low paid jobs / on welfare.

It's cheaper to buy unhealthy, mass produced food than it is to eat vegetables & healthier options. Most supermarket foods are highly engineered & almost all come from derivatives of corn & soya beans with vast amounts of nutrient deficient, addictive additives.

To this effect, it is estimated that one third of children born in the US after 2000 will develop type 2 diabetes, rising to two thirds of those from the lower socio-economic classes.

This problem cannot be simply put down to stupidity. There are many other factors involved - the biggest one being the intervention of engineering into the food chain to provide cheap foods - by government backed global corporations & the removal of healthier food options from the budgets of poorer people.

The problem is not as extensive here, but we're not too far behind in some extents.

Obesity in the US is caused to a great extent by two things - the control of the food supply by a small number of very large corporations & the socio-economic conditions of those in low paid jobs / on welfare.

It's cheaper to buy unhealthy, mass produced food than it is to eat vegetables & healthier options. Most supermarket foods are highly engineered & almost all come from derivatives of corn & soya beans with vast amounts of nutrient deficient, addictive additives.

To this effect, it is estimated that one third of children born in the US after 2000 will develop type 2 diabetes, rising to two thirds of those from the lower socio-economic classes.

This problem cannot be simply put down to stupidity. There are many other factors involved - the biggest one being the intervention of engineering into the food chain to provide cheap foods - by government backed global corporations & the removal of healthier food options from the budgets of poorer people.

The problem is not as extensive here, but we're not too far behind in some extents.

So then would you say that the government should seek to reduce the likelihood of harm by, say, ending subsidies for corn and shifting them to fresh produce, or levying a tax on soda the way they did on tobacco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not necessarily.

Thank **** someone else understands averages. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

TPD wrote: »
    Ireland's average is 93, so more than half are below average

It's kind of ironic that in a thread about stupidity we have people making statements demonstrating that they don't understand how averages work.

Considering that we can be sure that comment is going to confuse people (about half of them, yeah?) I suppose I should illustrate. Get the average of the following numbers: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 87. It's 15. Would it be accurate to say that half of those numbers are above 15?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So then would you say that the government should seek to reduce the likelihood of harm by, say, ending subsidies for corn and shifting them to fresh produce, or levying a tax on soda the way they did on tobacco?

They should, but in all likelyhood, won't... the food corporations in the States are far too big & have too much influence over Congress.

It's amazingly short sighted though, as they are basically killing people slowly at a huge cost to the health system.

Not to mention the deaths by e-coli passed on by cattle - who are fed engineered corn instead of grass - through the processing lines & into the food products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I think we should stop policing stupid crimes.

Just let nature take it's course.
    Social Darwinism FTW!

Also, there should be less warning labels.

"Aim away from face"
    "point towards enemy"
    Ect..
    If you can't figure some of these things out on your own, you're a liability to the human race and are just slowing down our evolution.

Think of it... If there wasn't so many batshít mentalist out there that are capable of stuffing their cat into the microwave to dry it, or people who cant wrap their head around the fact that a packet of chocolate covered peanuts "may contain nuts" without being told.
    we could be years ahead of where we are as a society right now.

Let these people wipe themselves out..

I WANT A HOVERBOARD DAMMIT! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Zillah wrote: »
    It's kind of ironic that in a thread about stupidity we have people making statements demonstrating that they don't understand how averages work.

Considering that we can be sure that comment is going to confuse people (about half of them, yeah?) I suppose I should illustrate. Get the average of the following numbers: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 87. It's 15. Would it be accurate to say that half of those numbers are above 15?

Who gave you the right to be smart?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Zillah wrote: »

It's even more ironic that the figures quoted previously as "average IQ" were actually from a study that described "median IQ" (i.e. 3 in the sequence above) and not "mean" as you incorrectly assume, so InTheTrees was correct in his conclusion.

Median is a type of average. InTheTrees is right!

• Advertisement

They should, but in all likelyhood, won't... the food corporations in the States are far too big & have too much influence over Congress.

It's amazingly short sighted though, as they are basically killing people slowly at a huge cost to the health system.

Not to mention the deaths by e-coli passed on by cattle - who are fed engineered corn instead of grass - through the processing lines & into the food products.

To a certain extent I agree. There is no reason to subsidize corn production, either for feed or human consumption. And the way most food is mass-produced in the US is appalling.

That said, there are plenty of people who drink 6 cans of soda a day and eat at McDonald's five days a week. At a certain point, people need to take responsibility for what they put in their bodies. In addition, the expansion of major chains like Wal-Mart has made buying cheaper healthy food a realistic option for a lot of people who wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise - yet people are still overweight, and even more so in areas where Wal-Marts are everywhere. In general I've found that groceries are a lot cheaper in the US than they are in Europe, and even if you don't have great choices in a given area, you still have choices. It's just that too many people make bad ones when it comes to food.
    Wazdakka wrote: »

Also, there should be less warning labels.

"Aim away from face"
    "point towards enemy"
    Ect..
    If you can't figure some of these things out on your own, you're a liability to the human race and are just slowing down our evolution.

Amen.

Advertisement